Yessssss...We've got it!!!

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 6:29 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road
Default Sour Grapes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hills
[B]Ooohh. Be prepared. If you arrive in November in Brisbane, there's not that much time
to acclimatise before it gets stinking hot... you'll probably suffer the first
summer, but if you can stick with it, the 2nd will be fine. (According to my
sister-in-law who migrated here from London).

You'll have to get quickly into the way the locals live- try to rent a house with a
pool, and get a barbecue. Then live in summer wearing swimming costumes, and dunking
yourself when it gets too hot. Then barbecue dinner - and have a salad (keep out of
the kitchen).

Golly! Brizzy sounds like Hell compared to damp dark dreary November in UK.

Congratulations - maybe see you in a year or so!
Old Oct 9th 2001, 12:34 pm
Arthur Fridman

Careful with South Australia - don't go to Adelaide until you are ready to
die. Too boring!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
but
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi Wayne & family,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Congratulations! It's nice to hear some good news for a change![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Good luck for your future in Oz, where are you headed?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrea[/usenetquote2]

Old Oct 10th 2001, 1:12 am
Russell Driver

>
    >
    >

Come on Arthur - it's not that bad here in Adelaide. It depends how you look upon it
- yes it is quieter than Sydney/Melbourne but the lifestyle is wonderful. Property is
much,much cheaper,crime is a lot lower and you can enjoy a lot of outdoor pursuits
without having to travel for hours. We are busy and outgoing people and love it here
- there is something for everyone.

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of preparation and opportunity cross. www.auseelife.com

Old Oct 10th 2001, 1:15 pm
Caroline

Come on Arthur - it's not that bad here in Adelaide. It depends how you look upon it
- yes it is quieter than Sydney/Melbourne but the lifestyle is wonderful. Property is
much,much cheaper,crime is a lot lower and you can enjoy a lot of outdoor pursuits
without having to travel for hours. We are busy and outgoing people and love it here

Russell

--
Nice to hear some positive things about Adelaide - people seem to love it or hate it!

Is is possible that all the disparaging comments are from frustrated teenagers?

Certainly everything I've read (eating out, beaches, culture, schools etc) seems to be very encouraging. But I guess you just have to visit to see what suits.

Caroline B
Old Oct 10th 2001, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Caroline B

Russell

--
Nice to hear some positive things about Adelaide - people seem to love it or hate it!

Is is possible that all the disparaging comments are from frustrated teenagers?

Certainly everything I've read (eating out, beaches, culture, schools etc) seems to be very encouraging. But I guess you just have to visit to see what suits.

Caroline B
I think Adelaide's great. I agree with everything Russell said in the above post.

I'm just about to turn 23, and I find the place has a lot to offer people of my age.

I was in London for a couple of years before I came here, I'm much happier with the pace of life here. Everything is so much more affordable and accessible. From my flat (3 balconies, pool, rent which is 1/8 of my earnings) I can get to the beach in 20 minutes, or the Hills in 25.

Before I came here I was worried that I was choosing the most boring of the capital cities, but having experienced the others I'm happy with my decision.

To return to the Adelaide vs Brizzy debate: bear in mind that it does get bloody hot here (43c last year) however, the heat is dry which means it's not nearly as oppressive as the QLD climate.

Best of luck with the move.

Nara
Old Oct 11th 2001, 4:51 pm
Caroline

Originally posted by Nara

I think Adelaide's great. I agree with everything Russell said in the above post.

I'm just about to turn 23, and I find the place has a lot to offer people of my age.

I was in London for a couple of years before I came here, I'm much happier with the pace of life here. Everything is so much more affordable and accessible. From my flat (3 balconies, pool, rent which is 1/8 of my earnings) I can get to the beach in 20 minutes, or the Hills in 25.

Before I came here I was worried that I was choosing the most boring of the capital cities, but having experienced the others I'm happy with my decision.

To return to the Adelaide vs Brizzy debate: bear in mind that it does get bloody hot here (43c last year) however, the heat is dry which means it's not nearly as oppressive as the QLD climate.

Best of luck with the move.

Nara [/B]

Nara,
Sounds like Adelaide is good for you. Heat is not a problem for me (after non stop drizzle in the UK)
But not getting a job could be!

How do you find the jobs situation in Adelaide?
We are computer workers , and have heard that Adelaide job prospects are grim. Having said that, I assume if you're in work then your quality of life could be very high compared to many areas in Oz (and certainly many in the UK)

Caroline
Old Oct 11th 2001, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Nara,
Sounds like Adelaide is good for you. Heat is not a problem for me (after non stop drizzle in the UK)
But not getting a job could be!

How do you find the jobs situation in Adelaide?
We are computer workers , and have heard that Adelaide job prospects are grim. Having said that, I assume if you're in work then your quality of life could be very high compared to many areas in Oz (and certainly many in the UK)

Caroline [/B][/QUOTE]

I've been lucky with work, even with the 3 month restriction on my WHV. I've been temping in office administration roles.
However I've heard there is a bit of a shortage of good jobs at the moment. My boyfriend has been in a job for 7 months, and in all that time he's been looking for another. He wanted to get into Marketing, but has had to resort to sales, he has a degree in Commerce and a bit of experience in London, he's now thinking of going back to university to try finance.
There's a lot of talk of increasing unemployment rates at the moment, but I would imagine that would be a national problem, just thank your lucky stars that you're not in the passenger airline business.

N