Why doesn't Oz want me??

Old May 12th 2008, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

helpmeescape is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why doesn't Oz want me??

I am looking to emigrate with my bloke to Oz. As we are over 30 we cannot do the 12 month working visa, which would be ideal for us. Basically, we want to go over to 'try it out' - what is the best option for us? this is our set-up: we are 35 & 34, I have a law degree and for the past 7 yrs have worked self-employed as a law cost draftsman (preparing legal bills for solicitors to be assessed by the Court in default of agreement) for am classed as having my own business. I earn about £40K a year but am not sure if they have law cost draftsman in Oz. My bloke is a luthier (musical instrument repairer) and has worked for one employer for the past 10 years and has a diploma for this trade. His job is listed on the skills list for Oz on the assessment form, under 'tradesman, other'. I filled out the assessment form and got rejected as my job is not listed. I thought with a law degree and being 2 people with professional qualifications we would be in, but no luck. Ideally we want to go over for 6 months to see how it works out and, if it works, we will sell our house here which would give us enough for a substantial deposit on a house in Oz. We have no idea which bit of Oz would suit us as present. Sorry for the long post but I am confused!
Old May 12th 2008, 4:39 pm
ARGH! TRA Pathway D!

Joosy has a spectacular aura aboutJoosy has a spectacular aura aboutJoosy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why doesn't Oz want me??

How about saving up and just having a holiday? You could have a look round at houses/house prices, maybe make a few appointments with employers/make contacts etc?

I'm not very up on all the different types of visas etc, so sorry I can't offer more suggestions!!! Good luck!
Old May 12th 2008, 4:53 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helpmeescape
I filled out the assessment form and got rejected as my job is not listed.
Which assessment form? An online one for one of the no-visa-no-fee "Migrants R Us" agents?

My advice would be to have a chat with one of the migration agents recommended on this forum (a search will find you the key ones!). Several will talk you through the options at no cost, to help you find the visa that'd suit you best.

Cheers
b
Old May 12th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeescape
I am looking to emigrate with my bloke to Oz. As we are over 30 we cannot do the 12 month working visa, which would be ideal for us. Basically, we want to go over to 'try it out' - what is the best option for us? this is our set-up: we are 35 & 34, I have a law degree and for the past 7 yrs have worked self-employed as a law cost draftsman (preparing legal bills for solicitors to be assessed by the Court in default of agreement) for am classed as having my own business. I earn about £40K a year but am not sure if they have law cost draftsman in Oz. My bloke is a luthier (musical instrument repairer) and has worked for one employer for the past 10 years and has a diploma for this trade. His job is listed on the skills list for Oz on the assessment form, under 'tradesman, other'. I filled out the assessment form and got rejected as my job is not listed. I thought with a law degree and being 2 people with professional qualifications we would be in, but no luck. Ideally we want to go over for 6 months to see how it works out and, if it works, we will sell our house here which would give us enough for a substantial deposit on a house in Oz. We have no idea which bit of Oz would suit us as present. Sorry for the long post but I am confused!
Not a question of why they don't want certain people, they can pick and choose to a large extent. Would say you need to speak to an agent who can advise you on what options to look at. Also why not pop out on holiday to get an idea of where you'd like to live, rather than I just want to go to Aus but don't know where . Worked for us
Good luck