OCI question

Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

alchemist72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OCI question

Hello: I have a query on an OCI application and I hope some of the knowledgeable folks here can help.

I am aged 40 and reside in India since the age of 3. On the basis of my birth in the UK, I applied for a British passport and obtained one in 2008. Thus, I have changed my nationality from Indian to British citizen. I also applied for passports for my three sons and have obtained them (British citizen passports). In accordance with the instructions of the BHC Delhi, I registered with the FRRO India and submitted visa applications. However, my children and I have not been issued Indian visas so far.

As I am unable to go to the UK, I have inquired with a well known Indian solicitor in the UK if it would be possible for an OCI application to be made in the UK for my children and myself through their office. I am aware that it is possible to apply in India, but it is very discouraging as I have not been even able to obtain a 6 month visa due to inordinate procedural delays; hence my query as to whether it could be done from the UK. They have replied positively and I do need to send the original passports to them. My mother is Indian and holds an Indian passport. I also have documentary proof of my upbringing in India such as my school leaving certificate, etc. I have never applied for or held an Indian passport myself; nor have my children.

Is there any technical/legal issue with my proceeding with this application?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:05 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OCI question

Hi Alchemist

I can't help regarding your OCI application but just wanted to wish you a warm welcome to BE and the Indian forum as well as wish you all the best with this procedure.
Indian bureaucracy is slow as ever I see !!

Dread - x
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

alchemist72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much, Dread!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:29 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alchemist72
Hello: I have a query on an OCI application and I hope some of the knowledgeable folks here can help.

I am aged 40 and reside in India since the age of 3. On the basis of my birth in the UK, I applied for a British passport and obtained one in 2008. Thus, I have changed my nationality from Indian to British citizen. I also applied for passports for my three sons and have obtained them (British citizen passports). In accordance with the instructions of the BHC Delhi, I registered with the FRRO India and submitted visa applications. However, my children and I have not been issued Indian visas so far.

As I am unable to go to the UK, I have inquired with a well known Indian solicitor in the UK if it would be possible for an OCI application to be made in the UK for my children and myself through their office. I am aware that it is possible to apply in India, but it is very discouraging as I have not been even able to obtain a 6 month visa due to inordinate procedural delays; hence my query as to whether it could be done from the UK. They have replied positively and I do need to send the original passports to them. My mother is Indian and holds an Indian passport. I also have documentary proof of my upbringing in India such as my school leaving certificate, etc. I have never applied for or held an Indian passport myself; nor have my children.

Is there any technical/legal issue with my proceeding with this application?

Thanks in advance for any info.
As far as I am aware you have to apply in the country you are resident and you may not be able to leave india without an Exit permit if you have no visa in the Brit Passport, If you are going to live in the UK then you could ask FRRO for exit permit then apply in the UK
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

oddjob1952 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will find that as you were not born in India and you a over 18 you will get a PIO card same rights as a OCI but has to renewed every 15 years. If your children were born in India they would get OCI if in UK then PIO. My wife was born in India one son born in India one in UK wife and boys got OCI as the one born in UK was under 18 when she applied, me I got PIO as married to my wife of 20 years who had just got her OCI card

As to the problem of leaving without having a Indian visia in uk passport try contacting immigration people at a airport and ask what they require from you maybe a police NOC would do the needful. If you apply for a visa in uk and have passports returned to you in India then they will see no entry stamp so you will still have problems. As an after thought how did you get into India when you were 3 without your own passport were you stamped in to your parents passport, if so is it still available if you show how you came in then it should be easier to get out.

Hope you get sorted as I know how the system in India can work against you sometimes I am here now in Kolkata and it's hard work dealing with officialdom.

Ken