Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Advice from Northern exapts (Reggio Emilia)

Advice from Northern exapts (Reggio Emilia)

Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:15 am
Just Joined

jessabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice from Northern exapts (Reggio Emilia)

Ive been reading this forum for a long time and thought I should post at some point
We have finally decided to make the move to Reggio Emilia. We are originally from Australiab but migrated to UK about 4 years ago and should also say that we have a 1.5 yr old daughter. I've done alot of research but still have a few questions that would help me alot if anyone could help.

We are looking to make the move in about 18 months which means that our daughter will be almost 3. Anyone move with a child this age? My only worry is that we will go from her being around loads of other children her age (church,friends, and toddler group) but when we move she wont have them .. at least not at first. We do have friends in Reggio Emilia and one of my best friends in which her family has adopted us their own many years ago so she loves them everytime we visit but realistic I worry about the longevity of that when they are simply tired of being around a toddler. I'm also worried about the move in itself as we plan to drive with our car from Kent to Reggio Emilia. So far from what I have researched it will take us about 14 hours but need to do a bit more research about specifics..however I know that is alot for a young child in a vehicle.

I am also concerned about if we should bother with taking all of our furniture or just take the things we cant bare to leave and then simply buy new things ..such as bed, lounge, dinning tables..ect ect. Im not sure what the cost would be for moving so I suppose that makes the difference. If the cost of actually moving it is worth it or better to spend the money on simply buying nice new furniture..to be honest I would want to..tee hee

Also have been just having a look at rental properties at the moment just for a bit of research for the future and seems to be hard to just find things on the net...and wondering if I should just have a look the next time Im there (we are usually there every 4-6 months or so) I haven't seen many properties such as semi detached houses or even town house for rent ..can only find them for sale..which leaves only apartments to rent which we really rather not...

I hope that this came out resonably understandable..haahha I feel like I have so many more questions but wont bombard you ....for now!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:39 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice from Northern exapts (Reggio Emilia)

Hello and welcome,

Children in Italy can start pre-school at the age of three and they stay there 3 years. I say 'can' because it is not obligatory. Proper school starts at age 6. She'll probably make friends there if you send her. The cost of the council ones around here are about 100 euro per month and that's mostly for school dinners which I always found to be fresh and healthy. No frozen crappy chicken nuggets, chips and burgers etc. There have been other mums on here who put their kids into that kind of school as soon as they arrived and they all seemed to get on okay and learnt Italian a lot faster than their parents.

As for the car journey, never done it by car with kids. What about buying a cheap portable DVD player for her to use in the back seat? I don't let my kids watch loads and loads of TV but in this case I'd say it might be worth it. Maybe some colouring books too or other toys, and a pillow and a blanket. And lots of wee wee stops

There are threads on here about the cost of vans or shipping furniture and stuff. You should know that Italian standard double beds are bigger than the UK ones, they are more like king size. UK double sheets etc. will not fit a bed here if you buy a bed from an Italian shop. Ikea probably does different sizes though.

Don't worry about bombarding us with questions. We'll help if we can.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks Lorna at Vicenza, that was very helpful to read. I think that I will look into doing the same thing with my duaghter. I was hoping I could put her in some sort of preschool for 3 days a week or something to help her to meet friends as well since she is an only child (and most likely always be) I would hate for her to feel lonley if you know what I mean. I mentioned your comment to my friend and she will now ask a few co workers and friends to where they might send their children to give me some ideas of local preschools

As for the drive..our car has DVD players built into the backseats so am set up for that..she also has her own ipad and will be using games toys ect and puttingher favourite pillow pet with her in the back. When I spoke to my friend she asked if I would like her to fly out before we move and make the drive with us so that my daughter will have some company in the backseat so that might be an option.

I am aware of the bed sizes there and so thankful that the beds are a little bigger otherwise every time we stay in Italia we would not fit (my husband is 6'5 and 125kgs) hahahaha
One of the reasons I was wanting to bring our bed is that we will be bringing a super king bed and I don't think you can even buy that size in Italia at least I haven't found one yet..so maybe we should just bring our own..especially since we have just bought a new bed for us. I did do an extensive search about moving items over but seems to be that everyone only spoke about what was less expensive and what was more expensive but did not give many recent figures so Im still not sure how to even look at it as for budgeting ect...I suppose Ill have to get a quote and then decide from there. I'm thinking that maybe we will take some things and then just buy some other things there as I really really want a new lounge..hahaha

Another question is that do you know a list of things that I will need to actaully be approved for renting a property without any problem?
For starters:
I know that we will need to get a Codice Fiscale. Am I able to get this when I visit the last time before we move..Im thinking that we will most likely visit the month before we make the drive so if we are able to go in and apply for this during that week or so it could make things easier..as I am able to use my friend's address ect.

Is there anything else I am able to do whilst we visit during that month to make things easier? I was hoping to actually go for a property then and that way we can actually have a place to live when we go there instead of looking after we have arrived. When we moved to the UK from Aus..we did everything on-line so had a property as soon as we landed but Im sure that its not as easy to do so for Italia..but having people there is helpful as my friend is willing to do anything we need.

So beyond the Codice Fiscale what other items do I need in order to rent a home?
As for payment. I know that we need a deposit of possibly 3 months. Is that correct? We will also have enough money to show that we can pay rent and completly live for about 4 years without needing to work..so Im not sure if they will want to see that as my husband does not have a job in Italia. However with that said he does work at a very high income in the UK and quite possisably will be doing some work still with them from Italia every so often...or (hopefully..fingures crossed) will be working at his International office in Milano...so what sort of things can we show that we are responsiable with paying our rent...I know this might be hard if there is no local job to show for.
When we moved to the Uk we just offered to pay rent for 6 months the landlord was happy. If we love property we would be willing to do so again of course.

OK that's all for now..thanks in advance again.

Last edited by jessabella; Apr 16th 2012 at 8:03 am.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:02 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't done the car journey in a few years, but it is quite doable and the French side can be done avoiding the motorways if you wish.

Renting a furnished flat short time is a great way to look round and see what's on offer before committing longer term. A lot of places are rented out by word of mouth and not through an agent. There are usually houses available. Don't go for anything too big - the leccy and gas bills will kill you!

The furniture is a tough one. There are a couple of people on here who move smaller amounts of stuff - Euroman and Van, Man and a Van. Depends on how much you are attached to your stuff. Quirky kids furniture is limited and dear here. N.B. Kitchens aren't usually furnished here.

Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:07 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Not a Northern Expat but a couple of points that might be helpful:

- I applied for my codice fiscali in UK (thru the Italian Consulate) and didn't wait until I got out here so I could hit the ground running.

- Renting; it was 2 months deposit for a furnished apartment, and there was first months rent = 3 months, not forgetting the agents fee, which pretty much came to another month's rent.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:11 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a CdF is no big deal. You can even get one from the Embassy in London -if things haven't changed. You need one each, including daughter. You'll also need to sort out some sort of health insurance either through the UK, OH's work or private insurance. A EHIC card isn't enough to get residency.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:13 am
Just Joined

thanks for the advice 37100...when say the kitchesn arent usually furnished what do you mean?? no fridge, cooker??
As for furniture..Im only really attatched to my tv, bed, funky writing desk and of course gutair rig...but other than that can really care less..a few bits and pieces such as paintings and what not but not really fussed about other items..and also thinking of buying an investment property before go so if we do so could just quit possiably put our furniture in as a furnished property or either will just sell what we dont want to take..

Im not really interested in renting a furnished flat for a short term but that is a great idea..I think if we arent able to find something before we move then will just stay at my friends place as she has room for us all until we find something.

Knowing that alot things in in Reggio Emilia is by word of mouth Im not surprised that things like this is the same....funny thing is that today my friend actually told me that the neighbour behind her asked her to ask us if we would be interested in buying their home...how funny..its not even on the market but they really want to sell it.
ps would die to buy this house by the way! hahahaha
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:18 am
Just Joined

oh good to know that we can start things early....will get the Codice Fiscale possiably in the UK then..thanks for the tip as did not know my duaghter would need one..
As for health insurance, yes we were prepared to get private insurance....we were thinking to take out a UK international insurance so that would cover us in Italia just before we go (say a month ect) Do you think this is a good idea.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:24 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.conslondra.esteri.it/Cons...ce+Fiscale.htm

this link takes you to the page for getting codice fiscale, which Italian Consulate you have to apply to for your codice fiscale depends on where you are in the UK.

You may have to apply to Manchester or Edinburgh depending on where you live but it is all on the website
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:27 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

The pre-schools around here only do five days per week so you wouldn't be able to choose just 3. They do however offer the option of mornings only.

The codice fiscale is one of the easiest things to get here. You need to go to the Agenzia delle Entrate armed with your passports and you should be able to get it on your next trip.
It's been a long time since I got mine. I was given a paper one and years later they sent me a plastic one. I don't know how it works now, if they still give paper ones and then post on the plastic ones.

I don't see why you can't start looking at rental properties on your next trip. You could go to all the estate agents in town, tell them what you're looking for and see what they come up with. They should also be able to tell you about deposits and how many months rent they want upfront. Some rental places will be furnished, others won't. Many of the unfurnished ones don't have a kitchen - literally. Not even a kitchen sink so when you're thinking about furniture you might want to factor in the cost of a cheap Ikea kitchen.

I haven't rented for a long time but I don't think I was asked to prove I could afford the place. If I was, I probably just showed them my wage packet to prove I was working. Any reasonable person should accept that or your bank statements. I think I had to give 3 months as a deposit and one month's rent. Somebody else will probably come along with more recent info on this than me.

Because none of you will be working here, you won't be able to get the NHS service. You will need to set up some private health insurance. The town hall will want proof of this as well when you go to apply for residency.
Make sure you bring all birth certificates and marriage certificates etc. You never know which person behind which desk is going to ask for something.
Knowing what I do now, I'd bring every official bit of paper that you have and also get a couple of sets of passport sized photos done too. I know the booths in Asda are a lot cheaper than the 12 euro I was asked for here.

I'd also start stocking up on cheap UK paracetamols, Ibuprofen, Calpol, Vicks, cough syrup etc. as medicines are not that cheap here. 8 euro for a bottle of kiddy neurofen in the chemist.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Great idea about the medication..I completely forgot about that..
We do plan to get health insurance as not sure if hubby will be working in Italia or not..hope so though as he would get pretty bored if he wasnt..he loves working.
Thanks for the tip about bringing all formal forms..will have to try to find what we can..dont think we have birth certificates in the Uk ..except for my daughter of course. eekkk

wow no kitchen sink..I couldnt imagine..oh dear..okay will look forward to fitting out my own kitchen then..hahahah that would make sense to why some places I find for rent look nice and others look like a big hole in the kitchen..I thought i was imagining it..hahaha
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

Welcome Jessabella!

A couple of small points I'd like to add.... the passport photos in the UK are a slightly different size to the ones here so it may not work getting them done in the UK before you come - it's something I tried myself and failed with!

Also, with the codice fiscale, I applied for mine a couple of years ago and was given a paper document and I always have a copy of it with me. I asked about a plastic card but wasn't entitled to one as it is only issued if you are also entitled to the Italian health system as it is now a card for both things.

As to deciding to bring your stuff or not, if I could turn back the clock I would have brought absolutely everything! Instead I forced myself to reduce my belongings by half, put the remainder in storage in the UK and had a man with a van and trailer bring it over when I had found a permanent house. He charged me 1,500 pounds, but with hindsight the size of the load would have made little difference to the price, and things are so much more expensive here, and there are lots of funny little things that are impossible to find. I still miss things that I sold for peanuts or gave away before I came
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Hi Jessabella and welcome.

Reggio Emilia is an interesting choice especially regarding your child's education/care as it's always quoted as being one of the most 'advanced' places for methods and approaches in that field.
I spoke to a lady in UK recently about holistic child education and she said she'd been to R.E. to see some schools there.
But as the others have already said it's pretty much 'compulsory' to get your child into some kind of scuola materna (aka asilo) - it'll also help you intergrate socially, as adults. My own experience is that we couldn't get our daughter into a council-run one as there was such a long waiting list and we were 'high' earners (ie. not very high but with two salaries). Maybe things are better now, and as I said RE is supposed to be the vanguard of this kind of thing.

Good luck - oddly RE is the only city/province in Emilai Romagna I've never visited!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Hi,

I was going to say the same as Mark about Reggio Emilia's famous preschool education! Also, as Lorna says, they do part time differently here. My daughter isn't preschool age yet, but nurseries here do part time as every morning/every afternoon a week, rather than choosing certain days. We're in Modena, not far from where you're moving to.

Good luck with everything!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mark.you know funny thing I had never heard anything about the RE approach until I first visited and then as I started to google and research google continued to come up with this sort of education instead of Italian english course..which I was at the time looking for..hahaha..I think that will be an advantage..when my friends family went on for years about how RE was the best at this and that and known for this and that I thought they were juts being proud Italalians as all my Itialian friends claim that their region is the best..but after researching it is in fact known for its education and supperior gelato ..so hey cant lose in that sense..hahahaha if anything I might have an educated daughter and round belly full of gelato..hahahaha
Ill have to look into what we are entitled to as for council ect as we would most definantly be considered high earners..I dont mind payin gfor it if it is worth it..but also have thought that if she is going to be there every morning that opens up alot of time for me to do other things..now my head is spinning with all sort of ideas.
Thanks for the ideas about moving as well everyone...I think we will take all the things we like except for a new lounge as we were looking to buy new ones anyway...Or do you think we aught to buy it here and take it..as I know what I want already...
On the the other hand ...how long does it take for say a man and van sort of person to take things over..say we ship it all off the day before we make the drive...and we plan to do it over 3 days..stopping here and there to sightsee maybe..
Is it possiable for the items to arrive before we do or just around the same time..would be nice to have it arrive the day after or so forth so we could just move in..ect.

Does anyone know how long

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.