Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Information Technology
Reload this Page >

Any tips for better website design?

Any tips for better website design?

Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:38 am
Just Joined

David Brody is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any tips for better website design?

Hello,

I'm looking to create a website concentrated on reviewing BMX parts and such. I'm very good with computers, but I don't have any experience with running a website. Any suggestions highly appreciated!! Hope you will cooperate.

Thanks a lot
David Brody
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:25 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any tips for better website design?

Hi. I think if you're new to creating websites, it may be better to use a cms package like Wordpress. There are lots of themes you can apply to your website, and you can start making entries almost straight away. You will probably need to find a decent host, and gem up on the basics of php/sql. Later, as you learn more how Wordpress works you'll be able to modify the theme yourself, and perhaps add add-ins (code) to enhance the functionality of the site.
There are lots of learning to write websites/Wordpress tutorials and help sites out there. This is also a good resource as people there use their site for business purposes:

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/fo...splay.php?f=56
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Hi. I think if you're new to creating websites, it may be better to use a cms package like Wordpress. There are lots of themes you can apply to your website, and you can start making entries almost straight away. You will probably need to find a decent host, and gem up on the basics of php/sql. Later, as you learn more how Wordpress works you'll be able to modify the theme yourself, and perhaps add add-ins (code) to enhance the functionality of the site.
There are lots of learning to write websites/Wordpress tutorials and help sites out there. This is also a good resource as people there use their site for business purposes:

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/fo...splay.php?f=56

I'm an IT professional and I have to agree with this advice. It sounds a great place to start. You could also use a package such as DreamWeaver to create a basic website for yourself.

How are you planning to host the site?
Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

libra90210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Consider doing videos and posting them on YouTube. You can generate money that way too, and it is easier than doing a website.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

libra90210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by David Brody
Hello,
I'm looking to create a website concentrated on reviewing BMX parts
I was thinking about this. Do you know about the mtbr.com website. They have a huge review section too. So, wouldn't you be creating something that already exists?