IT Project Manager

Old Sep 21st 2006, 6:05 am
  #31  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Sandringham, Vic
Posts: 350
Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all
Default Re: IT Project Manager

Hi...

I have been working as an IT Project Manager in Perth for 18 months now and am happy to help if anyone wants advice on jobs or contacts in the industry here. I worked in London when we were in the UK so have experienced a significant drop in salary coming here, although it is slowly creeping up with the candidate shortages we have here at the moment.

PM me if you want any info on agencies or consultancies that would be worth getting in touch with.

Cheers

Paul
Paul and Chloe is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:31 am
  #32  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,621
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Project Manager

Originally Posted by Jacqui
I'd be interested to know what a PM could typically earn in the UK (not London). Not wishing to boast, but my husband's salary is considerably more than we expected it to be, and currently 40% more than what he earnt in the UK, although that was four years ago. Hard to make comparisons now that we've been away awhile, can someone give me an idea of your average wage there now?
Hubby works in Perth and for his first job had to drop a few rungs down the ladder and start as a Senior Software Engineer, but that was at $78k three years ago, which was fine as we had no mortgage. He found the job too easy of course, but the important thing was to get a foot in the door, so don't stress too much if you can't find the ideal job straightaway. He works in C++ and .Net amongst others. It wasn't long before his skills were recognised by those "higher up" and he was promoted to Chief Engineer, until he was head-hunted and changed jobs. He had a massive pay rise and has been getting on ok in his new job, but with the passing of time, word has gotten around and last month he was head-hunted by no less than three firms! One job he turned down because it was based in Sydney. He went for interviews at the other two and today has gone in to meet with his new employer to formally accept their job offer. Have yet to hear what salary he has been offered, but I'm sure it's going to make a nice difference to our lifestyle!
My main point is, don't fret too much when you first arrive. It takes a while to build up your contacts again. The jobs are out there, even in Perth, you just need to let people know you are around, especially if you specialise in a particular field. Get networking! Join the ACS and attend their monthly meetings, see what local contacts you can make there. Don't sit back and wait for the recruitment agents to contact you; keep pestering them. It makes for hard work, but jiggle your CV around to suit each post you are applying for - whichever skills they are after, make sure these are the ones that jump out at them from the page. Really emphasise the jobs that you've done that are similar to what you're applying for, even if you only did it for a short while or you think the skill seems trivial - hubby got his first job because, out of over 120 people that applied, he was the only one that had worked on radio systems, a field that he had only ventured into once, for a short time.
Good on ya jacqui, a blast from the past.

B
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 9:42 am
  #33  
Forum Regular
 
Gnarrabup's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 148
Gnarrabup is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IT Project Manager

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe View Post
Hi...

I have been working as an IT Project Manager in Perth for 18 months now and am happy to help if anyone wants advice on jobs or contacts in the industry here. I worked in London when we were in the UK so have experienced a significant drop in salary coming here, although it is slowly creeping up with the candidate shortages we have here at the moment.

PM me if you want any info on agencies or consultancies that would be worth getting in touch with.

Cheers

Paul
Ill just hook onto this thread since Im also in the IT business - Microsoft specialist with 15-20 exp. We're looking to go to Perth.
Gnarrabup is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:49 am
  #34  
BE Enthusiast
 
Jacqui's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Mandurah, WA
Posts: 886
Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Project Manager

Hubby is still recruiting in Perth if anyone's interested. Two expats from this board are working for him so far and seem to be getting on ok. He is looking to recruit 30 or so developers and has been put in charge of the recruitment drive (as well as being a Project Manager). He is especially looking for people who are skilled in c# and c++. His company don't offer sponsorship, but if you have been issued your visa and are due to arrive in Perth in the near future or are already here and looking, please send me an email/PM with your CV attached and I'll forward it on. Telephone interviews can be arranged if you're still in the UK.
Jacqui is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:21 am
  #35  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 26
mervbeng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Project Manager

457 Visas available and positions for holders of PR visas

I work for SMS Management & Technology (SMS) which is Australia’s largest listed local IT Management and Consulting Company employing over 1000 Business and IT professionals in Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane and Sydney. Visit www.smsmt.com.au for all the details.

I migrated to Melbourne over 18 months ago from Scotland and I work for them as an IT Programme Manager for the largest Telco

SMS are on a large recruitment drive for PMs both technical and business project managers but it is difficult to get good people at the moment. See http://mycareer.com.au/sms-consultin...-pty-ltd/jobs/ for four of pages of jobs they are recruiting for just now. They have positions for holders of PR but they will also sponsor people through 457. If you work for them you shouldn't have a problem working anywhere afterwards as they have a very good reputation

If you visit http://mycareer.com.au/sms-consultin...-pty-ltd/jobs/ and see any positions you feel you would have the experience for contact me to explain what position you are applying for and why you think you would be suitable and fit the culture of SMS

I will review email and the request your resume and visa details and planned arrival date if you are not already here. On receipt if I think you would be suitable to recommend for an initial interview I will arrange a time for us to have a chat quick 30 min chat. I can then decide if SMS will want to meet you and pass your resume onto them

If you are still in the UK, they are currently planning a week of interviews in London in August and are about to put adverts in the Metro over there. If you get in quick we can hopefully get you a slot in those sessions before the advert hits. If you are due in Melbourne in the next couple of months we can hopefully get into an interview as you step of the plane! If you are in Melbourne already we can catch up towards the end of next week.

The currently are paying up to $130k per annum, + share options (they have doubled in six months), free carparking in the city at your place of work - this can save me up to $30 per day in the CBD and up to 25% annual bonus.

I put a simlar post up last week in the jobs sections and already forwarded 10 senior PM/ consultants to the recuitment division. They will hopefully all be interviewed either in London in August or when they arrive in the next couple of months in Australia.

So please get in touch.
mervbeng is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:14 pm
  #36  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 1,376
hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Project Manager

Originally Posted by mervbeng View Post
457 Visas available and positions for holders of PR visas

I work for SMS Management & Technology (SMS) which is Australia’s largest listed local IT Management and Consulting Company employing over 1000 Business and IT professionals in Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane and Sydney. Visit www.smsmt.com.au for all the details.

I migrated to Melbourne over 18 months ago from Scotland and I work for them as an IT Programme Manager for the largest Telco

SMS are on a large recruitment drive for PMs both technical and business project managers but it is difficult to get good people at the moment. See http://mycareer.com.au/sms-consultin...-pty-ltd/jobs/ for four of pages of jobs they are recruiting for just now. They have positions for holders of PR but they will also sponsor people through 457. If you work for them you shouldn't have a problem working anywhere afterwards as they have a very good reputation

If you visit http://mycareer.com.au/sms-consultin...-pty-ltd/jobs/ and see any positions you feel you would have the experience for contact me to explain what position you are applying for and why you think you would be suitable and fit the culture of SMS

I will review email and the request your resume and visa details and planned arrival date if you are not already here. On receipt if I think you would be suitable to recommend for an initial interview I will arrange a time for us to have a chat quick 30 min chat. I can then decide if SMS will want to meet you and pass your resume onto them

If you are still in the UK, they are currently planning a week of interviews in London in August and are about to put adverts in the Metro over there. If you get in quick we can hopefully get you a slot in those sessions before the advert hits. If you are due in Melbourne in the next couple of months we can hopefully get into an interview as you step of the plane! If you are in Melbourne already we can catch up towards the end of next week.

The currently are paying up to $130k per annum, + share options (they have doubled in six months), free carparking in the city at your place of work - this can save me up to $30 per day in the CBD and up to 25% annual bonus.

I put a simlar post up last week in the jobs sections and already forwarded 10 senior PM/ consultants to the recuitment division. They will hopefully all be interviewed either in London in August or when they arrive in the next couple of months in Australia.

So please get in touch.
I'd love to know where they are going to find the people to actually build/develop/implement these projects, never mind the project managers. At my last contract, the place was swarming with project managers etc. but actual experienced 'hands on keyboards' [for development projects anyway] were as rare as rocking horse poo.

Seriously, is the general consensus that the IT business in Oz is powering ahead at the moment ? Certainly in Perth, there is no shortage of jobs at the moment [although it always seems to be the same companies !]
hoofie2002 is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:29 pm
  #37  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 26
mervbeng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Project Manager

I think it is, if you get yourself a bit of a reputation and build up a decent network, this takes a bit of time obviously you shouldn't have and problem picking up good work for the next 3-5 years anyway. There is a lot of capital to be spent but there will be a turn the cycle as there always has been.

As for developers or as my BA calls them " the people who do the actual work" which is true, everything seems to be offshored for the big companies anyway - India, Israel etc. In my project 70% is offshored but they bring staff from India to Melbourne for the onshore component
mervbeng is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 4:32 pm
  #38  
Forum Regular
 
charmed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: from Larne to Perth
Posts: 203
charmed will become famous soon enoughcharmed will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IT Project Manager

We are going to Perth in November (136 visa) and my husband is a IT (Prince 2) Project Manager. He worked for the same company for 16 years and has worked his way up from the bottom.

We dont know if he should start applying for jobs now or wait until we arrive. My husband has worked all his life with no breaks so I know he would want to work as soon as we where settled. We have had a look at seek and there are plenty of jobs but we just wanted some advice.

Thank you in advance.

Joy
charmed is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 4:45 pm
  #39  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Sandringham, Vic
Posts: 350
Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all
Default Re: IT Project Manager

Originally Posted by charmed View Post
We are going to Perth in November (136 visa) and my husband is a IT (Prince 2) Project Manager. He worked for the same company for 16 years and has worked his way up from the bottom.

We dont know if he should start applying for jobs now or wait until we arrive. My husband has worked all his life with no breaks so I know he would want to work as soon as we where settled. We have had a look at seek and there are plenty of jobs but we just wanted some advice.

Thank you in advance.

Joy
Hi...

I would say it would be worth contacting some agencies and/or consultancies now, particularly as things can get a bit quieter recruitment wise once you get into December and January.

Cheers

Paul
Paul and Chloe is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2007, 5:46 pm
  #40  
Forum Regular
 
charmed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: from Larne to Perth
Posts: 203
charmed will become famous soon enoughcharmed will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: IT Project Manager

Thank you very much for your help.

All advice is great.
charmed is offline  
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:47 am
  #41  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Posts: 17
Tasmania IT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IT Project Manager

To bump this thread back up a bit and add the Tasmanian option, my company is looking for IT PM's and senior .Net and Java developers for work based in Hobart.

You can still buy a house here within 10 minutes (really) drive of the CBD for $300-350k and the Tasmanian lifestyle has a lot going for it, especially if you have a young family or enjoy outdoor pursuits. There are all the advantages of living in a capital city without the unavoidable difficulties of living in a big one.

Pay is lower than most of mainland Australia but the lifestyle more than makes up for it. The IT sector here is growing and there are several Tasmanian companies with market-leading products.

I migrated from the UK in 2001 and after 4 years in Melbourne and 2 in Hobart I think I'll be staying here in Hobart.

Feel free to PM or email me if I can help with any questions about Tasmania or if you are interested in the PM or developer positions.
Tasmania IT is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:24 pm
  #42  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
reshlobo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Project Manager

I know this thread has been quiet for a while, so I sure do hope there's someone who looks into this!

I am a IT Project manager with about 3 yrs (yes, i know thats baby compared to all of you!! ... ) and CAPM certification in process. I am planning to arrive in Perth around April- May 2008 and hoping to line up some interviews for when I land up there. The hitch - I need a sponsor for my work visa. Trying to get a PR, but cant wait till then to make the move!!

Anyone out there who will be able to help me out in any way at all?!?!


Reshma
reshlobo is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:03 pm
  #43  
MJX
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 11
MJX will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IT Project Manager

Here's another bump for this thread...

I'm a Prince2 practitioner certified project manager with 7-8 years PM experience in various IT project areas - software dev, infrastructure, business process etc, working in semiconductor / software house / healthcare (NHS) / contact centre / retail sectors. Is the PM world in Oz still viable for expats?

We're thinking mainly Melbourne / Canberra / Sydney - would prefer to have a slightly less manic way of life if possible...any comments would be welcome!

Ta
MJX is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:01 pm
  #44  
Victorian Evangelist
 
Buzzy--Bee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, by the beach, living the dream.
Posts: 7,704
Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Project Manager

Originally Posted by MJX View Post
Here's another bump for this thread...

I'm a Prince2 practitioner certified project manager with 7-8 years PM experience in various IT project areas - software dev, infrastructure, business process etc, working in semiconductor / software house / healthcare (NHS) / contact centre / retail sectors. Is the PM world in Oz still viable for expats?

We're thinking mainly Melbourne / Canberra / Sydney - would prefer to have a slightly less manic way of life if possible...any comments would be welcome!

Ta
Out of Sydney and Melbourne you would find Melbourne the best for the combination of employment prospects and less manic way of life I reckon.

For many jobs in Canberra you may need Ozzie Citizenship so that may rule it out.
Buzzy--Bee is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:35 pm
  #45  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
reshlobo is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: IT Project Manager

I've two questions for anyone willing to answer:

1. Opportunities wise, which of the big-ish cities have better IT opportunities... is it perth, melbourne, sydney, adelaide, canberra... etc etc...

2. How's the "Employer Sponsored Visa" scene in these places ( for IT)? In which of these places do you think employers are more willing to give a subclass 457?

sorry....i know these are tough metrics to answer, especially the second question.. but would be reaalllll helpful if anyone could shed some light.....just post your views in this thread... that should give us proj mgrs some idea!!!

Thanks!!
resh
reshlobo is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.