Reload this Page >

Advice needed - where to live?

Advice needed - where to live?

Old Aug 6th 2018, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

scenista is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed - where to live?

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and would love to get your feedback.

We are planning to move to Italy within a year or so (from the UK with an Irish passport).

I am self-employed and can work anywhere with a decent internet connection. My wife is Mexican with fluent Spanish, English and some solid Italian. I speak French and Spanish, so will have to learn.

No kids, just two dogs and two cats.

So far, I have narrowed down the initial criteria to the following:
  1. More north than south
  2. Old town, not a city, or village or rural
  3. Light tourism
  4. Decent internet connection
  5. Buying a detached house, if possible - budget is 200,000-250,000 Euros cash
  6. Some modest land with parking i.e. large garden
  7. Nearer a coast would be a bonus
  8. Colder winters are not a major issue
I wondered if you had any recommendations on towns or regions for us to scout later in the year.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - where to live?

Where have you visited in Italy before?

Why more North than South?

Earworms for rapid Italian learning
Old Aug 7th 2018, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of detail of what you are after, but one man’s paradise is another man’s hell. You probably need to get a better idea of what you are looking for i.e. a lot of requirements contradict each other as far as Italy is concerned e.g. good internet, but not city, land in a town. Not saying it is not possible, but with all due respect you are doing the right thing to get advice!I would suggest you look at a couple of the bigger house agents casa.it and/or italiancase.it stick in your requirements and have a look at a few of the houses they have and do a google street view tour of the area(s). If you want to be north, then there is your first split. I would look into where the mountains are, assuming you do not want to be in amongst them, which side you would like to be. Do you want access to an airport, big city, good roads, away from earthquakes and any other specific requirement you or your family have. From what you have said and the amount you have to buy it would rule out a few places e.g. south Toscana, but likely not the north. There will be many places where you will get an awful lot for that amount of money, but getting the rest to fit might pose more of a problem – enjoy!
Earworms I had never heard of, but the example does sound very good for rapid learning of the basics, thanks Mrs T.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice.

By north, I mean down to Rome. My business is technology, so I would like to be within a better infrastructure, internet (normal ADSL is sufficient), good transport links (with an airport serving London regularly within 100km), a more developed work ethic and possible clients in the longer-term.

By land, I only mean a reasonably sized garden, for the dogs.

I have worked in Milan and Rome and visited Como, Venice, Padua, Verona, Lerici, La Spezia, Viareggio, Florence, Lucca, Siena, Pisa, San Gimignano, Genoa, Rome, Naples, Amalfi, Positano, Salerno and Palermo.

So far, my research shows smaller towns in Tuscany (towards to Lerici) to be promising. I haven't completely ruled out the south. Any suggestions, MrsTeapot?
Old Aug 7th 2018, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

From everything youve said I reckon you'll be looking at a modern town, or modern suburbs of an older historical centre. There youll get what you are looking for - somewehre like Argenta, near Ferrara. If you want a pretty old town you will have tourism, fewer detached houses and a lack of gardens unless out in the suburbs. But youhave loads and loads to choose from. You need to hone in on a region for all he points Geordieborn pointed out, and then hone in further.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Is around Lucca or Siena the type of area you are after? I'm quite rural and only use the internet for general stuff and a wifi dongle suit me fine, just checked and it says I'm getting 11Mbps download and over 4 upload. People around me use wifi ASDL and it's common throughout Italy, not sure it's better, but likely much more stable. The only way to really find out is to be on the ground and testing the speed a few times. Either of the above towns should have good access.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that information. I am currently thinking of flying into Pisa in October and exploring around Lerici, Lucca and Siena and parts in-between. Will sign up to a couple of property sites and arrange some random viewings. When I have moved abroad before, I found some very useful agents on the ground who were indispensable.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

Geordieborn - I tried so many CD's and online things and phone apps but at the end of the day, the ONLY one that stuck forever into my memory was Earworms. The others just stuck temporarily. Its set to a specific rhythm (music) that goes directly into the memory part of your brain. You can mix and match the sentences. I would find myself suddenly blurting out whole sentences without thinking. There are only three in the series but its enough to start someone off successfully and quickly. Top tip - do what it advised and read the words along with it at least once. It really helps with learning how to spell in Italian and take in what you are hearing. After that, you just listen. I used to put it on in the car and when I was cooking in the kitchen.

Scenista I like immobiliare.it and have done exactly as Geordieborn says - I use Google maps to 'walk' through the area. At least you've visited Italy lots so have an idea. Often people come on here asking for ideas where to live but they've never visited Italy before. Your suggested area's sound good. I'm more about Southern Italy so no good asking me about the North.

Good luck

Last edited by MrsTeapot; Aug 7th 2018 at 12:13 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by modicasa
From everything youve said I reckon you'll be looking at a modern town, or modern suburbs of an older historical centre. There youll get what you are looking for - somewehre like Argenta, near Ferrara. If you want a pretty old town you will have tourism, fewer detached houses and a lack of gardens unless out in the suburbs. But youhave loads and loads to choose from. You need to hone in on a region for all he points Geordieborn pointed out, and then hone in further.
Modicasa, that is brilliant advice.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Scenista, Most people are on holiday atm so you might not get many responses on here right now. One thing I thought of since replying to you, is dog walking can be problematic. How do you like to walk your dogs? From your front door? From a car? If you are in countryside where you are lucky enough to find somewhere good to walk your dogs you might find the local farmers put down poison or you are in Truffle hunting country and there is something in the back of my mind that vaguely remembers a sort of threat of other dogs in Truffle hunting areas. Also I've heard of farmers and guns. Dog walking is not the same as in the UK. However, you can find areas. I seem to remember watching a video on youtube where someone British walked their dog in countryside around Lucca - so as that was on your list - check it out. Not all Italians walk their dogs like we do. Also beaches are often likely closed in the Summer to dogs so if that is on your list, check that out too. There will be exceptions somewhere but it does require research. Owning dogs in Italy can be different experience to owning dogs in UK. That said, if you have a little dog, they are often welcome into bars etc.

The best thing to do is rent in various areas, live as much like a local as you can, and suss the area out.

Last edited by MrsTeapot; Aug 7th 2018 at 9:27 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrsTeapot
The best thing to do is rent in various areas, live as much like a local as you can, and suss the area out.
I agree absolutely. Although we thought we knew the area, we rented for a couple of years initially which gave us a much deeper knowledge of the what would make a good - and importantly - what would make a poor location. Some towns were blasted by winds sweeping down from mountain passes while others only five km away were sheltered. Some towns had ADSL others not (we are in a village and have reasonable 25-30Mbps download speed because we have line of sight to a satellite repeater station).
I would say that here in prosecco-land at least 30% of properties are for sale either openly or more quietly, so in theory there should be ample choice: however, the vast majority are older (poorly built in the boom years of the 60s and 70s), too large and way too expensive when you include the cost of bringing them up to a good enough standard. Many houses here have been for sale for 10 or more years; the asking prices are ludicrously high which is why they aren't shifting. The would-be sellers seems incapable of pricing a property to sell and in the current economic climate few change hands. This explains why we bought a small plot and built our house: completed to a high spec and fully fitted out in 8 months.
Just small variations in an area make a difference. We are in the foothills of the Dolomites, an hour from Venice airport and the north Adriatic coast. Thankfully we are not 10km south in the flat plain of the pianura padana where the smog can blanket everything keeping the heat in in summer and where greyness can last for days or weeks in winter.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks Plan B, some very useful information.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

fliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the rough

Can I suggest somewhere in the Lago Trasimeno area in Umbria. Our local town is Castiglione del Lago - about 10,000 people. Tourists in the summer but not too many. Plenty of restaurants open all year. English language cinema throughout the year and Sotto le stelle in the summer. In a great location in terms of access. We live 10kms outside the town on the border with Tuscany and we’re about 15 mins from the nearest autostrada entrance and the same from Chiusi for trains everywhere. At the end of the year the fast trains will be stopping there. Also a station in CdL. Halfway between Florence and Rome and easy access to lots of beautiful places with lots going on. A range of property - I think you would easily get something suitable for your budget. Also 4G available in town and surrounds. We have internet via satellite and usually have mid twenties mbps. There are another 2 lakes nearby - Chiusi and Montepulciano so access to water. We love it here
Old Aug 12th 2018, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fliss59
Can I suggest somewhere in the Lago Trasimeno area in Umbria. Our local town is Castiglione del Lago - about 10,000 people. Tourists in the summer but not too many. Plenty of restaurants open all year. English language cinema throughout the year and Sotto le stelle in the summer. In a great location in terms of access. We live 10kms outside the town on the border with Tuscany and we’re about 15 mins from the nearest autostrada entrance and the same from Chiusi for trains everywhere. At the end of the year the fast trains will be stopping there. Also a station in CdL. Halfway between Florence and Rome and easy access to lots of beautiful places with lots going on. A range of property - I think you would easily get something suitable for your budget. Also 4G available in town and surrounds. We have internet via satellite and usually have mid twenties mbps. There are another 2 lakes nearby - Chiusi and Montepulciano so access to water. We love it here
Some really useful stuff here and I will definitely check it out. Thanks for taking the time.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

So far, I have identified some interesting properties in Lunigiana (Northern Tuscany in the mountains behind La Spezia). Specifically in and around Pontremoli. We are going to scout in October but I need to find another region to check out that is within a reasonable drive. So suggestions are welcome.

Meantime, I am doing quite well with DuoLingo. Having French and Spanish helps a little.