IT Qualifications?

Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Qualifications?

Hi,

My husband is an IT Support Analyst, he is working on an older system due to his company. He has an office in Sydney, but we want to move to Perth.

He has had 2 years experience, but no qualifications. What are employers looking for? What qualifications or computer packages?

What is the going rate for analysts?

Thanks.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:07 am
Just Joined

judithkecks is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: IT Qualifications?

Originally Posted by angel659
Hi,

My husband is an IT Support Analyst, he is working on an older system due to his company. He has an office in Sydney, but we want to move to Perth.

He has had 2 years experience, but no qualifications. What are employers looking for? What qualifications or computer packages?

What is the going rate for analysts?

Thanks.
You can search online for rates in Syndney, Australia as an IT Support Analyst. If you want to land bigger rates then get lots of certifications.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:00 pm
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: IT Qualifications?

I'm an IT Support Analyst and moving to Brisbane in July. There seems to be a good market for Support positions and what looks to be good salaries too. I have 8 years experience working in a Desktop/Server 2/3 line support role. I'm currently studying for my Microsoft Certification (MCITP Enterprise Admin) and aiming for more of a senior role when I get over. I'm also going to do Prince2 (Project Management) and if I have time ITIL (Services Management) for good measure.

Although a lot of the advertise position don't state that certifications etc are required, I would bet my first Ozzie pay cheque that they’re going to make me more desirable to hire, well that’s the idea.

I would also add that the next big technology which is already taking over is VMWare (Virtualisation) and if your husband can get any certs in this, he'll be a strong candidate.

In fact I think I'll forget the ITIL Cert and go for VMWare...
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

He needs to be prepared though. The ceritifications, whilst definitely useful, are one of the dullest and most tedious things you can ever have to go through, not least because they teach you to recite information as opposed to thinking for yourself.

I did my most recent exam earlier this year and I have a few under my belt now (CompTIA and MCP's) but I've officially given up on them now and it's also worth stating that no number of them will seem to have the same weight on paper as a good degree.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:35 am
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
He needs to be prepared though. The ceritifications, whilst definitely useful, are one of the dullest and most tedious things you can ever have to go through, not least because they teach you to recite information as opposed to thinking for yourself.

I did my most recent exam earlier this year and I have a few under my belt now (CompTIA and MCP's) but I've officially given up on them now and it's also worth stating that no number of them will seem to have the same weight on paper as a good degree.
I agree with everything you've said but the degree, I've beaten many our candidates to quite a few positions due to my experience. I've also had many friends with degrees who have lost out to jobs to people with experience.

Please don't think that I'm saying Certs. will guarantee you a job over others but with a good CV and well detailed list of experience...I personally think you should be in better shape.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:42 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave.McLeod
I agree with everything you've said but the degree, I've beaten many our candidates to quite a few positions due to my experience. I've also had many friends with degrees who have lost out to jobs to people with experience.

Please don't think that I'm saying Certs. will guarantee you a job over others but with a good CV and well detailed list of experience...I personally think you should be in better shape.
Oh no, absolutely I 100% agree with that, there is no rival for good work experience in this industry to the level that it's pretty much set apart from most other white collar fields, based upon that reason alone. You can be certified up to the teeth but companies will still want to see what you've done already in the field before they will let you get your hands on anything important. I was on the MCSA track until recently and I worked with a guy last year who had a CCNA but we both still doing 2nd line support. There's a lot of wasted talent in this field as well unfortunately for that very reason.

I've met people straight out of Uni from IT and CompSci degrees as well and they haven't got a clue about anything relevant, some of whom to the level where they don't even know what Active Directory is or understand the term 'RDP'.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

jenil is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post,
I am new member for this site so please guide me.