Buying in Sri Lanka

Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:12 pm
  #31  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: BENAULIM
Posts: 611
stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

Originally Posted by wen
Steve you are supposed to have a 5yr visa so the 2month out doesn't apply to you, unless it's a 5yr tourist visa
Yes its a 5 year x visa, and i know the 2 month rule does not apply to me.
I also know i will never get another.
stevebenaulim is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:35 am
  #32  
 
dreadsoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,680
dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

Originally Posted by Lewys
Well explained Dreadsoc.

Lewys x
Thanks Lewys
Nice to see you posting again. We missed ya !

Dread - x
dreadsoc is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:45 am
  #33  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
ssjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

The buying process was very straightforward due to the incredibly helpful and efficient professionals who seemed to bypass the normal queues and systems in their efforts to help me achieve my aim.The legal owner of the property is the only one allowed to sell his property; in cases where a more than one person is considered the legal owners of the land each owner should agree to the sale. In most cases, an estate agency would ensure the ownership of the property even before the public offering. The deed of ownership must be checked by the lawyer in the Land Registry.
ssjohn is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:13 am
  #34  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 394
leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

Advertising?
leavinggoa is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:55 am
  #35  
cbc
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 125
cbc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

Originally Posted by leavinggoa
Advertising?
Hi SS John
Have you bought a property in Sri Lanka?
cbc is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:21 am
  #36  
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,478
johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

Originally Posted by cbc
Hi SS John
Have you bought a property in Sri Lanka?
How many "L"s in Gullible?

Look at this persons profile and you will see what Leavingoa was referring to........


.
johnny five is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:00 am
  #37  
 
dreadsoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,680
dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

Originally Posted by ssjohn
The buying process was very straightforward due to the incredibly helpful and efficient professionals who seemed to bypass the normal queues and systems in their efforts to help me achieve my aim.The legal owner of the property is the only one allowed to sell his property; in cases where a more than one person is considered the legal owners of the land each owner should agree to the sale. In most cases, an estate agency would ensure the ownership of the property even before the public offering. The deed of ownership must be checked by the lawyer in the Land Registry.

Hi SS John

Welcome to BE.
We welcome all posters onto this site, but there are a couple of phrases in your post which do give me some concerns, especially where this thread is discussing buying property in Sri Lanka. I prersume your post is referring to your own personal experience of buying a property in the said Sri Lanka?

First you state that the Professionals who seemed to bypass the normal queues and systems in their efforts to help me achieve my aim - Can you please explain how this was done?

Also the phrase "The legal owner of the property is the only one allowed to sell his property - please define 'legal owner'. Is this the person whose name appears on registered deeds? I ask this because from previous posts it appears that foreign buyers are being advised to put their property deeds in the name of a local, which means if the local person on the deeds is the 'legal owner' then the foreign buyer is on very dodgy ground.

Hope you will repost and expand upon these comments.
Again welcome to BE

Dread - detailed
x
dreadsoc is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:49 am
  #38  
cbc
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 125
cbc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi SS John

Welcome to BE.
We welcome all posters onto this site, but there are a couple of phrases in your post which do give me some concerns, especially where this thread is discussing buying property in Sri Lanka. I prersume your post is referring to your own personal experience of buying a property in the said Sri Lanka?

First you state that the Professionals who seemed to bypass the normal queues and systems in their efforts to help me achieve my aim - Can you please explain how this was done?

Also the phrase "The legal owner of the property is the only one allowed to sell his property - please define 'legal owner'. Is this the person whose name appears on registered deeds? I ask this because from previous posts it appears that foreign buyers are being advised to put their property deeds in the name of a local, which means if the local person on the deeds is the 'legal owner' then the foreign buyer is on very dodgy ground.

Hope you will repost and expand upon these comments.
Again welcome to BE

Dread - detailed
x
Thanks every one for your concern and vetting I really need all the help, if anyone is dodgy I can rely on this site/members to let me know, ones bitten twice as shy!!!
Maybe this is 100% a person who has bought in Sri lanka, if so please keep intouch, if not .......
cbc is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:48 pm
  #39  
BE Enthusiast
 
prestonjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: London.
Posts: 941
prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

I like your investigative style J5 and regarding Mikki too.My best friend bought a lease 25 years ago in Sri Lanka from a journalist mate of his.It was a detached bungalow in Ambalangoda. His friend subsequently died very soon after in New York.He enjoyed the property for 15 years then because of the war he decided to leave it to the servants, who were live in anyway.Two years ago the original owners sister arrived on the scene and claimed vacant possession of the place.Apparently if a foreign owner has not visited the property for five years, it can be reclaimed by the original owner or his heirs.When i was in Sri Lanka over Xmas, one of the jobs i did was see what was happening re The High Court in Galle.She had won the case and the family who had lived there for nearly 22 years, were back on the street.Despite the lease being a 20 year roll over indefinitely, she got it on the clause of vacant possession because the servants, being uneducated fishing folk,never re registered the place in their names.The moral of this story is only lease for 5 years because Sri Lankans are as greedy as Indians when it comes to property
prestonjohn is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:03 am
  #40  
BE Enthusiast
 
prestonjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: London.
Posts: 941
prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka as from yesterday is effectively run by a dictator with unlimited powers to do anything.Ramprakasha (?) can now do anything he wants with the Chinese bankrolling him and India training his Storm Troopers, Sri Lanka is heading for a civil war again only this time it wont be the indigenous population against the Tamils , but a political struggle for democracy.He has gagged the press, murdered journalists and thrown opposition politicians into jail on trumped charges. The judiciary are a joke.I wouldnt pitch an old tent there now.I think Ramprakasha wants to transform Sri Lanka into something resembling Singapore.The hangman is going to be very busy soon.....
prestonjohn is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:04 am
  #41  
cbc
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 125
cbc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
Sri Lanka as from yesterday is effectively run by a dictator with unlimited powers to do anything.Ramprakasha (?) can now do anything he wants with the Chinese bankrolling him and India training his Storm Troopers, Sri Lanka is heading for a civil war again only this time it wont be the indigenous population against the Tamils , but a political struggle for democracy.He has gagged the press, murdered journalists and thrown opposition politicians into jail on trumped charges. The judiciary are a joke.I wouldnt pitch an old tent there now.I think Ramprakasha wants to transform Sri Lanka into something resembling Singapore.The hangman is going to be very busy soon.....
Yes I'm watching there goverment, its not looking good.
cbc is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:42 pm
  #42  
 
dreadsoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,680
dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
Sri Lanka as from yesterday is effectively run by a dictator with unlimited powers to do anything.Ramprakasha (?) can now do anything he wants with the Chinese bankrolling him and India training his Storm Troopers, Sri Lanka is heading for a civil war again only this time it wont be the indigenous population against the Tamils , but a political struggle for democracy.He has gagged the press, murdered journalists and thrown opposition politicians into jail on trumped charges. The judiciary are a joke.I wouldnt pitch an old tent there now.I think Ramprakasha wants to transform Sri Lanka into something resembling Singapore.The hangman is going to be very busy soon.....
I would say that these factors alone are valid reasons to avoid buying in Sri Lanka at all costs !!!
Good points here PJ.

Dread - let sense prevail
x
dreadsoc is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:28 am
  #43  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 394
leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Buying in Sri Lanka

It's not just foreigners who have problems, take a look here.
leavinggoa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.