Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Work experience (was: Am I going to get 15 Points or 20 for English lang. ?)

Work experience (was: Am I going to get 15 Points or 20 for English lang. ?)

Old Jan 5th 2003, 3:38 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work experience (was: Am I going to get 15 Points or 20 for English lang. ?)

Lana,

Your work references should contain these details clearly:
1) your job title
2) your salary per month
3) work hours, whether part time or full time
4) dates of employment and cessation (if any)
5) job scope

Any salary slips, letters of commendation, letters of promotion, letter of comfirmation, long service award certificates; anything that will strengthen your claim of employment won't hurt.

I doubt telecommuting will render your husband's job invalid as far as DIMIA is concerned. Draft out a covering letter explaining why the company's address is no where near your own address (actually I wonder whether DIMIA case officers know their geography well enough to tell the difference!)

Peter

P.S. Lana's original post is attached for reference in Usenet.

Originally posted by Lana
> Peter (ptlabs) said:
> You should also be careful when claiming specific
> work experience points, as many people get caught
> unaware by the many issues concerning deeming
> dates, skilled employment and documentation.

Can someone tell me what is needed on these letters? I am getting a new one from latest employer to make the 3 years after deeming date (so it is not the same one that was sent to the ACS), but I am just re-submitting the ones we used for the ACS.

I know they must state that it was paid employment, conducted for over 20h a week, and clearly state what was involved in the job (to prove that it is skilled work). Am I forgetting something?

Also, this is not a real problem cause it is after October 2002 and the deeming date is June 1999 (so we would get 3 out of 4 years without it), but my husband has been telecommuting - is that acceptable? It is paid employment and for over 20h a week, but we have to state that since the company that he works for will send a letter with an address in a completely different city from the one we live in.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jan 5th 2003, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much, Peter. I had no idea the letters needed salary, so they'd probably ask for new letters later, which would delay the process even more...
Old Jan 6th 2003, 12:15 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lana
Thanks so much, Peter. I had no idea the letters needed salary, so they'd probably ask for new letters later, which would delay the process even more...
I'm not saying that all the information I've listed must be in there. I'm just saying that it would be better to have everything covered at one go - there won't be a need to re-do anything after that one time then.

Your salary information will give DIMIA an indication of whether your employment was for a skilled job or otherwise. It'll be tough for DIMIA to take one's job seriously if you were paid, say, A$30/- per month, for instance.

Peter
Old Jan 6th 2003, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

lidleony is an unknown quantity at this point

hi peter, will the DIMA deemed a skilled or unskilled work by the level of the wages too? i mean for example, you are not getting paid as high as you deserved, will the DIMA then questiions your skill because you only got paid so little, even though your duties and qualifications are high.

Thnaks
Old Jan 6th 2003, 8:18 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by lidleony
will the DIMA deemed a skilled or unskilled work by the level of the wages too? i mean for example, you are not getting paid as high as you deserved, will the DIMA then questiions your skill because you only got paid so little, even though your duties and qualifications are high.
The salary information I initially mentioned was included because DIMIA considers work experience based on these three factors:

1) skilled, and
2) paid, and
3) of at least 20 hours per week.

Showing salary information will satisfy point (2) above. I don't think being an underpaid skilled worker will have any severe impacts on your application. However, if it's at a ridiculously low wage level (i.e. very much less than just underpaid by normal standards), then the level of skills (point 1 above) needed to perform your work may be called into question.

Peter
Old Jan 6th 2003, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

saturn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have the following refence from one of my previous employers. I wonder weather it will be be enough to convince DIMIA that it was skilled work experience. You will be highly appreciated if you could comment over it. ( i know the salary thing is still missing from it, but besides that what is your openion about "Main responsibilities" part of the letter)

EMPLOYER XXX
NAME XXX
DATE OF BIRTH XXX

16.8.1999 - 29.02.2000 Software Engineer in OSD Department

Main Responsibilites:
- xxx has programmed tools for our Net
Community software package. He has
used Java 2 Platform and JBuilder as a
Development tool.

The Reason of Resign Temporary employment relationship

Estimation of the xxx performed all his duties in an active
Employment manner and at his... etc.

Techincal Director
xxx

-Saturn
Old Jan 7th 2003, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Lana is an unknown quantity at this point

The letters we used for the ACS were exactly like the one you described, Saturn.

I'd say just add salary and hours - the skilled part seems to be well-established.