Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Working holiday 417 visa to state sponsorship 190 visa?

Working holiday 417 visa to state sponsorship 190 visa?

Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:46 am
The Plumbers Wife

Lisa-93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Working holiday 417 visa to state sponsorship 190 visa?

Hello,

It has just been devastatingly brought to my attention that my partner and I do not have sufficient points to apply for a permanent residency visa from the UK, we are currently short 10 points. We have tried the IELTS route but so far have no luck in achieving band of 7 (very unfortunate that a native English speaker who struggles with reading and writing skills has to sit such a test) so the only route I can think of is getting a WHV and working in skilled employment in Australia for 12 months then applying for NSW SS, which will all total to 10 points.

My question is - if we get a WHV and extend to second WHV so we total 12 months skilled employment as Plumber (including 3 months regional work), can we then apply for state sponsorship and eventually the 190 visa providing we are in Australia and the WHV has not ran out? And of course this is hoping NSW is still offering sponsorship in 2 year time (any thoughts..?)

I can't find much on the internet about the restrictions of doing this, and it seems to make sense to me. Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working holiday 417 visa to state sponsorship 190 visa?

Originally Posted by Lisa-93
Hello,

It has just been devastatingly brought to my attention that my partner and I do not have sufficient points to apply for a permanent residency visa from the UK, we are currently short 10 points. We have tried the IELTS route but so far have no luck in achieving band of 7 (very unfortunate that a native English speaker who struggles with reading and writing skills has to sit such a test) so the only route I can think of is getting a WHV and working in skilled employment in Australia for 12 months then applying for NSW SS, which will all total to 10 points.

My question is - if we get a WHV and extend to second WHV so we total 12 months skilled employment as Plumber (including 3 months regional work), can we then apply for state sponsorship and eventually the 190 visa providing we are in Australia and the WHV has not ran out? And of course this is hoping NSW is still offering sponsorship in 2 year time (any thoughts..?)

I can't find much on the internet about the restrictions of doing this, and it seems to make sense to me. Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Why not just look at a 489 visa - temporary to begin with but you can work for an employer longer than 6 months and does lead to a permanent visa. Not sure if you will get in to NSW though - just looked and they seem to be asking everyone to get 6's on IELTS.

You should also be aware that plumbing is a licensed trade with lots of hoops to jump through
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:34 am
The Plumbers Wife

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Why not just look at a 489 visa - temporary to begin with but you can work for an employer longer than 6 months and does lead to a permanent visa. Not sure if you will get in to NSW though - just looked and they seem to be asking everyone to get 6's on IELTS.

You should also be aware that plumbing is a licensed trade with lots of hoops to jump through
Hi,

Just looked at this visa - do you not also need 60 points to be eligible for this visa? Or can you currently have 50 and then the sponsorship will give the remaining 10 points?

I suppose this is one way in, and certainly seems better than WHV and losing out on SS. Do you have much experience with this? I will have to start from square one in terms of research and how the visa works etc but its a good solution, thanks
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:38 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

hope you are also aware that he has to jump several hoops to be licensed to work as plumber in Australia, it can take months once onshore
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:44 am
The Plumbers Wife

Oh yes believe me I am well aware of their licensing requirements! We're pretty much sorted in terms of the licence, like we know what we need to do and how to do it etc, and it's much easier now we're going to NSW and not VIC
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:50 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa-93
Hi,

Just looked at this visa - do you not also need 60 points to be eligible for this visa? Or can you currently have 50 and then the sponsorship will give the remaining 10 points?

I suppose this is one way in, and certainly seems better than WHV and losing out on SS. Do you have much experience with this? I will have to start from square one in terms of research and how the visa works etc but its a good solution, thanks
You need 60 in total but the nomination is worth 10, so 50 points from age, qualifications, experience etc

There is info on the skill select site - Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) - but the visa is valid for 4 years and has a pathway to PR - Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887) - if you live in a designated regional area for 2 years, with a minimum of 12 months in full time employment. Info on regional areas is given on the 489 pages
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:52 am
The Plumbers Wife

okay thanks! will let you know if I have anymore questions