Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

work experience and engineering graduation different

work experience and engineering graduation different

Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

manumohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work experience and engineering graduation different

Hi,

I have an query regarding Australian skilled visa immigration.

My 4 years undergraduate degree is Electronics and Communication Engineering.

I have 7 years of work experience as an Software Engineer in IT firm which is not related with my under graduation. Please let me know if I am eligible to apply for Job code : software engineer 261313 through ACS.

Thanks,
Manu
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 12:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work experience and engineering graduation different

Originally Posted by manumohan
Hi,

I have 7 years of work experience as an Software Engineer in IT firm which is not related with my under graduation. Please let me know if I am eligible to apply for Job code : software engineer 261313 through ACS.

Thanks,
Manu
ACS have some good guides on their website. The summary of criteria shows how they require a combination of qualifications and experience to deem an applicant skilled.

They also have a guide to the different occupation codes, and what skills you need to have to qualify for that code.

Have you had a look at their site?
Old Nov 4th 2016, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

hami is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manumohan
Hi,

Thanks,
Manu
I think it depends on the CDR that you write. For example my degree is mechanical engineer but my job experience was mostly in civil engineering, when writing my CDR I highlighted the points that I could somehow relate to mechanical engineer, and I got accepted pretty quickly.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 12:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hami
I think it depends on the CDR that you write. For example my degree is mechanical engineer but my job experience was mostly in civil engineering, when writing my CDR I highlighted the points that I could somehow relate to mechanical engineer, and I got accepted pretty quickly.
ACS have a different assessment to Engineers Australia. For ACS, there is no CDR route.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 6:19 am
Just Joined

hami is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
ACS have a different assessment to Engineers Australia. For ACS, there is no CDR route.

Really? So ACS doesn't need a CDR or something like that?
Old Nov 5th 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by hami
Really? So ACS doesn't need a CDR or something like that?
No, the ACS criteria is a mix of qualifications and experience. If you have a degree with ICT major closely related to your nominated occupation, you only need 2 years experience in the last 10 years (or 4 years at any time) to be deemed skilled. If you do not have an ICT degree, you need 6 years experience plus a successful RPL. All experience required to be deemed skilled is not skilled employment, and therefore does not earn points with DIBP. ACS summary criteria here - https://more.acs.org.au/__data/asset...teria-2014.pdf