British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Why do employers offer subclass 457 visas rather than permanent residency? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/why-do-employers-offer-subclass-457-visas-rather-than-permanent-residency-522340/)

Dawn-D Mar 18th 2008 1:17 am

Re: Why do employers offer subclass 457 visas rather than permanent residency?

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 6078924)
You have the right attitude Dawn - best of luck. :thumbup:

Thanks Seasider :D

Pollyana Mar 18th 2008 3:31 am

Ok, I'm going to throw this one in as a bit of devil's advocate. Does anyone feel that employers prefer to use the 457 sponsorship because -----
it gets workers to Aus quicker, into jobs that Australians wont take, in the hope that by the time the migrants find out why the Aussies won't take them the migrants have expended so much effort getting to their "promised land" that they will stay anyway. By the end of the sponsorship period they already have enough potential employees in the next batch to replace those that say "on your bike" and walk away, and so the cycle repeats itself.

(this is a purely personal comment btw, no particular employers in mind)

Dawn-D Mar 18th 2008 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6079587)
Ok, I'm going to throw this one in as a bit of devil's advocate. Does anyone feel that employers prefer to use the 457 sponsorship because -----
it gets workers to Aus quicker, into jobs that Australians wont take, in the hope that by the time the migrants find out why the Aussies won't take them the migrants have expended so much effort getting to their "promised land" that they will stay anyway. By the end of the sponsorship period they already have enough potential employees in the next batch to replace those that say "on your bike" and walk away, and so the cycle repeats itself.

(this is a purely personal comment btw, no particular employers in mind)

:ohmy: Gosh Pollyana, didn't think of that possibility, next batch an all, you could be right :eek:

However

still won't stop me trying to get a sponsor :thumbsup: I like a challenge :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pollyana Mar 18th 2008 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Dawn-D (Post 6079777)
:ohmy: Gosh Pollyana, didn't think of that possibility, next batch an all, you could be right :eek:

However

still won't stop me trying to get a sponsor :thumbsup: I like a challenge :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You're certainly giving it all a good go Dawn, best of luck to you :)

Dawn-D Mar 18th 2008 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6079876)
You're certainly giving it all a good go Dawn, best of luck to you :)

Thanks Pollyana. ;)

I hope someone else comes along to reply on your post though, I for one will be interested in others opinions on it too. :D

ponyrama Mar 18th 2008 8:04 am

I fall into the desperate category and so will be considering all options including 457. However, having researched the routes I could take I will be pressing any prospective employer willing to sponsor me to support a PR application straight away. Technically you are tied to them for two years (you can walk into another job and sponsor at any time on a 457) and so whilst it may take a few weeks longer to process, they should get more bang for their buck? It is definitely a more attractive option I feel and whilst I might have to settle for living in a regional area for 2 years, at least I know after that time I can please myself whereas on a 457 you might never get out of the loop and end up having to return to the UK. I shudder at the thought.

If an employer wants to employ you enough they will consider the PR option, and in my case I have to work 3 months notice here anyway so extra processing time shouldnt be an issue. Just need to find a job now! :-)

nigerboy Mar 29th 2008 2:11 am

I quite agree with Jayr and Alan.

I came into Australia about 18 months ago on a 457. However - with due respect to my previous employer - the job wasn't what I expected. Until I decided to apply for other jobs, I never 'fully' understood the implication of 457 visas (28 days etc).

Anyway, I was lucky for find another job (in fact was offered 3 jobs within six months!). However, the decision to work for my current employer was borne out of the fact that they were willing to sponsor me for ENS straightwaway - all fees paid!

Having said that, I had a pretty bad experience with my ex-employer. Despite giving a long notice, they decided to terminate my employment while my visa was still been processed. To my surprise, this turned out to be a 'blessing in disguise', as my current employer contacted DIAC and the ENS was fast-tracked and approved within two weeks!

Based on my experience my candid advise is, don't come into Australia on 457 if you have a choice, especially if you have a family, children etc.

AHamm Mar 29th 2008 4:50 am

I believe employers prefer to sponsor workers on the 457 because it provides a kind of safety net for them. For example:

- The minimum salary is quite low and in many jobs (admin, for example - usually covered by ubiquitous ASCO 3292-11) they will get someone for less than they would have to pay someone from the local labour market.
- They know that the person will be so grateful for being sponsored, they'll work really hard to justify their position.
- The worker really has no bargaining position when it comes to pay reviews or working conditions.
- If there's any problem with the worker they can simply terminate the sponsorship, no questions asked.
- I believe that many 457 holders aren't aware of sponsorship undertakings so sponsors may get away with not having to repatriate employees who wish to return to their home countries

I have serious issues with the 457 visa. It's heavily biased in the sponsor's favour and I would love to see changes made so that the visa holder gets a better deal and more security.

winedonju Mar 29th 2008 5:17 am

Oh my god, your all managing to scare the sh1t out of me!!!:eek:
We are going for the 457, have got our agent talking to 3 possible employers at the mo.
We where also led to believe.....by our agent, that the 457 is the only route. You have managed to confuse me (which doesn't take much:rofl:) because I'm not sure what the difference is between the 457 and ENS. We would LOVE to be 'PR' as there is me, oh, 3 x kids and 1 x dog!! OH is Glazier with over 20 years exp, but no formal quals, hence why other visa's are not available (or so we thought), so basically I guess what I'm asking is.....can we go out on a different visa with PR????????????

AND does anyone happen to know the winning lottery numbers for tonight:thumbsup:

Thanks very muchly.
Donna.

AHamm Mar 29th 2008 5:42 am

Originally Posted by winedonju (Post 6128318)
Oh my god, your all managing to scare the sh1t out of me!!!:eek:
We are going for the 457, have got our agent talking to 3 possible employers at the mo.
We where also led to believe.....by our agent, that the 457 is the only route. You have managed to confuse me (which doesn't take much:rofl:) because I'm not sure what the difference is between the 457 and ENS. We would LOVE to be 'PR' as there is me, oh, 3 x kids and 1 x dog!! OH is Glazier with over 20 years exp, but no formal quals, hence why other visa's are not available (or so we thought), so basically I guess what I'm asking is.....can we go out on a different visa with PR????????????

AND does anyone happen to know the winning lottery numbers for tonight:thumbsup:

Thanks very muchly.
Donna.

For my part, I didn't mean to scare anyone, sorry! But if you're planning on going on a 457 then it's important that you're aware of both the pros and the cons.

I would certainly do research before plumping for the 457. If you know for a fact that you wish to stay long term then see if you qualify for PR under one of the General Skilled Migration (GSM) categories.

ENS is the Employer Nomination Scheme. It means you're nominated (not sponsored) by an employer for a particular position but gives PR, unlike the 457. There are three ways you can qualify for ENS so you might want to look at that as an option if there's a company who may be willing to nominate you.

If you haven't already, look at the DIAC website (www.immi.gov.au) and read the relevant DIAC Booklets thoroughly. Perhaps get your options assessed thoroughly too, with the focus on PR.

That said, if you're already going through an agent, maybe he/she has already assessed you and come to the conclusion that you don't qualify for PR at the moment. One of the ways to qualify for ENS is to work for two years in Australia, with 12 months with your sponsoring employer (as well as other criteria), so maybe that's something for you to investigate once you're there.

winedonju Mar 29th 2008 6:01 am

Originally Posted by AHamm (Post 6128423)
For my part, I didn't mean to scare anyone, sorry! But if you're planning on going on a 457 then it's important that you're aware of both the pros and the cons.

I would certainly do research before plumping for the 457. If you know for a fact that you wish to stay long term then see if you qualify for PR under one of the General Skilled Migration (GSM) categories.

ENS is the Employer Nomination Scheme. It means you're nominated (not sponsored) by an employer for a particular position but gives PR, unlike the 457. There are three ways you can qualify for ENS so you might want to look at that as an option if there's a company who may be willing to nominate you.

If you haven't already, look at the DIAC website (www.immi.gov.au) and read the relevant DIAC Booklets thoroughly. Perhaps get your options assessed thoroughly too, with the focus on PR.

That said, if you're already going through an agent, maybe he/she has already assessed you and come to the conclusion that you don't qualify for PR at the moment. One of the ways to qualify for ENS is to work for two years in Australia, with 12 months with your sponsoring employer (as well as other criteria), so maybe that's something for you to investigate once you're there.

Thanks for the link. Will have a look. I think we can't qualify for any pr visa yet as our agents say we haven't got what's needed to get OH's skilled assessed by the tra.......does this sound about right??????? Ie no time served as an apprentice or formal qualifications.
Cheers,
Donna.
PS any joy on the lottery numbers!!!lol

AHamm Mar 29th 2008 6:10 am

If that's what your agent has said then it's probably right. Still, never hurts to get a second opionion. You could always approach one of the agents who post here through their websites.

Can't help with the lottery numbers I'm afraid, but hope you win :)

winedonju Mar 29th 2008 6:15 am

Originally Posted by AHamm (Post 6128522)
If that's what your agent has said then it's probably right. Still, never hurts to get a second opionion. You could always approach one of the agents who post here through their websites.

Can't help with the lottery numbers I'm afraid, but hope you win :)

Cheers.....so do I (lol)
Am just reading through the link you gave, got to get the grey matter working, all sounds very technical. But here's hoping.
thanks again,
Donna.

AHamm Mar 29th 2008 6:29 am

You're welcome and good luck with whichever option you go with :)

Kooky. Mar 29th 2008 10:34 am

That's what we all need to remember - everyone's situation is different, they or the employer may have very good reasons for going a certain route, and it's up to the individual to learn everything there is to learn about the pros and cons and make the decision that best suits them.

Slight tangent but related - I read all these threads where people say "don't use an agent, waste of money" and I get cross. Personally, our case is straight forward but we're using an agent purely because the company is paying. However, if it were complicated I wouldn't hesitate to pay an expert. It's an investment in your future, why risk messing it up?

Best of luck, Donna.