Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Indonesia's new Digital Nomad Visa

Indonesia's new Digital Nomad Visa

Old Jun 9th 2022, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Indonesia's new Digital Nomad Visa

Indonesia Govt is planning to offer a 5 years, multi-entry digital nomad visa, this was announced by the Minister of Tourism in an interview to Bloomberg News on June 6.

here is the link: https://bali.com/news/indonesia-work...igital-nomads/

Couple of additional links:

- https://thethaiger.com/news/national...ear-visa-offer
- https://www.traveloffpath.com/new-5-...ut-paying-tax/

its a bit thin on details, but the rumor is it will require 2 Billion IDR deposit for single (current exchange rate 1B IDR = 68,552 USD so 2 B will be 137k +) /2.5 Billion IDR deposit for a family, will be tax free residence (on income generated outside Indonesia).

Will know the details in next few days, if the keep the requirements within reasonable bounds and benefits attractive, it may be a viable alternative to MM2H for many of us.

On a personal note.. i wanted to apply for an Indonesian retirement visa, back in the day .. but could not due to the minimum age = 55 yrs requirement. so I applied for MM2H instead.

Anyone here has any more details on the news ?

But as always .. the devil is in detail.. lets keep our fingers crossed ...
Old Mar 8th 2023, 4:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143
Default Re: Indonesia's new Digital Nomad Visa

Another cash-grab. Whether it succeeds or not, remains to be seen.

Nomads whether digital or analog by their 'nomadic' nature hang out here, there and everywhere. They will stay for a while in Bali, on tourist visas, fly in and out as needed, and eventually move on to other more congenial cultures, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, the Philippines.

Many DNs I've met (admittedly not a great number, but enough to draw some conclusions about them) are young and middle-middle class who want to amuse themselves at 'nomading' for a while, mostly to enjoy a freewheeling lifestyle with good social opportunities. They then return home to resume their old lives. Unlike many of us 'oldies' who look to staying more long-term in Asia.

As well, most DNs won't have the sort of $$ required to buy their way into Indonesia, and those who do (here I say this as one who doesn't) would be reluctant to hand US$150,000+ to a government agency rife with bureaucratic mine fields and, it has to be said, a poor reputation for corruption among some of its staff, not all but enough so one can expect to be asked for a 'gift' at a crucial point in a visa application - this happened to me in the past, and it's why I now use an immigration agent to renew my 30 day tourist visas, expensive but it removes me from all that aggravation and angst, so worth it.

Things may yet change again in Indonesia, where "ping-pong" decisions (I'm quoting the Jakarta Post here) are often made and government agencies do fast about-turns and run in opposite directions at the drop of a politician's will. Whether the next big decision to do with visas improves the situation for long-term stayers or makes it worst, well, here we have to wait and see.

There are many, many good things for foreigners to enjoy in Indonesia, but dealing with government bureaucracies is not on the list.

Sadly, the best time to stay long-term in Indonesia was at the tail end of the Soeharto regime, when you could fly into Bali or Jakarta and be granted a free 60 days tourist visa. After two months a quick flight to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, then back to Indonesia, and ap!! a new 60 days visa on the spot. This ended in the mid-'00s when Indonesia (and many other Asian countries) changed to a pay-your-way-in visa, usually US$50 for 30 days, all xcepting Malaysia, which kept the free 90 days visa. Clever, those Malaysians.

This current visa situation is not entirely due to Covid, which ended many things, but not the cash-grab visa system, that was in place long before.
Old Mar 14th 2023, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

The long term visa situation is different if you’re married to an Indonesian citizen I assume?
Old Mar 14th 2023, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143

Originally Posted by edmontron
The long term visa situation is different if you’re married to an Indonesian citizen I assume?
Quite likely so. It isn't the case for me, so I've not really looked into it. Others may know more about this and want to comment.
Old Mar 28th 2023, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute

We're here on a B211 visa: Valid for 2 months and can be extended 2 more times. The first extension has to be done at the immigration office where they take your finger prints, etc. We recently found out that we can renew the B211 whilst still on Bali and no visit to immigration is necessary. That would give us a total of one year here. Maybe by then other visa options will become available. It should be noted that the B211 route ain't cheap!