Oddities in Indonesia

Old Jan 21st 2020, 10:37 am
Asian nomad

scrubbedexpat019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oddities in Indonesia

By 'Oddiies' I mean mostly amusing moments. Some may border on scamming, but usually they are so obvious, that nobody but a yokel from the kampung would fall for them...

I was in Surabaya for two days last week, to do this and that. Always pleasant to be out of Bali for a brief time and in Java, with completely different cultures and mindsets and attitudes to life, love, commerce and everything else.

Breadtalk in Grand City Mall had one of its usual 'specials' - half-loaves) packs of bread (baked on the premises and surpringly good in view of what usually passes for 'bread' here) were on special at Rp7,000 for one or two for Rp20,000. Yes, I know.

Of course being me, I thought of buying one and returning later for another, at a saving of Rp6,000, so clever!! So I took one and went to the cashier, where I was told sorry, I couldn't buy only one, I had to buy two!!

Yes, the little doll (a young charmer) did say "sorry", which in itself is unusual for Javanese, who usually will try their luck at anything and are never, ever sorry...

Anyway, I bought one large loaf of 'gandum' (wholemeal, and really good) for Rp20,000, paid for same, and later when I was back at my serviced apartment, opened the bag - and found the little darling had given me gratis, a small donut.

Truly a Surabaya moment. Would it have happened in Bali? Not likely!!

Share your similar odd moments. I'm sure we've all had them.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat019; Jan 21st 2020 at 10:40 am.