Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Wife Problem? Can't believe its happening to me

Wife Problem? Can't believe its happening to me

Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice
Default Wife Problem? Can't believe its happening to me

Hi there,

I am about to receive my ACS results, did my IELTS and all set to apply for the Visa.

Now there is one hUUge problem that I am facing.

I am married and have a kid. My wife and I are separated for more than a year now and we don't talk nor communicate. Now, my 1 year old child is in her custody. We are separated but are NOT divorced yet.

I just have couple of questions:

1 - Do I have to include their details in my visa application. ( knowing, we are separated)
2 - Are they (wife and kid) now considered as my dependents ?
3- Do I have to submit/attach any document to prove to the visa officer that we are separated.

These questions are really killing me. Just donno what to do.

Any help would really add life to my life!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wife Problem? Can't believe its happening to me

Originally Posted by live2learn
Hi there,

I am about to receive my ACS results, did my IELTS and all set to apply for the Visa.

Now there is one hUUge problem that I am facing.

I am married and have a kid. My wife and I are separated for more than a year now and we don't talk nor communicate. Now, my 1 year old child is in her custody. We are separated but are NOT divorced yet.

I just have couple of questions:

1 - Do I have to include their details in my visa application. ( knowing, we are separated)
2 - Are they (wife and kid) now considered as my dependents ?
3- Do I have to submit/attach any document to prove to the visa officer that we are separated.

These questions are really killing me. Just donno what to do.

Any help would really add life to my life!

Hi Live2Learn,

You would have to add your son to your application as a dependant who is not migrating. He will still need to undergo a medical examination. This is nothing more than an examination by the doctor and listening to the heart/lungs etc.

As for your ex(wife) she will also need to be in included in your application and you will need to write a statutory declaration which states the name of your wife, date of marriage, and date of separation and if the separation is permanent you also need to state your intent to divorce or are in the process of this. I am not sure if your wife will be required to undergo a medical.

Your son is considered your dependant but I think your wife is just your spouse.

As for the documentation, a stat dec is all you need. This a document that has specific wording to legalise it and is signed by someone official. Most commonly a solicitor.

I hope this helps! Chin up, it is not impossible. But you may want to warn your wife about the medical for your son at some point. As I understand it, if you have parental responsibility for him (name is on the birth cert) you can compel her to let him have the medical.

Anything else you need feel free to ask!

Last edited by Janna and Nick; Mar 19th 2008 at 7:00 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:11 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife is not migrating with you I don't believe she will be included in your visa application.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice

Thanks Janna and Nick,

Really appreciate your kind reply. Actually its my daughter who is just one and a half years old.

I can include my daughter's detail in my visa application. But I just don't wanna include any details about my wife as we are now separated. For which I am willing to write any declaration.

I don't want to even tell my ex about my immigration as she can create problems for me.

I just want my process of go smoothly. I have 4 questions Janna and Nick.

* Do you feel that medical is still required for my daughter who is an infant (just one and a half years old and in mother custody)
* Do I have to approach any legal office and all they've to do is put a legal stamp on the declaration.. is it?
* Do I also have to include such minor details as why we got separated and when etc?
* Also, Do you think it is ok if I simply choose the separated checkmark on the visa application and then attach the legal declaration along with the visa application?

Thanks in advance Janna and Nick! Now Just have these 4 questions

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Hi Live2Learn,

You would have to add your son to your application as a dependant who is not migrating. He will still need to undergo a medical examination. This is nothing more than an examination by the doctor and listening to the heart/lungs etc.

As for your ex(wife) she will also need to be in included in your application and you will need to write a statutory declaration which states the name of your wife, date of marriage, and date of separation and if the separation is permanent you also need to state your intent to divorce or are in the process of this. I am not sure if your wife will be required to undergo a medical.

Your son is considered your dependant but I think your wife is just your spouse.

As for the documentation, a stat dec is all you need. This a document that has specific wording to legalise it and is signed by someone official. Most commonly a solicitor.

I hope this helps! Chin up, it is not impossible. But you may want to warn your wife about the medical for your son at some point. As I understand it, if you have parental responsibility for him (name is on the birth cert) you can compel her to let him have the medical.

Anything else you need feel free to ask!

Last edited by live2learn; Mar 19th 2008 at 8:51 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Janna and Nick,

Really appreciate your kind reply. Actually its my daughter who is just one and a half years old.

I can include my daughter's detail in my visa application. But I just don't wanna include any details about my wife as we are now separated. For which I am willing to write any declaration.

I don't want to even tell my ex about my immigration as she can create problems for me.

* Do you feel that medical is still required for my daughter who is an infant (just one and a half years old and in mother custody)
* Do I have to approach any legal office and all they've to do is put a legal stamp on the declaration.. is it?
* Do I also have to include such minor details as why we got separated and when etc?
* Also, Do you think it is ok if I simply choose the separated checkmark on the visa application and then attach the legal declaration along with the visa application?

Don't know were I got son from! Apologies.... I must be away with the fairies!

I am 100% sure that you will need to have a medical for your daughter. There are other threads on here were people are immigrating without all their children (previous relationships etc) and are having to get uncooperative ex's to agree to a medical. It's nothing major just a check up by the doctor.

A justice of the peace will apparently sign your Stat Dec for free (I do not have first hand experience of this but understand that someone else has). It will need to be more or less like this doc, but just personalized to you.

As for your wife, you will have to include her details because you are still married to her. Technically she is still your wife and in theory you could actually still get back together and continue being a "happily married couple".

The statutory declaration is like giving testimony in court so giving false info would be committing perjury.

There is nothing that asks for the reason of separation. So just her name, date of marriage, date of separation and that it's permanent and you intend getting a divorce. The Australian Government want to make sure that they are not going to suddenly end up with another permanent resident they hadn't bargained on.

I don't think there is a way around this for you! Sorry!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Stat Dec.doc (48.0 KB, 107 views)
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Janna and Nick,

You will have to tell her because your daughter will need a medical as a non-migrating dependent.
Don't you feel it is a little unfair on your daughter if you decide to disappear from her life without saying that you are emigrating?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS
If your wife is not migrating with you I don't believe she will be included in your visa application.
Hi WS

You still have to put your spouse's details on the app and say that they are not immigrating with you because you are seperated and the date of marriage, date of seperation and whether it is permanent and a divorce will be obtained etc.

They are still legally your spouse until divorce.

Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:16 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Thats quite different - you include her details on the form somewhere but she is not 'included' in the application as she is not migrating (she will not get a visa).
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS
Thats quite different - you include her details on the form somewhere but she is not 'included' in the application as she is not migrating (she will not get a visa).
I wondered if that was what you meant after I'd replied. We're aware that she wouldn't get a visa but the OP doesn't even want to include her name on the app form. But he's not going to get arround it!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

CarolineW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't you feel it is a little unfair on your daughter if you decide to disappear from her life without saying that you are emigrating?

And the child support agency maybe..
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Janna,

So I've got 2 things to do.

First, I will have to get my daughter's medical check up and get the report which will include general condition about the heart beat, lungs etc...

Second, get my declaration prepared and signed by the authorities.

I have no intension of being with my wife again at all, but I surely miss my daughter so much. But this is life and I've to learn to live with it.

So I guess the above two things will get the job done.

And since we are separated, there is no need to attach the marriage contract just the declaration (stating that we are separated) will do the job... right?

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Don't know were I got son from! Apologies.... I must be away with the fairies!

I am 100% sure that you will need to have a medical for your daughter. There are other threads on here were people are immigrating without all their children (previous relationships etc) and are having to get uncooperative ex's to agree to a medical. It's nothing major just a check up by the doctor.

A justice of the peace will apparently sign your Stat Dec for free (I do not have first hand experience of this but understand that someone else has). It will need to be more or less like this doc, but just personalized to you.

As for your wife, you will have to include her details because you are still married to her. Technically she is still your wife and in theory you could actually still get back together and continue being a "happily married couple".

The statutory declaration is like giving testimony in court so giving false info would be committing perjury.

There is nothing that asks for the reason of separation. So just her name, date of marriage, date of separation and that it's permanent and you intend getting a divorce. The Australian Government want to make sure that they are not going to suddenly end up with another permanent resident they hadn't bargained on.

I don't think there is a way around this for you! Sorry!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

So the medical will be just a General check up... right? Nothing more and nothing complicated.

And of course I would love to tell my daughter about it but she is just an infant, just 1.5 years old. I wish I could tell her the whole thing. It is indeed painful but I've controlled my emotions.

Ok tell me, is there any law that says, only mother can have the child custody till the child reaches the mature age. That what my ex told me.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You will have to tell her because your daughter will need a medical as a non-migrating dependent.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest very strongly that you get some advice from a lawyer well versed in family law for advice on that!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:52 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Also, be aware that the medical HAS to be done by a panel doctor - specified by the Aussie department of immigration - it can't just be your local doctor.

Do a search on www.immi.gov.au for 'Panel Doctors UK' and find the closest (or cheapest) one to you.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Ok tell me, is there any law that says, only mother can have the child custody till the child reaches the mature age. That what my ex told me.
No, there is no UK law that states that, my stepson lives with me and his father for example. It is usually the situation that courts in a custody case hand down the judgement on the side of the mother however.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.