Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Will ban from USA effect 457 visa application?

Will ban from USA effect 457 visa application?

Old Sep 20th 2008, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Smallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant future
Default Will ban from USA effect 457 visa application?

Hello,

Some of you may have already read my story as I posted it a couple of weeks ago but I just wanted to see if there were any other views out there...

My husband has been offered a job in Melbourne and we will be applying for a 457 visa.

The problem is... back in 2002, I went to America on a tourist visa and stayed with a British friend of mine. The main purpose of the visit was to have a break - do some travelling around California. I stayed with my friend and regularly looked after her 2 children for which she gave me "pocket money".

I left the US after 3 months and then tried to return 2 weeks later on another tourist visa. I was planning to have another 3 months in the US before returning to the UK again.

However, I was refused entry, based on my recent visit having raised Immigrations suspicisons. They questioned me extensively, convinced that I had been working, and threatened me with prosecution if I didn't tell the truth. I told them the situation with my friend - that she had paid me money but she would never have employed anyone else and I had no intention of staying in the country as my boyfriend was back in the UK.

Anyway, I was refused entry and banned (was not told for how long - 5 years I think).

So... we have told my husband's prospective employer about this and he doesn't think it will be a problem but that doesn't stop me worrying!

I will have to give details of this on the 457 application- what should I say?

Thanks again
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will ban from USA effect 457 visa application?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561516

Already extensively discussed, so not clear why there is a need to ask the same question again.

You may want to check with a U.S. immigration attorney as to whether you really have been "banned".
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Smallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant future

I just posted again in case there were any new viewers.

I have contacted the US Embassy in London but there is the obvious wait to get an answer (can be up to 60 days). In any case, I know I was refused entry and banned so that isn't the query, just will it effect my application for Oz.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smallpurplecat
I just posted again in case there were any new viewers.

I have contacted the US Embassy in London but there is the obvious wait to get an answer (can be up to 60 days). In any case, I know I was refused entry and banned so that isn't the query, just will it effect my application for Oz.
You don't know that you were banned. Just because someone told you so doesn't make it true. And you should be discussing your situation with an immigration attorney (if it's important), not the Embassy. That way you can find out if you really were banned or not.

It's not considered good etiquette to ask the same question twice on forums, especially if it has already been answers. If the answers you have received aren't good enough then you may wish to seek professional assistance.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

I consider myself told off - sorry
Old Sep 21st 2008, 2:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smallpurplecat
I consider myself told off - sorry
I'd echo Jeremy's points. Its not a question that can be answered on a public forum as no-one here will know whether it will affect your applciation to Australia.
You really do need to address the issue of why you were banned from the USA. If you apply to Australia without that info, they may request it from you anyway, so you would be best to get hold of it asap.
Good luck