Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Trailing Husband - how to work on spousal visa?

Trailing Husband - how to work on spousal visa?

Old Nov 3rd 2015, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

welshboy166 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trailing Husband - how to work on spousal visa?

My wife and I will be moving to India in the new year. We'll be based in either Mumbai or Pune.

My wife will have her work visa and I will have a spousal visa. With my spousal visa what is the chance of me being able to get work? I am highly qualified in finance and IT.

Will I need to apply for work and get a separate work visa before entering India?

Can I set up a UK limited company and work remotely from India on non-Indian jobs with only the company being paid? If I took an income from that company how would it affect my tax in India?

While the package we'll have should mean that I don't in fact need to work I will want to occupy my days doing something other than golfing. Would I be allowed to do volunteer work?

Apologies for the length in post. Thanks for your help in advance. I'm trying to ensure all of my visa and tax issues are fixed up front.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 6:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trailing Husband - how to work on spousal visa?

Hello and welcome to the forum

I cannot help you as I'm not in India but hopefully someone on here can advise you

Hope it all works out.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the protectionist laws and regulations are there to PREVENT you from working or doing ANYTHING that could be construed as work.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

I'm assuming that you mean your wife will be on an Employment visa and you will apply for an X visa?
You can not work on an X visa.
All income accruing in India is taxable in India. If you stay long enough you will become 'resident and actually resident' for tax purposes, at which point your worldwide income (with a few exceptions) becomes taxable in India. There is a dual taxation avoidance treaty with the UK.

AndyD 8-)
Old Nov 8th 2015, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be wary too of any "voluntary work" which could be seen as taking a job from a citizen.