Why Perth and Brisbane?

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all
Default Why Perth and Brisbane?

G' day all,

Can anyone please explain why both Perth and Brisbane appear to be such popular destinations for Brits? Is there some kind of selling drive happening in the UK by the Oz migration department. I can understand that Oz would try and discourage migrants from settling in NSW (and Sydney surrounds). But from my 7 years here I must state that I feel Sydney/Sydney suburbs (and NSW) are the best destinations, and will be give you a better chance of settling. I say this as I meet a lot of English here and most seem content with NSW.

Also when migrating you have to be aware that Australia is indeed a very large and diverse country so living in Perth or Brisbane can be a tad isolated.

Thought I would post a few Aussie web sites for pending migrants to look at. Hope they help.

www.realestate.com.au

www.ljhooker.com.au

www.seek.com.au

www.mycareer.com.au

www.carpoint.com.au

www.tradingpost.com.au

This is a great country for motorcycles so check out this site

http://bikepoint.ninemsn.com.au/Home/HomePage.asp
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 12:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Perth and Brisbane?

One of my reasons for wanting to be in Australia (besides marrying an Aussie) is the fact that it IS so large and diverse. However I don't feel that Brissie is at all isolated. Isolated from what? Its a thriving city, with a variety of different types of country around it. I'm very content and have no desire at all to move to Sydney, which - although it does have a historical side, and a lovely harbour - struck me as being just another metropolis. The bustle of Sydney reminded me of Brighton (where I cam from ) and even more of London. People in a hurry, rushing, not quite as much time to be friendly, I came here to escape that side of life, thats why I'm happy with Brissie.

We are all different, what suits one migrant won't suit the next, but what reasons to you have for thinking that British migrants would be happier in Sydney?
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Totatally agree with you in regard with what suites one does not suite another. However I have spent time in Brisbane and for me career oportunities is high on my agenda. Unfortunatly Brisbane does not offer much career wise. Great place but think I will wait until I am looking to retire or put out to pasture before I consider it a an option.

Originally posted by Pollyana
One of my reasons for wanting to be in Australia (besides marrying an Aussie) is the fact that it IS so large and diverse. However I don't feel that Brissie is at all isolated. Isolated from what? Its a thriving city, with a variety of different types of country around it. I'm very content and have no desire at all to move to Sydney, which - although it does have a historical side, and a lovely harbour - struck me as being just another metropolis. The bustle of Sydney reminded me of Brighton (where I cam from ) and even more of London. People in a hurry, rushing, not quite as much time to be friendly, I came here to escape that side of life, thats why I'm happy with Brissie.

We are all different, what suits one migrant won't suit the next, but what reasons to you have for thinking that British migrants would be happier in Sydney?
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:44 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ahappychappy
G' day all,

Can anyone please explain why both Perth and Brisbane appear to be such popular destinations for Brits? Is there some kind of selling drive happening in the UK by the Oz migration department. I can understand that Oz would try and discourage migrants from settling in NSW (and Sydney surrounds). But from my 7 years here I must state that I feel Sydney/Sydney suburbs (and NSW) are the best destinations, and will be give you a better chance of settling. I say this as I meet a lot of English here and most seem content with NSW.

Also when migrating you have to be aware that Australia is indeed a very large and diverse country so living in Perth or Brisbane can be a tad isolated.

Thought I would post a few Aussie web sites for pending migrants to look at. Hope they help.

www.realestate.com.au

www.ljhooker.com.au

www.seek.com.au

www.mycareer.com.au

www.carpoint.com.au

www.tradingpost.com.au

This is a great country for motorcycles so check out this site

http://bikepoint.ninemsn.com.au/Home/HomePage.asp

We love Sydney and it would be our first choice but we want to live near the sea and have no mortgage. You have to weigh it up don't you. If the main reason to do it is quality of life. For some people the reasons will be different. Perth seems like an excellent second choice to us with a small family. The time we spent in Sydney was great but we didn't have a family then.

One thing we don't want to do is move to Aus and have a big mortgage - we want a more relaxed lifestyle and yes there are parts of NSW that are not as expensive - but then they are either too far out of the city or not near the sea. At least we can live near the sea and the city in Perth at a lower cost.

It's just my opinion - and we have been ridiculed by some distant Aussie rellies in Perth who can't understand why we are obsessed with living near the sea 'all pommies want to move to the coast' were the exact words but if thats part of the lifestyle you want for yourself who's to argue. I think we are all different and have to make different choices in life and I'm sure Australia doesn't want us all to descend on NSW!!!

Max
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

G' Day Pollyana,

I was not particulary stating migrants would be happier in Sydney. More just a case that I have noticed that quite a few migrants come to Australia with false expectations regarding employment in their choosen careers. I realise that BRIS and PERTH have many good things to offer, but employment opportunities can be a bit limited as many migrants are only looking for employment in their field. Therefore if a migrant has not fully explored this or are not willing to take on what is available the DREAM may soon fade. That is why I believe for a career driven migrants MEL and SYD may be a safer bet. Re the isolation I ws just trying to point out the size of this old land and that when one wants to travel to other states it is a fair distance. I love and appreciate this countires great diversity and it always astounds me as soon as I get out of the suburbs

Good to hear you are enjoying Brisbane as many do.

Regards.

Originally posted by Pollyana

Last edited by ahappychappy; Dec 4th 2003 at 12:14 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

G' Day Pollyana,

I was not particulary stating migrants would be happier in Sydney. More just a case that I have noticed that quite a few migrants come to Australia with false expectations regarding employment in their choosen careers. I realise that BRIS and PERTH have many good things to offer, but employment opportunities can be a bit limited as many migrants are only looking for employment in their field. Therefore there if a migrant has not fully explored this or are not willing to take on what is available the DREAM may soon fade. That is why I believe for a career driven migrants MEL and SYD may be a safer bet. Re the isolation I ws just trying to point out the size of this old land and that when one wants to travel to other states it is a fair distance. I love and appreciate this countires great diversity and it always astounds me as soon as I get out of the suburbs

Good to hear you are enjoying Brisbane as many do.

Regards.
I guess it all depends on your chosen employment, but I feel your generally correct. I have applied to immigrate and my chosen Destination is Brisbane. However in doing so I have albut thrown any hope of continuing my current profession.

The main reason I am going to Brisbane though is thats where my other half is from and she has recently moved back home due to a family illness and has also just applied for a 3 yr uni course.

Australia as a whole is not the stronghold for my profession (Digital Electronics for a silicon chip comp), but Melbourne is the place I should be going if thats what I wanted. The thing is, this is obviously a life style change for most, and it is an opportunity to do something new too. I am not doing this for the money, if I was I would be staying put or moving to the US, I am looking for quality of life and a completely new experience and adventure. I am also studying to sidetrack into the networking arena which does give me better opportunities....though again Melbourne and Sydney is best again.

I have also decided to move to Australia before I get my full visa, on a 1 yr travel visa and my company have offered me a 1yr sabatical which means I cant work during this time anyway. While I am fortunate enough to be able to afford this, it gives me time to access what is best and what my opportunities are. The g/f is open to relocating so, Brisbane might be my initial base, but who knows where I will end up.

Put it this way, I go to Oz for a month at xmas's, and last year I spent it in Mooloolabar with Jo and her friends and had the best ever time, it cant be a bad thing to start off in a place you like, with the many friends I have made.

Roll on 3 weeks time, I cant wait....let alone its been 4 months since I saw my other half!!!! I wont be looking forward to coming home again!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

G' day Cornish,

Sound as though you have a healthy approach to your pending move.

Out of interest what visa class are you applying under?

Regards.

Originally posted by CornishPasty
I guess it all depends on your chosen employment, but I feel your generally correct. I have applied to immigrate and my chosen Destination is Brisbane. However in doing so I have albut thrown any hope of continuing my current profession.

The main reason I am going to Brisbane though is thats where my other half is from and she has recently moved back home due to a family illness and has also just applied for a 3 yr uni course.

Australia as a whole is not the stronghold for my profession (Digital Electronics for a silicon chip comp), but Melbourne is the place I should be going if thats what I wanted. The thing is, this is obviously a life style change for most, and it is an opportunity to do something new too. I am not doing this for the money, if I was I would be staying put or moving to the US, I am looking for quality of life and a completely new experience and adventure. I am also studying to sidetrack into the networking arena which does give me better opportunities....though again Melbourne and Sydney is best again.

I have also decided to move to Australia before I get my full visa, on a 1 yr travel visa and my company have offered me a 1yr sabatical which means I cant work during this time anyway. While I am fortunate enough to be able to afford this, it gives me time to access what is best and what my opportunities are. The g/f is open to relocating so, Brisbane might be my initial base, but who knows where I will end up.

Put it this way, I go to Oz for a month at xmas's, and last year I spent it in Mooloolabar with Jo and her friends and had the best ever time, it cant be a bad thing to start off in a place you like, with the many friends I have made.

Roll on 3 weeks time, I cant wait....let alone its been 4 months since I saw my other half!!!! I wont be looking forward to coming home again!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Just pm'd you!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

G' day Cornish,

Sound as though you have a healthy approach to your pending move.

Out of interest what visa class are you applying under?

Regards.
Thanks Happy Chappy!

Like many people I am sure, when you have decided on something, then you mind is set and you get that I want it now feeling and all of a sudden everything else you have had, maybe for many years, becomes less interesting. Its easy to look at this as a classic 'the grass is greener on the other side' but of course, you have to be sensible and really sit down and think, right, 2 weeks after I am there....what then?!

I have applied under Skilled Independant under 2125-13 skills (Electronics) using an agency. I originally planned de facto but unfortunatley my Australian g/f had to move home because her mum is ill about 2 months short of our 12 months....didnt we wish we moved in together earlier! So, instead of half the costs and 3x as quick, I have to go it alone. To some extent I prefer it that way, and anyway, if your under 31 whats stopping people from using a 1yr travel visa, like I will do in May. I have plenty of fishing and surfing to do before I settle anyway! :-)