Reload this Page >

Advice Needed RE Moving!

Advice Needed RE Moving!

Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

amy.smithyy93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Needed RE Moving!

Hi everyone.

My names Amy, I'm 19, I live in England, UK and I'm a single mum to my 6 month old baby. I have no job or college history but I did get good GCSE results. I have about £400 in the bank.

I would like to move to France or Italy. I don't mind which. I would just like a new start in a new country, hopefully where my baby can have a better life. I would like to be employed and be able to provide for my baby myself. I would like to live in a place where it has a British expat community.

I was wondering if anyone could help?
I would like:
- opinions on my plan: good or bad idea?
- any advice? I need it!
- suggestions of good towns to move in to, which have a British expat community.
- advice in looking for work and housing etc?
- advice on whether I will be able to do this financially?

Thanks, I just really want to do this x
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:24 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed RE Moving!

Hello Amy and welcome to the forum.

I really, really don't want to tell you that it's going to be almost impossible to live and work in Italy - but it will be damn hard.

Unemployment is high here and it's tough to find work. Without any Italian you have few options.

Things here are not as cheap as they used to be. Childcare costs a small fortune in most places and things like medicines for children are not free - nor is the dentist or glasses. If a person is not working here they won't be able to sign up to the national health system so you'll have to have private health insurance.

I don't want to sound like a patronising old cow - but you are young and have time to research your plans, save up some more money and perhaps start studying French or Italian.

I really hope you find a way to fulfill your dreams.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:54 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amy, I wouldn't want to put you off following your dream but from the little info you have provided, I would say financially it's not possible therefore it would really be a bad idea. There are too many factors to overcome -

1. Income (unless you have access to allowances, child support, benefits, parents, etc.)
2. Housing (2 months in advance and 2 months deposit at least)
3. Language barrier (learn Italian otherwise you will have great problems communicating)
4. Childcare (expensive)
5. Support network (do you have friends, colleagues, family to fall back on?)

The biggest expat communities will obviously be found in the tourist spots like Garda or business centres like Milan and Rome.

My advice would be to start afresh someplace else in the UK, at least for a few years.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both of you
I don't think it's patronising at all, I want to know the truth. Rather than get there and have a big reality check x
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

lisajw will become famous soon enoughlisajw will become famous soon enough

Hi Amy

I don't know much about how it works, but have you thought about Au Pair work? I'm sure you can find lots of information about this on the net. Of course, having a baby makes things a bit more difficult, but you may find options where you and the little one can live in, speak English and learn Italian whilst supporting yourself and your baby at the same time.

Of course, you need to be careful and safe, but as a mum I'm sure that's paramount for you. And I'd suggest you save a bit more money while doing all your planning.

I'm 38 now... but like you, was a mum at 19 to a six-month old. I never let anyone dampen my dreams. Go for yours... they're a bit harder to reach with a little one in toe... but not impossible!

Best of luck to you both with all you do, Lisa
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Ooh I'll look into that Lisa that's a good idea actually.
Yeah I refuse to be another statistic, I want to do something with my life and provide for my baby with MY own money, rather than government benefits.
It's good that the baby could know two different languages in a foreigne country, it's always beneficial.
Thanks again x
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

hi amy yes you can acheve your dream and move to italy . you can do as my mother did when i was a small baby and she wanted to get away from my father ,, She went into service as it was called then , you get a live in job with food and logings all in , advertise in expat forums , but look out for dirty old men ? as it would be difucult to get home from a foregn country if things go pear shaped , go for somthing like babey sitter or cook , or just house sitter good luck
Old Apr 7th 2012, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Oh your mum did the same then?
So is it basically a baby sitting/house sitting type job? Where it's a possibility that it would be live in, so me and my baby could live there (therefore it wouldn't be such a financial strain) x
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:47 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

I sent you a message, I always need teleappointment people who can work from anywhere.

This means you can try the work in the UK before you take the leap, also can put a little money away too.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I'll take a look now and reply x
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Good luck to you .. I can only admire your courage.

Keep in touch
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!
I see you live in Italy? How do you find it? Are you originally from the UK or..?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by amy.smithyy93
Thank you!
I see you live in Italy? How do you find it? Are you originally from the UK or..?
Me? yes ... originally from UK .. been here 26 years.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Yeah wow that's a long time! Do you prefer it there then!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Pros and cons to be found in all places Amy.

The wine is certainly better and a lot cheaper here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.