Visiting Bali

Old Jul 5th 2015, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Bali

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Do you recommend renting a car and, if so, can you recommend a good hire company?
Hi IVV, fancy bumping into you here!
We had two quite pleasant holidays in Bali whilst living & working in Asia. On first trip I'd planned on renting a car, but after discussing fees with several local drivers, most of whom were proposing very reasonable tariffs, I chose one who offered a very acceptable rate for 24hrs, plus his car was in pretty good nick - which is important. In fact used the same guy for at least 5 different days during our stay. No problems whatsoever, or hastle with finding parking slots etc. He knew the most interesting places to visit, dropped us off whenever we wanted a restaurant stop etc, and always available outside on our return.
It was so convenient, we did the same on our second trip.

A trip to Panang a year later with our teenage student son - visiting from Montreal, wasn't so successful. He went down with appendicitis in Penang the day before we were due to leave. Flight back to our 'home' destination in Hong-Kong where he needed and received emergency treatment. Hospital wanted a 'holding' cheque of equivalent £2k prior to entry. Fortunately his holiday insurance covered that. A memorable holiday indeed.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 12:59 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks TP , I hadn't though of that - sounds like a really good idea.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I was wishing to ask the same think IVV.

Self drive or can one hire a car with a driver. I suppose I mean a taxi affair for the day.
We did that once in Sri Lanka . Hired a chap and car for two weeks. It was simply ace. He knew who , what and where & it stopped MrBEVS and I having two weeks of tiffs over who got who lost.

Thanks to this thread really, we're thinking the beginning of September and I am now trying to investigate flights from New Zealand to see if it is doable or not.

I think we are thinking 8/10 days. Leaning far more to a stay in central Bali now (Ubud?) , with a few days in Senur as suggested.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 4:19 am
`

Ha! It's looking like a goer again now that the volcano has stop spouting off.

Reading through this thread I'm back to thinking Ubud and a few days Senur + see if we can hire a car/driver for a couple of outings here and there.

Big thanks to Davita for the posts on this thread . Quality refresher on Bali as a destination for us.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

The wet season is nearly over...and it has been exceptionally wet this year so hopefully we'll see more sun soon.
I have to say Ubud is generally very full of traffic...Indonesia now has direct flights Bali to China vv and many Chinese now want to visit Ubud.
If I were you I wouldn't commit to staying anyplace too long...you might want to change.
Uber is available in Bali so you might want to be a member. They offer daily rentals with drivers.
You will want to visit the rice fields and temple-lake in Bedugul and Mount Kintamani and then, maybe a trip to Lovina and stay overnight, might be of interest...just pay the driver a little extra for cheap accommodation...he may even sleep in the car and pocket the money.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
I think if you look-up any gov't health warnings for travel they have a plethora of jabs needed...it is generally left to the individual, unless a current infection is prevalent.
Bali is no different to most S.E. Asian countries in that respect, except it is a declared rabies area and I read that the hospitals don't have any vaccines available.
I would have good travel medical insurance rather than jabs....and don't pet dogs or monkeys...or even an occasional Ozzie.

The only prick i've suffered since I left the RAF in 1974 was my boss in an airline I joined.

Having said that it is Ramadan and many Muslims go to mini-haj in Saudi. I'd be worried some would return carrying MERS and I doubt if Indonesia (Java, Sumatra) is prepared....but that is something to keep an eye on before travel. Bali os 90%+ Hindu and not many Muslims would return directly to Bali as the Haji flights generally leave/return Jakarta or Medan.
It has been a while but I was attacked by a dog in Bali in an area hat there was a concern about rabies in the past. There was a shortage of rabies serum at the time, so had to bribe someone at the military hospital to get- was cheaper than flying to Singapore at the time.

Singapore is close for any medical needs. Plus for a tourist avoiding Jakarta is a plus ( though I enjoyed living there, visiting I don't know what for).
Old Feb 20th 2017, 9:03 pm
`

The wet season is nearly over...and it has been exceptionally wet this year so hopefully we'll see more sun soon.
I have to say Ubud is generally very full of traffic...Indonesia now has direct flights Bali to China vv and many Chinese now want to visit Ubud.
If I were you I wouldn't commit to staying anyplace too long...you might want to change.
Uber is available in Bali so you might want to be a member. They offer daily rentals with drivers.
You will want to visit the rice fields and temple-lake in Bedugul and Mount Kintamani and then, maybe a trip to Lovina and stay overnight, might be of interest...just pay the driver a little extra for cheap accommodation...he may even sleep in the car and pocket the money.
Oddly I read about the huge influx of Chinese tourists yesterday. We get that here by the many , many busloads & it did make me pause .

Yes. We are thinking of the paddy fields and a couple of temples & some quality relaxing.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oddly I read about the huge influx of Chinese tourists yesterday. We get that here by the many , many busloads & it did make me pause .

Yes. We are thinking of the paddy fields and a couple of temples & some quality relaxing.
I wouldn't want to stay in Ubud unless you have some special reason...it is normally very crowded during daylight, with tourists going to the market, and not much to do at night. However, I'd highly recommend a visit to the unique 'Hanging Gardens' restaurant in Ubud...it has recently been voted as spectacular.
Sanur is a laid-back one street and beach walk town, not too far from anywhere, with little of the bar-frenzy of Kuta/Legian/Seminyak beach area.
For relaxing in Sanur in your beach fronting hotel.... nothing better than sipping on a drink, listening to the waves, people-watching doing watersports or walking or cycling the beach walk.
There are numerous restaurants and boutique shopping on the main Sanur street called Jl Danau Tamblingan. The Galleria shopping mall is just down the by-pass road from Sanur and there is a 9 hole golf-course nearby.
You can easily visit Ubud from Sanur and also all the other tour things like parks, temples and padi-fields. I did suggest earlier that a planned circle trip around to Singeraja/Lovina might be more comfortable with a night-stop in a nice cheap hotel.....then return, taking in all the other venues.
It isn't that far from Kuta if a visit to see the action is desired...just make sure you use a blue-bird taxi on the meter or call Uber. There is a tourist bus that does a circle-tour called Kura Kura bus. I've not tried but, if I were a tourist I'd certainly use it....search for the name and get the details. They are small A/Cd buses and tour all the tour spots around town on a schedule hop-on hop-off.
Denpaser is the main city/town. Not much on the tourist agenda except in the centre is a huge monument and park that is a must see. There is a one-way road that goes around that and all of central Denpaser with large houses and govt offics/banks/shopping mall.

Any questions to help with your intended trip...please ask.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:24 pm
`

I did suggest earlier that a planned circle trip around to Singeraja/Lovina might be more comfortable with a night-stop in a nice cheap hotel.....then return, taking in all the other venues.
You are turning my mind more to this idea. We did just this for Sri Lanka years ago and it worked very well for us . I actually ran this thought past MrBEVS last evening just to let the idea settle in .

Any questions to help with your intended trip...please ask.
Thanks Davita. Very much appreciated. As you know we've been thinking to see something of Bali for a while now . It is so much better to hear it from someone that knows the place . When you read a travel mag or guide it never mentions how it really is .

From what you write I wouldn't cope with Ubud very well.