Is it really that bad?

Old May 3rd 2005, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Phil Newton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it really that bad?

After browsing around the forums for a while, it seems like the IT market in the US has really dried up. As someone who wants to work in the US as a programmer, this is obviously something of a worry.

I'll be graduating from university this year, most likely with a 2:2. It seems people with better qualifications and plenty of experience are struggling, so is there really any chance of me getting a job in the US?

My girlfriend lives there but doesn't want to get married yet, and she can't come here because she's still studying at college and can't afford to come here and study. It seems like me getting a H1-B is the only option, but even that seems to be practically impossible. Is it really as bad as it sounds?
Old May 4th 2005, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it really that bad?

Basically it not just the IT sector in the US that is hurting.
There is no shortage of IT graduates or Americans that have been laid off in the IT industry. Even the local and state governments are outsourcing now.
Old May 5th 2005, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil Newton
... Is it really as bad as it sounds?
yeah it is, your uni will have sod all kudos over here unless it's either OxBridge, so you'd need a lot of experience to temp someone to bother with the cost and time of an H1B...as they cost a few grand, wouldn't get a visa till Oct anyway...

You considered doing a masters over here? how about trying for intern job training positions? not easy to get either, but would have a better chance.
Old May 5th 2005, 7:32 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Yes it is.

Its not just the USA but worldwide apart from India where a lot of the jobs from England have gone to .... so if you like hot weather and curries ....
Old May 9th 2005, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Phil Newton is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback cabritpop, Bob and BAY. I really appreciate it.

I'm really not that keen on studying much longer, so I think I'll try for an internship. I could really use the experience, and I'd enjoy it a lot more.

Thanks again for your help!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

I think outsourcing is way over-hyped. Outsourcing has its share of problems for companies trying to leverage the cost benefit, and it hasn't really hit in the US. I don't see it as a threat - certainly not in the next five years. Companies have a goal to outsource 10% of their labor, and they are not even getting close to touching that figure.

Fears of a dry market have people clutching onto their jobs, and tolerating whatever crap their managers do to make their job tough. Yet recruiters are constantly pressuring me to take the next gig, and I have to fight them off to get a vacation. It may be dry in particular parts of the country, but those willing to travel shouldn't be seeing employment hardships.

But I do recommend leaving the US for other reasons.. civil liberties being destroyed by the republican regime to name a big one.