Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Bali post Covid

Moving to Bali post Covid

Old Dec 27th 2023, 12:05 am
Just Joined

DownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Bali post Covid

This thread has been silent for so long. Are there no expats now living in Bali?

I am recently retired in Australia. We are considering a bolt-hole somewhere in Bali.

We have been to Bali a few times, but not recently. Friends were there a few months ago for a break, and told us it is more quiet now, but also more expensive for everything than it was pre Covid.

The plan so far is we would live in Bali for two or three months, travel elsewhere in Asia for a few weeks, go back to Bali for a month or two, and then home to Australia to soak up the good Aussie life. None of this is set in cement so far, as we like to be flexible.

We are not rich, but comfortably off. Ideally living in longer term serviced rented accommodation would suit us better than camping out in hotels.

Visas look to be a problem. Malaysia makes it easy for tourists to stay there for 90 days, then leave for a short break, and return for another 90 days Ad infinitum, for up to one year. Then a longer time break out of the country.

Indonesia now has 30 day tourist visas, paid for on arrival at the airport, so I'm told. Can these be renewed? Are they expensive?

I could (and I will) Google this, but I will be interested in others' thoughts on the visa and other issues. Like cost of living. How expensive is it to set up a household in Bali now? Are villas for rent available? Would one be stuck in the tourist ghettos or it is possible to live in more quiet places?
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bali post Covid

You can get the visa on-line - this is the official link: https://molina.imigrasi.go.id. The visa is valid for 30 days but can be extended online for another 30. The alternative is to come in on a B211. It's valid for longer but is more complicated and expensive. I think there was talk that the Malaysian visa will go down to 60 days rather than 90. Not sure if that's already been implemented.
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

DownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bali post Covid

Thank you, Fenella. I am greatly encouraged by someone finally posting a response to my post.

Are you by any chance in Bali now? It will be good to know if you are, at least one long-term BE expat still is. Not many left. Most seem to have decamped to Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines. Or or two I know even went to Taiwan. Obviously they like to live - dangerously. I've suggested they learn to speak basic Mandarin, just in case.

I will look again into the B211. I recall I did this before, but cannot find my notes. Somewhere in one of my four laptops. Overkill, yes.

In Indonesia nowadays all visas are expensive and not as easy to get AS PRE-2020. Even renewing the 30 day tourist visa in Bali is a costly proposition. Paying an immigration agent to do it (still cheaper than in Java, maybe they offer a bulk discoun, ha), then two visits to the immigration office, a minimum of four taxi or hire car rides. Everything costs the earth (or the beach sand) in Bali now.

I did all this prep homework pre-Covid but then we went into lockdown for two years (28 months my specific case before I could get my elderly act together and resume my travels to SE Asia in late 2022) and it all seems to have expunged itself from my brain cells. And no, I didn't get Covid. Overlooking the possibility of senile decay, a little too much good Limestone Coast and Coonawrra red during the Covid period at home may have done the evil deed...

By some odd and unusual coincidence I am now in KL for eight days. The Malaysia visa on arrival is still 90 days. I've not read anywhere about it being "reduced" to 60 days. \

For the time being for us, Bali is off the radar. As much as I would enjoy living in Sanur, our situation has now changed.

My partner is from Ipoh and still holds Malaysian citizenship. I am retired but SO is not. An offer of early retirement is expected some time between now and end of the financial year in Australia (June 30), which would make a long-term plan to live in Malaysia all the more attractive to us.

So you see, I am torn between spending more time in Indonesia, which I enjoy, and Malaysia which is so much more easy to get into and live in. Not quite as exciting day to day as Indonesia, but, well, at my age... heart and all that.

Many thanks again for posting, and with my very best regards.

Last edited by DownUnder69; Feb 3rd 2024 at 2:10 pm.