Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Young, single and willing to do anything. Almost.

Young, single and willing to do anything. Almost.

Old Nov 4th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

JMC1678 is on a distinguished road
Default Young, single and willing to do anything. Almost.

Hi,

Like so many people here I've went from being top of the priority list to almost the bottom. Over the past 18 months I've applied for 175 and 176 and I'm still no nearer to my goal. I'm seriously considering heading to AUS on a tourist visa in the new year and looking for an employer to sponsor me (this is a 457, off the top of my head). Luckily I have no ties in England, my job is on the MODL (for now) so I can do this.

So, does anyone have any opinions on how viable this is? I'd have to quit my job and give up my flat so it's not without risk, especially as I could return home unsuccesful. I guess I'm just looking for some advice before taking the plunge.

How long does this visa take to process? And how keen are employers to do this for a foreigner? From what I see online there seems to be a lot of vacancies for Boilermakers.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Kind regards,

John
Old Nov 4th 2009, 6:55 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young, single and willing to do anything. Almost.

Have you considered applying for the vacancies you see from outside Australia. That way you wouldnt be taking so much of a risk.

457 is one option but you should also look at 119 and 121 as well which are permanent visa's. Make sure you also reads booklet 5 from the immi site. www.immi.gov.au

Good luck.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Have you considered applying for the vacancies you see from outside Australia. That way you wouldnt be taking so much of a risk.

457 is one option but you should also look at 119 and 121 as well which are permanent visa's. Make sure you also reads booklet 5 from the immi site. www.immi.gov.au

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I've dabbled with recruitment agencies both here and in AUS. They tend to mess you around a lot. I'll have a look at you recommendations.

Many thanks,

John
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:17 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JMC1678
Thanks for the advice. I've dabbled with recruitment agencies both here and in AUS. They tend to mess you around a lot. I'll have a look at you recommendations.

Many thanks,

John
Hmmm...yeh I didnt have much luck with recruitment agencies so in the end I went straight to the employers. Got a much better response. You could try sending your CV direct on the off chance - just get the e-mail addresses of relevant companies and mailshot them. Worth a try!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:08 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

How old are you? You might be able to go on a working holiday visa if you're under 30 and haven't already had one.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
How old are you? You might be able to go on a working holiday visa if you're under 30 and haven't already had one.
A much better option. If you find an employer you can start work right away and you don't run the risk of immigration at the airport getting the idea that you are here as something other than a genuine tourist.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm 31 and already had a working visa.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:20 pm
Banned

luvumod is an unknown quantity at this point

Dorothy has a point, however, for a lot of people there is no other way to explore the range of job opportunities that if you are actually there.

There is also the advantage that you can meet with your potential employers face-to-face, see where you might want to live and see how the businesses run.

Just be clear at customs that you are there on a holiday and then do whatever you wish later on after that.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:05 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Originally Posted by luvumod
Dorothy has a point, however, for a lot of people there is no other way to explore the range of job opportunities that if you are actually there.

There is also the advantage that you can meet with your potential employers face-to-face, see where you might want to live and see how the businesses run.

Just be clear at customs that you are there on a holiday and then do whatever you wish later on after that.

Ya I go along with the above, thought I bagged an elephant there a small while ago with an employer sponsoring me(before I go to Oz), it may still happen.
If not I am still going on a tourist visa, and there is nothing against you, or can stop you from looking for sponsorship while your there.