Working on bridging visa

Old Apr 7th 2018, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Dondons1uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working on bridging visa

Hey all!

New to forum. Moving to Australia in about 12 weeks. Very excited. Will initially be on tourist visa then bridging visa pending decision on partner visa.

I know I’m allowed to work whilst on bridging visa. I guess I just want some reassurance that people actually will hire those on bridging visas and aren’t put off by them (I understand may take 2+ years to get partner visa)

I’m a lawyer if that is relevant looking for legal work!
Old Apr 7th 2018, 10:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working on bridging visa

Originally Posted by Dondons1uk
Hey all!

New to forum. Moving to Australia in about 12 weeks. Very excited. Will initially be on tourist visa then bridging visa pending decision on partner visa.

I know I’m allowed to work whilst on bridging visa. I guess I just want some reassurance that people actually will hire those on bridging visas and aren’t put off by them (I understand may take 2+ years to get partner visa)

Hi. I'd strongly recommend that you repost your question on our Australia Immigration and Visas forum for some further advice regarding your plan to settle in Australia using a tourist visa/bridging visa/partner visa route Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) - British Expats
Old Apr 7th 2018, 10:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi. I'd strongly recommend that you repost your question on our Australia Immigration and Visas forum for some further advice regarding your plan to settle in Australia using a tourist visa/bridging visa/partner visa route Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) - British Expats
I’ve moved it for the OP.

Old Apr 7th 2018, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in the UK visa grants are very quick at the moment. I would seriously consider applying offshore ASAP, recent timelines have been less than 12 weeks, more like 6.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 11:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
If you are in the UK visa grants are very quick at the moment. I would seriously consider applying offshore ASAP, recent timelines have been less than 12 weeks, more like 6.
Agreed. Apply now, get your medicals and police certificates done ASAP and you'll likely have it before your current travel date. Doing two years on a bridging visa is not a good idea.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 11:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Agreed. Apply now, get your medicals and police certificates done ASAP and you'll likely have it before your current travel date. Doing two years on a bridging visa is not a good idea.
BiP, the OP has also identified in her post on the Welcome Inn that she is married to an Australian and has a 7 month old baby. Would bub need to get his/her Australian passport before arrival into Oz?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
BiP, the OP has also identified in her post on the Welcome Inn that she is married to an Australian and has a 7 month old baby. Would bub need to get his/her Australian passport before arrival into Oz?
It would be advisable. If the child has already been registered as an Australian citizen by descent then they will need their Australian passport.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:42 am
Concierge

It would be advisable. If the child has already been registered as an Australian citizen by descent then they will need their Australian passport.
Thanks BiP
Old Apr 8th 2018, 3:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all!

Firstly, why not apply for the Partner visa offshore - assuming you are in the UK the processing time is currently around 2-3 months for a 309/100, as opposed to onshore 2-3 YEARS.

Secondly, yes it is tricky to get permanent work on a bridging visa as many employers are reluctant to hire someone who may be given orders to leave the country at any moment. They often don't wish to take on someone who has no permanent permission to stay, and not even a substantive temporary visa. Bridging visas are also very limiting for stuff like travel - you will need to apply for a new Bridging Visa B every time you wish to leave the country for instance.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to work as a lawyer, you will need to gain registration. The state legal body for which state you are moving to will advise on this, but be prepared to have to undertake a number of (expensive) university modules.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Thank you all very helpful

Re applying onshore we were told it could also be up to two years. We are in a tiny flat no lift 3 floors up with a baby and have to move as it’s not suitable. We considered relocating in uk whilst waiting but will be wasting thousands in rent.

We spoke to an immigration lawyer who suggested applying onshore.

Re working as a lawyer my qualifications are with the board now and a recruiter has suggested I can work as a special counsel or paralegal in the meantime for law firms or other related work.

It’s concerning that people may be put off by a bridging visa ..... thanks for your replies
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Hi we were told by immigration lawyer just to get this in Australia too because of the length of time it’s taking here ....

We’d have to get him citizenship then the passport
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks

We’ve been told differently. Do you have direct knowledge of this as we were told more like 18 months to two years here too!
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I’ve moved it for the OP.

Thank you!
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

We’ve been told differently. Do you have direct knowledge of this as we were told more like 18 months to two years here too!
Then you have been told wrong and it would be a concern a registered migration agent would say that - I am assuming your agent is a fully registered migration agent?

At the moment off shore applications are taking about three months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.