Working in Australia

Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:23 am
Just Joined

BExpat is on a distinguished road
Default Working in Australia

I just have a general question - I'm planning on working in Australia. I am just wondering - are most work visas in Australia permanent visas? Or do most of them eventually offer the holder to go onto a permanent visa? Or can I just apply for a temporary work visa for Australia and then later apply for a permanent residence visa if I want to stay in Australia permanently?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Australia

Originally Posted by BExpat
I just have a general question - I'm planning on working in Australia. I am just wondering - are most work visas in Australia permanent visas?
Most are temporary. But there are permanent migration visas available.

Or do most of them eventually offer the holder to go onto a permanent visa? Or can I just apply for a temporary work visa for Australia and then later apply for a permanent residence visa if I want to stay in Australia permanently?
No automatic "graduation" from temporary to permanent visas.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:02 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I just have a general question - I'm planning on working in Australia. I am just wondering - are most work visas in Australia permanent visas? Or do most of them eventually offer the holder to go onto a permanent visa? Or can I just apply for a temporary work visa for Australia and then later apply for a permanent residence visa if I want to stay in Australia permanently?

Very broad question so I can only answer broadly.

Most visas issued by Australia will be permanent.
You can get a temporary visa but should not assume that the employer will subsequently offer a Permanet Visa; they may or they may not.
You can apply for a temporary and then arrive and then apply for PR either in your own right or though employer nominated sponsorship (ENS).
Broadly, a temp visa confers no additional rights or ability to get PR. However, under ONE of the alternative criteria to get ENS PR having been employed for 12 months with the sponsoring employer is required; something that could onlyhave been achieved by being on temp visa.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Hm. Yes i was of the impression that most visas for Australia that allows the holder to work will be permanent.

What kinds of temporary work visas are available? I'm thinking of working in Australia for a while and then going back home.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hm. Yes i was of the impression that most visas for Australia that allows the holder to work will be permanent.
Once again - not necessarily true.

What kinds of temporary work visas are available? I'm thinking of working in Australia for a while and then going back home.
457 visa (work permit) is quite common:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions

There are other kinds of temporary working visa, eg working holiday visas.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:13 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to source some stats but couldn't quickly. My guess (excluding ETA and WHV visas) is that there are probably more PR issued than Temp; though this maynot be accurate.

If you have ability to do WHV then do that if you want to "try out" Australia. Alternatively 457 is the most likely.

Do please do your research to understand what 457 provides and what it excludes. Also consider that while not impossible to transfer from 457 to PR there is a risk of being "trapped" on 457 and elapsement of time (getting older) may even reduce your ability to subsequently get PR.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jayr
I tried to source some stats but couldn't quickly. My guess (excluding ETA and WHV visas) is that there are probably more PR issued than Temp; though this maynot be accurate.

If you have ability to do WHV then do that if you want to "try out" Australia. Alternatively 457 is the most likely.

Do please do your research to understand what 457 provides and what it excludes. Also consider that while not impossible to transfer from 457 to PR there is a risk of being "trapped" on 457 and elapsement of time (getting older) may even reduce your ability to subsequently get PR.
Hm... ok.
But a WHV would only last for 1 year right?
Any other temporary visas other than 457?
How long does it take to apply for a permanent visa? I've heard it's a long and drawn out process so that's why im not so keen to go for that if i'm not planning to stay long term....
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:27 am
Karma Comedian

Hm... ok.
But a WHV would only last for 1 year right?
Any other temporary visas other than 457?
How long does it take to apply for a permanent visa? I've heard it's a long and drawn out process so that's why im not so keen to go for that if i'm not planning to stay long term....

Both TEMP and PR visas take quite some time. The PR visa has more onerous initial obligations and takes longer to process.

I wouldn't, however, base your VISA choice on the adminsitrative burden and the time taken to process; rather pick the VISA that will provide what your medium to longer term requirements are.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We are going on a 457 visa. This is valid for three years and allows me and my OH to work in Oz. We intend to stay there and later apply for PR.
It took us about three months to get a 457 visa. You should be aware though that this requires you to have a job offer first from a company willing to sponser you. This is unlikely in very junior roles - tends to be highly skilled / proffessionals.
The working holiday visa lets you stay for one year in Oz and work for upto 6 months out of that year and is fairly fast and easy to get
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:47 am
Just Joined

I see. Hm then would you also qualify for one of the permanent visas (like skilled migrant visas) if you have a highly skilled/professional job? But I think a permanent visa can take a year +?? That's quite a long time to wait.....
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Cant help much with Perm visas, though i do think they take a long time to get.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:32 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Cant help much with Perm visas, though i do think they take a long time to get.
Considering skills assessment (few months in its own right) and visa application processing - hell yes they take a long time. Allocation of the CO to the general skilled visas takes 5 months alone, according to the latest news.
NJ
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newjersey
Considering skills assessment (few months in its own right) and visa application processing - hell yes they take a long time. Allocation of the CO to the general skilled visas takes 5 months alone, according to the latest news.
NJ
Hm.. How long does it take after allocation of CO? There are all the medicals and sending in police checks etc right? Sigh. It sounds like there needs to be a fair bit of planning involved...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

From chatting to people on here who are going down the PR route, i think i would allow the best part of a year from start to finish
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:00 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Reading between the lines (and I am may be wrong) you strike me as young and single.
If so and you're really just thinking of trying it here, can I suggest you got for PR if you can? I did it in 1987 at the age of 22 on my own. I cam here then in 1995 I moved back to UK (not due to homesickness - I didnt want to go back) anyway as by that time I had citizenship, last year when an opportunity to move back to Aus came up, I sad yes and got on plane. Dual is the way to go. A year seems like a long time but its not - its only 52 leaving parties!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.