Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Visa Sub 417 to Onshore Partner Visa 820/801 Question..

Working Holiday Visa Sub 417 to Onshore Partner Visa 820/801 Question..

Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

walkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant future
Default Working Holiday Visa Sub 417 to Onshore Partner Visa 820/801 Question..

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to on this forum so here goes...

We have just submitted our visa application for the onshore partner/spouse visa 820/801 and I have been issues with a Bridging Visa Class A.

I was previously on a Working Holiday Visa (sub 417), I understand the Class A Bridging Visa extends whatever visa you previously had, I know with the working holiday visa there was a 6 month working limitation but I wonder if I will get an additional 6 months of work.

I am 1 month in to a new job so will I have 5 remaining months on my new bridging visa? Or a fresh 6 months etc.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa Sub 417 to Onshore Partner Visa 820/801 Question..

Originally Posted by walkerroo
Hi everyone,

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to on this forum so here goes...

We have just submitted our visa application for the onshore partner/spouse visa 820/801 and I have been issues with a Bridging Visa Class A.

I was previously on a Working Holiday Visa (sub 417), I understand the Class A Bridging Visa extends whatever visa you previously had, I know with the working holiday visa there was a 6 month working limitation but I wonder if I will get an additional 6 months of work.

I am 1 month in to a new job so will I have 5 remaining months on my new bridging visa? Or a fresh 6 months etc.

Thanks in advance
Your will still be subject to the 6 months - which includes any time already with that employer. However if you want to stay long term with that employer it might be worth contacting your CO and asking, they might be able to waive the rule, especially if it could be a permananent opportunity and you could prove that if you have to leave the job it will cause financial hardship......
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

walkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa Sub 417 to Onshore Partner Visa 820/801 Question..

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Your will still be subject to the 6 months - which includes any time already with that employer. However if you want to stay long term with that employer it might be worth contacting your CO and asking, they might be able to waive the rule, especially if it could be a permananent opportunity and you could prove that if you have to leave the job it will cause financial hardship......
Thanks so much for your reply. As soon as we are assigned a CO I will ask them all about it.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:00 am
Cez
Account Closed

Cez is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that once you are on the BVA you get a fresh six months with your current employer. Beyond this you are still subject to the six month limitation, but I understand it is possible to have this waived on the basis you are waiting for a permanent (sort of) visa to be issued. Good luck!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Elmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to all

I am in the exact same position as you... WHV to 820. I was with my company for 6 months and applied to have my working rights extended further on the basis that my 820 application had been lodged. Cant remember the number of the form you have to fill out but very straight forward, got my company to write a support letter stating they intend to keep me on if my visa is granted. Once sent to immigration my working rights were extended for a further six months, within 48 hours!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cez
My understanding is that once you are on the BVA you get a fresh six months with your current employer.
Out of interest, which clause of the Migration Regulations or written DIAC policy gives rise to this conclusion?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:29 pm
Cez
Account Closed

Cez is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't have the time or inclination to go through reams of migration law, but I've heard this info from a number of sources. Googling it brings up this thread:

http://www.*************/forum/migra...ging-visa.html

Advice from a MARA agent on the last post.

regards, Ceri
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cez
Don't have the time or inclination to go through reams of migration law, but I've heard this info from a number of sources. Googling it brings up this thread:

http://www.*************/forum/migra...ging-visa.html

Advice from a MARA agent on the last post.

regards, Ceri
Direct sources are far preferable to links to other forums which may be filtered for a number of reasons, sorry.