Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Will DIMA ever ask for work proof after medicals?

Will DIMA ever ask for work proof after medicals?

Old Aug 28th 2002, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Cantila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will DIMA ever ask for work proof after medicals?

Friends,

I've searched this forum using different word combinations, but will now just ask in hopes someone can offer words of wisdom:

We submitted our Skilled Independent application June 3. Looking on austimeline at people with similar profiles, it seems we'll be asked to do our medicals in 3 to perhaps 5 months.

Question: once you receive the request to do medicals, can you assume that the work experience criteria has been satisfied? In other words, has anyone received the "time to do medicals" letter and THEN been asked to provide supplemental proof of employment?

I ask because our points are solid for all other matters, and should be solid for work experience as well, as long as the letter we've provided is all that is needed. It would be good to know that I can stop worrying about the work part after we get the letter.

Situation: my husband worked as a business analyst for a Mexican company while we were doing MBA programs in the USA. The work was on a contractual basis (he has a signed contract for the terms, pay, start and end date). However, he did not file taxes on the money because it is a Mexican company and the level of money earned was so small that it did not require filing taxes in the US. DIMA recognzing this work experience is critical to our points.

In our application, we included a letter on letterhead from the the VP of the company, who is the person who hired him, stating his title, duties, and time period of work However, if we are asked for more evidence, all we will be able to offer is the consultant agreement.

Any words of wisdom out there? Thanks in advance and sorry this is so long...

Cantila
Old Aug 28th 2002, 8:55 pm
Jaj

Default Re: Will DIMA ever ask for work proof after medicals?

It would be unusual for proof of work experience to be requested after the medicals
were requested.

Jeremy

>On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:58:39 +0000, Cantila <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Question: once you receive the request to do medicals, can you assume that the work
    >experience criteria has been satisfied? In other words, has anyone received the
    >"time to do medicals" letter and THEN been asked to provide supplemental proof of
    >employment?

Old Aug 29th 2002, 9:31 am
L Ballard

I'm not sure about the requirements for Business Analysts, but most of the
occupations for which one would apply for residency under require you to apply to the
relevant professional body in australia to assess your eligibility for the points
before the application is even commenced. For example, I applied as an Analyst
Programmer and had to send my initial application to the Australian Computer Society
prior to the application to DIMA. You should then receive a letter either
"recommending" or "not recommending" that you are eligible to apply for the
particular skill you claim. This letter should go with the main application.

The main (DIMA) application requests that you send the same information (references,
degree certificate, professional qualifications) that you sent to the main
professional body, but the recommendation letter is the main sway in their decision
(I believe) and if you have provided all of this you shouldn't be asked for anything
further (I wasn't)

Hope this helps,

Luke

Old Aug 29th 2002, 2:08 pm
Petecito

| Looking on austimeline at people with similar profiles, it seems we'll be asked to
    | do our medicals in 3 to perhaps 5 months.

Know that the ICT fast track was disbanded around about that time and the examples
you're referring to may have included such profiles. I don't believe anyone applying
after the fast tracking was dropped has had their medicals requested of them, so the
same rule of thumb won't necessarily apply. I'm guessing it's going to be more like
6-8 months

Old Aug 29th 2002, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Cantila is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Petecito:
    | Looking on austimeline at people with similar profiles, it seems we'll be asked to
    | do our medicals in 3 to perhaps 5 months.

Know that the ICT fast track was disbanded around about that time and the examples
you're referring to may have included such profiles. I don't believe anyone applying
after the fast tracking was dropped has had their medicals requested of them, so the
same rule of thumb won't necessarily apply. I'm guessing it's going to be more like
6-8 months
Hi Petecito,

No, its really folks that fit our profile - non-MODL, non-fast tracked, Skilled Independent, processed in Adelaide. Three to five months at the most.

Of course, as in all things, the past does not predict the future...
Old Aug 29th 2002, 9:04 pm
Jaj

Adelaide did issue some non-fast track visas rather quickly in its first few months
but seems to have slowed down now.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:31:06 +0000, Cantila <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi Petecito,
    >No, its really folks that fit our profile - non-MODL, non-fast tracked, Skilled
    >Independent, processed in Adelaide. Three to five months at the most.
    >Of course, as in all things, the past does not predict the future...
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com