Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to India

Thinking of moving to India

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:38 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to India

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
LOL are you joking? 25 Rupees???? Tell me where you can get a full meal for 25 rupees.

The average price for a dish at most food courts in the big cities is 100 to 150 rupees. It's not uncommon to see items priced at 250 rupees and above for girlled meat/chicken dishes.

This is the menu for Costa Coffee in India:

http://www.costacoffee.co.in/food.html

I guarantee they are charging a heck of a lot more than 25 rupees. Their coffees alone are in the 130 rupees+ range. And what's more, they are packed. You go to a busy Costa Coffee in Delhi, and you will have to write your name in a book and wait for a table to become available.

I think you need to visit some of the big cities before you start giving advice on India in general.

Adrian

Costa Coffee and mainstream franchises such as those are in the big centres of every city in the world virtually - and the cost of rents and overheads in those large cities are astronomical hence the need to charge the prices you have mentioned. Yes maybe they are busy in the centre of Delhi or Mumbai but they would not survive outside of the centres of big cities in India.
That is on top of the cost of the franchise rights in the first place - again astronomical.
Unless you have an enormous sum of money to invest then you would not be opening your first fish and chip shop or other business in the city centre of Delhi or Mumbai or another large city where you could charge such high prices by Indian standards.
Outside of the big city centres, 25 rupees or not much more is pretty much what you will be able to charge - even if you were able o charge the amounts you suggest - you will be ripped off by suppliers who will sell the basic ingredients to an local at one price, and charge you about 75 times that!
But you obviously know far more than those of us here who have lived in various parts of India, so if you think you can make it when 99% of other foreigners have not been able to - go ahead and spend all your money lining Indians' pockets - because that is all you will be doing in India as a foreigner !

And for the record I have spent plenty of time in and around India - and you have been there when exactly?

To be honest I have been quite kind in trying to help you avoid making a big error in your life - but your last comment shows what a rude and objectionable little individual you are - and I really don;t know why you bother to come on a site like BE where people are trying to help you and then throw back their advice in their faces - well rest assured you are no on my "ignore this twxt radar" now!

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; Aug 3rd 2012 at 8:51 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Outside of the big city centres, 25 rupees or not much more is pretty much what you will be able to charge -
Dread - x
Really? When was the last time you ate out at a restaurant in India. You are a Candolim expert, right?

Name ONE restaurant in Candolim where you can get a meal for Rs. 25 Heck name a restaurant in Panjim where you can get a meal for Rs. 25.

Restaurants are charging ten times that and there are plenty of Indians happy to pay. Both in and outside the large metros.

I don't know if you are trying to help, but your information is so outlandishly wrong that I almost think you are trolling. If you really don't know about a subject, it's better if you don't say anything.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:15 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

AdrianTO

Firstly let's go to the original post on this thread from the other Adrian ;-
His initial post was asking people what they thought about the Feasibility and PROFITABILITY of opening a takeaway Fish and chip shop in GHUJARAT. Your post above talks of a sit down restaurant in an Urban or City location such as DELHI. These two enterprises are worlds apart albeit they are both in the food industry.

Secondly if you had actually bothered to both read this thread properly and check before writing such a rude, obnoxious and personally insulting post as that above, you might have had the capacity to realise that the post you have chosen to use as a quote in your above post was written by me - in direct response to the original post by Adrian Charles - and relates to the sort of price you could expect to charge for a bag of chips IN GHUJARAT - not the prices one can expect to pay in a multi billion pound franchise outlet like Costa Coffee/Macdonalds in Delhi, or a formal restaurant in a mainstream Indian 'Urbansville'.
In fact other than a comparison as to which outlet's chips taste the nicest, the two cannot be justifiably compared, especially when it comes to the price charged for a bag of chips, to which my 25 rupee comment refers !!!
Had the original poster mentioned opening a sit down restaurant in Delhi, or tourist driven Goa, which he did NOT, do you not think my response to him would have reflected that? !!

Thirdly, about 4 - 5 years ago, I looked very seriously into starting a business in India with a Goan businessman, and in addition to much other research, we veiwed premises in a number of locations, including Mumbai, Goa, Kerala and Mysore. The difference in rental costs between premises in the city and those in smaller towns was phenominal, as was the difference in the cost charged for services. The overheads alone in city based businesses dictate higher price rates for products and services.
Hence a bag of chips is going to likely cost a hell of a lot less in GHUJARAT than it will cost you in DELHI !!
As for the comment you make about being able to charge "10 times that price" (quote) - somehow I don;t think the price of a bag of chips has reached 250 rupees - even in downtown Delhi !! And if it has I won't be buying them !

And in answer to your question, here are some places where I have purchased a portion of chips at 25 rupees or less last season:

1. Navtarra -
2. Scruffy little place along road from Mapusa Market - 15 rups there
3. Emmanuel -
4. Little place on route to Vasco next to a place where they sell the big vases at roadside - omelette and chips 12 rupees/2 pcs chicken and chips 23 rupees
5. Dolphin -
6. Chicknfish

.....the list could go on and on and you asked for just one - yet I have given you six ! - and these places are in the middle of the tourist zone, but generally frequented by locals.

SO - IF you are going to use my quotes, at least do so with some degree of accuracy, instead of manipulating my words in order to get some kick out of writing obnoxious posts to feed your vapid little ego !!
If you struggle with writing in a civil manner - may I suggest you visit the 'Take it outside' forum instead of behaving like a complete @rsehole towards me - you will fit in very well on the TIO forum with the type of post you have written here.......

FINALLY - MY RESPONSE TO YOUR MISGUIDED USE OF THE TERM "TROLL" IS TO POINT OUT THAT YOU ARE THE ONE WHO HAS COME ONTO THIS THREAD, AND EITHER NOT READ IT PROPERLY Or BEEN INTELLECTUALLY INCAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING THE ORIGINAL POST - AND PROMPTLY POSTED INSULTING AND OFFENSIVE MATERIAL AIMED AT ME AS AN INDIVIDUAL.
LOOKING AT THE LITERAL MEANING OF THE TERM "TROLL" IT IS CLEARLY FAR MORE FITTING TO YOU MY 'FIEND' THAN IT IS OR EVER WILL BE TO ME !!!!

To sum up Adrian - you are more than welcome to disagree with something I say at any time ..........
.............but your dishing out of personal attacks, insults and general offensiveness, such as you have posted on this thread, is most unwelcome - hence the contempt I have shown you in this response.

Dread - x
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

You would likely have to sell a portion of fish and chips at something like about 25 rupees to cater to locals -

Dread - x
Nice try. You didn't say a bag of chips. You clearly stated the price of a full restaurant meal at Rs. 25.

So again, I ask you. Where in Mapusa, on the street, in Panjim, in Calangute, where CAN YOU GET A FULL MEAL FOR Rs. 25? Not a bag of chips.

I await your reply.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 4:59 pm

Whatever Adrian - get a life !!!!
I know what I meant at the time of writing and the point I was aiming at getting across - an error of two words from a language pattern does not denigrate the fact that I gave decent, solid and good advice to a young chap who was being led to believe that business is easy in India, and the paths paved with easy made money, when in fact it is anything but, and I am glad as hell that he noted the advice given.

But that is the difference between you and I isn't it?
I come on here and genuinely try my best to help people - and in fact have done in many different ways - including free legal representation in court. You on the other hand trawl this site for no other reason than to try and get your vapid little rocks off by picking on ridiculously minor points in peoples' posts! How sad - I pity you and your smallness !!

And I stand by my point that a back street greasy chippy in a low rent part of Ghujarat will not bring the profits or prices that a restaurant in tourist ridden Goa or a Costa coffee in Delhi, and a low rent takeaway in a Ghujarat back street is exactly the business that the OP was looking at !

I am now really bored with this tedious diatribe over a little point and we shall have to agree to disagree on how much fish and chips in back street Ghujarat cost until one or other o us gopes there3 and buys some -
Now please go away and celebrate your little point score over a pint of cashew fenny with my best wishes !!!

Dread - x
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

And I stand by my point that a back street greasy chippy in a low rent part of Ghujarat will not bring the profits or prices that a restaurant in tourist ridden Goa or a Costa coffee in Delhi, and a low rent takeaway in a Ghujarat back street is exactly the business that the OP was looking at !
Dread - x
Do you not get that you are flat out wrong? There is nowhere in any restaurant or takeaway in India where you will get a fish and chips dinner for Rs. 25 or any full dinner for that matter. Whether it's some back alley in Gujarat or a high end mall in Delhi. And if you do, the conditions will be so filthy and unhygienic that no middle class Indian would be caught dead in there. But, maybe those are the type of places you frequent. The price might vary from Rs. 150 to Rs. 300 depending on the locale and the type of fish. Moreover, you will find plenty of Indians willing to pay and able to afford those prices. At Rs. 25, you are so far wrong, it's ludicrous. Yet, you persist in arguing. You will get a cup or two of tea for that much, not much else.

Yes, I have been to Gujarat, and no, restaurant meals like fish and chips don't cost Rs. 25 there either.

You think you are helping, but you are not. You are providing wildly inaccurate information to people that don't know better. I don't call that helping.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:15 pm

Do you not get that you are flat out wrong? There is nowhere in any restaurant or takeaway in India where you will get a fish and chips dinner for Rs. 25 or any full dinner for that matter. Whether it's some back alley in Gujarat or a high end mall in Delhi. And if you do, the conditions will be so filthy and unhygienic that no middle class Indian would be caught dead in there. But, maybe those are the type of places you frequent. The price might vary from Rs. 150 to Rs. 300 depending on the locale and the type of fish. Moreover, you will find plenty of Indians willing to pay and able to afford those prices. At Rs. 25, you are so far wrong, it's ludicrous. Yet, you persist in arguing. You will get a cup or two of tea for that much, not much else.

Yes, I have been to Gujarat, and no, restaurant meals like fish and chips don't cost Rs. 25 there either.

You think you are helping, but you are not. You are providing wildly inaccurate information to people that don't know better. I don't call that helping.

Adrain

DO YOU NOT GET that whether a cheap meal in Ghujarat costs 25 or 250 rupees is completely irrelevant in terms of whether or not the OP should go into this venture?
Do you also not get that the OP was asking about running a cheap little takeaway chip shop in Ghujarat - not a Restaurant or Costa coffee which you harp on about!

The point of this thread was whether or not a young Brit guy should invest money in a back street chippy in Ghujarat - which his friend would run for him, and he would collect the profits in the UK.- would you advise him to go ahead ?
(actually 'you' probably would !!)
This was an illustrative point among many points made for the OP to think about before contemplating this venture - and I am sure if he did start a chippy in a cheap part of Ghujarat he would go and do his own research to define his menu prices !!

You obviously have some sad and desperate need to harange me on public forum over two little words used to illustrate a specific point (like I have noticed you do with others !!) - but if that is what makes you feel more of a man and doing so helps you big up your fragile ego, then you fill our boots and go for it - as I have said yesterday, I know what I meant, and I believe the OP, with whom I have had further discourse by pm, also understood my point in exactly the way it was intended - and as my post was an answer to his, that is what matters!

Now you have scored your cheap little point - are you feeling more big and manly now? .....so go drink a few more pints of cashew fenny to celebrate ...

In the meantime, I have far more constructive and interesting things to do with my time than responding to a point scoring cyber bully who isn't even that good at that - I am so bored with your harping now Adrain that I am making this my last reply to the whole subject ...... we disagree on something - get over it !!

Enjoy your fenny - apparently it does great things to people when drunk by the pint !!!!

Love and mushy peace

Dread - x

PS - take a little trip down to Vasco and stop at a little local cafe place near the village with the big church - I had 2 bits of chicken and side salad there for 16 rups - and it was delicious !!

However here is a question for you - what constructive advice/points are you making that would help the original poster ?
Quite frankly - I stand by every point I gave to Adrian Charles about why giving money to an Indian friend to run a cheap back street chip shop in Ghujarat is not a good idea.
OH YES I DO FREQUENT LOCAL PLACES - I find less unpleasant people there!
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

DO YOU NOT GET that whether a cheap meal in Ghujarat costs 25 or 250 rupees is completely irrelevant in terms of whether or not the OP should go into this venture?
Do you also not get that the OP was asking about running a cheap little takeaway chip shop
However here is a question for you - what constructive advice/points are you making that would help the original poster ?
Quite frankly - I stand by every point I gave to Adrian Charles about why giving money to an Indian friend to run a cheap back street chip shop in Ghujarat is not a good idea.
Even if he is going to be running a cheap takeaway shop, it's still not going to be Rs. 25 for a portion of fish and chips. Do you not get that?

You are providing a completely wrong and skewed vision of business and prices in India. That is why I am insisting on correcting to you. My comments may not be directly helpful to the OP, but they are helpful to other people who may be thinking of starting a business or just coming to India for a visit. They will be shocked when they first go to a restaurant or anywhere for that matter if they expect to pay Rs. 25 for a meal. I am setting the record straight.

Any place that has decent hygiene and is frequented by middle class Indians would charge at least Rs. 200 for full menu items like that. Not Rs. 25. I don't know where you eat, but I sure as hell don't want to eat there, specially for chicken/meat and seafood dishes.

Expect to pay:

Vegetables/Lentils - Rs. 50 to Rs. 100
Chicken/Meat - Rs. 100 to Rs. 200
Seafood - Rs 200 and up
Food Court Meals - Rs. 100 to Rs. 200
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:49 pm

Even if he is going to be running a cheap takeaway shop, it's still not going to be Rs. 25 for a portion of fish and chips. Do you not get that?

You are providing a completely wrong and skewed vision of business and prices in India. That is why I am insisting on correcting to you. My comments may not be directly helpful to the OP, but they are helpful to other people who may be thinking of starting a business or just coming to India for a visit. They will be shocked when they first go to a restaurant or anywhere for that matter if they expect to pay Rs. 25 for a meal. I am setting the record straight.

Any place that has decent hygiene and is frequented by middle class Indians would charge at least Rs. 200 for full menu items like that. Not Rs. 25. I don't know where you eat, but I sure as hell don't want to eat there, specially for chicken/meat and seafood dishes.

Expect to pay:

Vegetables/Lentils - Rs. 50 to Rs. 100
Chicken/Meat - Rs. 100 to Rs. 200
Seafood - Rs 200 and up
Food Court Meals - Rs. 100 to Rs. 200

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!

From all the people who are reading your posts !!
WE ARE SO BORED OF YOU !!

Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Secondly the cost of living there does not mirror the UK in any way. You would likely have to sell a portion of fish and chips at something like about 25 rupees to cater to locals - that equates to about 32p English - which means that in English monetary terms the profit will be negligible. Even if you did make a profit, getting that profit out of India is like trying to rob Fort Knox !

And that is without all the day to day difficulties involving corruption, 'white skin/foreigner tax' (ie you pay double for supplies than a local), renwowned jealousy of the outsider doing well ....etc etc

- x
At least my post contains solid facts and figures. Most of this is hyperbole, with no basis. As I said earlier, you should refrain from making posts on topics on which you are ill informed.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:09 pm

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZ
What facts? - you haven't given or evidenced any ! not on takeaway chips anyway
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Adrain - any chance of you keeping posting a few more this evening ?- it will help me settle down to sleep quickly

Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

If anybody wants more specific information about market conditions or doing business in India, please feel free to PM me.

I have contacts both within the Indian business community and with British expats who have done business in India and/or have worked in India for British companies.

Nowhere is it easy to set up a profitable business. But, it's possible and it's lucrative. There is a reason why big companies from all over the world are lining up to enter the Indian market.

Don't take business advice from somebody who only has a passing/amateur view of the Indian market.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:04 pm

Keep going A drain - it's working very well and lots of people are getting some great benefit from this helpful insomnia cure you are giving- but just maybe one or two more of your draining posts would do the trick if you wouldn't mind - thanks .... one sheep two sheep three sheep...A drain's post...
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keep going A drain - it's working very well and lots of people are getting some great benefit from this helpful insomnia cure you are giving- but just maybe one or two more of your draining posts would do the trick if you wouldn't mind - thanks .... one sheep two sheep three sheep...A drain's post...
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz
And you are a "concierge" on this board(what ever that means)?

Wow, just wow.