Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Advice please - days out from Monza.

Advice please - days out from Monza.

Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Cassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really nice
Default Advice please - days out from Monza.

Hi - we are going to the F1 at Monza and will have a few days between arriving in the camp site and the actual race. Can anyone suggest a couple of places we can go on day trips (by public transport)? I was thinking of Lecco and Bergamo and wonder if anyone can recommend these or suggest anywhere else?

Edited to add - not Milan as we have already been there several times.

Many thanks

Last edited by Cassius; Aug 20th 2009 at 8:10 am.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice
Default Re: Advice please - days out from Monza.

Bergamo alta is a nice old town but apart from that not much else to see from what I remember

Here is a link to Lombardia and the various provinces
http://www.turismo.regione.lombardia...142&IDLingua=2

I am biased and would suggest Varese http://www.vareselandoftourism.it/en/index2.html. You can either go into Milan and go to stazione #cadorna (if things have not changed )and take a train to Laveno Monbello and do a tour of lake Maggiore http://www.vareselandoftourism.it/en...i/maggiore.htm

or from stazione Porta Garibaldi take a train to the centre of Varese, the public gardens are nice there is also a small museum (prehistoric artefacts) at the other end of gardens. http://www.vareselandoftourism.it/en.../mirabello.htm from the centre of town you can take a bus to Sacro Monte on a clear day the view of the surrounding area is really good, for this you have 2 options

1) easy option: take bus all the way to Sacro Monte (Bus C from piazza Monte Grappa 5 minutes walk from the city gardens)
2) hard option but worth it: take same bus to prima cappella (first chapel) and walk all the way up. This is not for the faint hearted it is a very steep climb especially the last bit but the views make up for it. Depending how fast one walks and how hot it is the shortest amount of time it took me to get to the top is 1hr. Take plenty of water and don't stop till you get to the end

The other popular place to visit would be a day trip to lake Como

Last edited by clint; Aug 20th 2009 at 11:43 am.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Well I lived in Monza many years ago - however I remember visiting Lake Como - any of the towns Lecco / Bellaggio/ Como - they're all lovely. We got a boat trip on the lake- it was a good way to see all the sights. Then at Como we got the funicular to the to of the hill/mountain there and at the top it was spectacular. I dont know if its still there.
Bergamo alta is very pretty and I loved it. On the way to Bergamo (at Capriate) there is a theme park called Mini Italy. The whole of Italy done in miniature.
Lake Maggiore is also beautiful if you can get a train/bus maybe from Milan.
There are the 3 islands in the lake and it's stunning.

ps. forgot to add - near the monza race track, in the same park , there is (or was) a large public swimming pool - great for a relaxing day. And also the race track is in a huge park area and you used to be able to rent bikes. They used to have a few animals in the park but maybe not anymore ? Sorry it was a very long time ago I lived there.

Last edited by Patty; Aug 21st 2009 at 10:05 pm. Reason: add bit
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

ForzaItalia21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not far from Monza there's also Cesano Maderno where you can visit the Palazzo Arese Borromeo. There is a guided tour on Saturdays and Sundays and you can wander through its park; nearby there's also the Parco regionale delle Groane which offers a breathtaking landscape of woodland, moorland and ancient country houses to be enjoyed either on foot or by bike.
Info: Comune di Cesano Maderno website at: www.cesano.com

Buona permanenza!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:33 am
Just Joined

fkaprotz is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Como, the lakes, Bergamo alta. Brescia isn't bad either - interesting city centre. If you're into the outdoors, definitely head for the mountains.

Near Monza you can also go for a fantastic lunch with an amazing view at Montevecchia...but you may have to book ahead on weekends, just check over the phone with restaurants there.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cassius
Hi - we are going to the F1 at Monza and will have a few days between arriving in the camp site and the actual race.
Hi Cassius

Did you go to the race and did you enjoy it?

We went on Fri, Sat and Sunday and had a great time. The cars are so fast and so loud. It was a treat to walk around the track after the race.

Did you see Scooby Doo and his friends, and also the guy (supporting McLaren I think) in the full silver bodysuit, complete with red mankini?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Cassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really niceCassius is just really nice

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice, we seemed to run out of time and did Monza town a couple of times (the Duomo is awesome) and Lecco - but I am sure there will be another time to try other suggestions.

Really enjoyed race days, we were one of those camped right by the fence so were able to stand on the roof of our van and watch the race for free (hope Bernie's not reading this!!!).