Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Who's done the student visa and then became a citizen?

Who's done the student visa and then became a citizen?

Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

mandm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who's done the student visa and then became a citizen?

We are applying for a student visa, and my husband is looking at the air conditioning and refridgeration course.
We are wondering what the chances are of staying after he is qualified and becoming citizens?
Does anyone have any idea on our chances of staying? and how we'd go about it?
We are going to go for it anyway and if we have to come back to England after 2 years then thats a chance we are going to take.

Thank you
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's done the student visa and then became a citizen?

We are going on a student visa, and although there seem to be a few people on here out there on student visas, I have never seen anyone on here say that is how they got their perminant residence.
Hopefully someone will answer.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandm
We are applying for a student visa, and my husband is looking at the air conditioning and refridgeration course.
We are wondering what the chances are of staying after he is qualified and becoming citizens?
Does anyone have any idea on our chances of staying? and how we'd go about it?
We are going to go for it anyway and if we have to come back to England after 2 years then thats a chance we are going to take.
You need permanent residence before you can even think about citizenship. By all means "take the chance" but only if you are happy to come back to England with nothing.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need permanent residence before you can even think about citizenship. By all means "take the chance" but only if you are happy to come back to England with nothing.
Do you put a downer on everyone or just me?
Yes I am happy to come back to England with nothing!! I will have my family with me and thats all that matters to me!

thank you!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:16 am
Just Joined

nelly06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandm
Do you put a downer on everyone or just me?
Yes I am happy to come back to England with nothing!! I will have my family with me and thats all that matters to me!

thank you!

We're hopefully going out on a student visa - its our only way to get there!! The way I see it, is that its better to go and give it a your best and if you get to stay - then brilliant! If not you come home to family after spending two great years in a beautiful country!
Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question soon!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

As Jaj says, you will need to finish your course, apply for and be granted permanent residence and then fulfill the requirements of that before you can apply for citizenship.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Michang is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there is plenty of opportunity to gain a PR status after completing studies in Australia. I'm not sure about citizenship, but having a PR status is good enough I guess since that will open all government support channels for you.

When going on a student visa you need to be aware that all costs are your own. We are working on getting a student visa but first we are building a strategy. I will do a Masters degree but I'm first checking that the Master degree I'm going to do in Oz is recognised properly and enables me to get an assessment done preferably in a MODL occupation. As an extra safetynet for migration purposes (but not purely for that reason) my wife will be doing a hairdressing course at the same time. We are ensuring that we will both enroll in courses which last for 2 years (as recognised by CRICOS) since that will enable you to get a Graduate Visa to remain in Oz for another 18 months to gain more points plus it provides 5 points. We are also contemplating studying outside the main cities as that provides another 5 bonus points.

As a student you need pay full fare for your children to go to school and get no child support from the government. My friends migrated last year (they obtained PR directly) and received childsupport, subsidy for renting a house and some other benefits which you will not get when you are a student.

Another interesting thing is that if you pay the costs of your studies up front you may be able to deduct the costs of your taxes. At least this is how it works in The Netherlands, which will cut your study costs considerably.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michang
I think there is plenty of opportunity to gain a PR status after completing studies in Australia. I'm not sure about citizenship, but having a PR status is good enough I guess since that will open all government support channels for you.

When going on a student visa you need to be aware that all costs are your own. We are working on getting a student visa but first we are building a strategy. I will do a Masters degree but I'm first checking that the Master degree I'm going to do in Oz is recognised properly and enables me to get an assessment done preferably in a MODL occupation. As an extra safetynet for migration purposes (but not purely for that reason) my wife will be doing a hairdressing course at the same time. We are ensuring that we will both enroll in courses which last for 2 years (as recognised by CRICOS) since that will enable you to get a Graduate Visa to remain in Oz for another 18 months to gain more points plus it provides 5 points. We are also contemplating studying outside the main cities as that provides another 5 bonus points.

As a student you need pay full fare for your children to go to school and get no child support from the government. My friends migrated last year (they obtained PR directly) and received childsupport, subsidy for renting a house and some other benefits which you will not get when you are a student.

Another interesting thing is that if you pay the costs of your studies up front you may be able to deduct the costs of your taxes. At least this is how it works in The Netherlands, which will cut your study costs considerably.
thanks thats very helpful, we are planning on paying for studies upfront so thats worth looking into. We have family to stay with and my kids are still young so not at school yet but the oldest will start next year, do you know roughly how much the school fees are?
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

School fees are between 8000 and 10000 AUD per year for non residents, it is AUD 2000 for PR's.

Daycare (creche) for the kids below the age of 4 or 5 is also not cheap if you do not have a PR.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

School fees are between 8000 and 10000 AUD per year for non residents, it is AUD 2000 for PR's.

Daycare (creche) for the kids below the age of 4 or 5 is also not cheap if you do not have a PR.
My children go to public school and it costs us nowhere near $2000 for them. We are PR in WA. My son is in year 6 and daughter in year 8.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

May be there are different rates for different schools. My friends have their 5 year old child in a private school in Caloundra (Queensland) which costs them about AUD 2000 per year. They enquired for us and it would cost us AUD 10,000 per year to put my daughter in the same school just because we will be going on a student visa. They checked out other schools for us and they vary between AUD 8000 and 10000 per year.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

May be there are different rates for different schools. My friends have their 5 year old child in a private school in Caloundra (Queensland) which costs them about AUD 2000 per year. They enquired for us and it would cost us AUD 10,000 per year to put my daughter in the same school just because we will be going on a student visa. They checked out other schools for us and they vary between AUD 8000 and 10000 per year.

There's a big difference between public and private school fees. You don't have to go private, even if you are on a temporary visa.

Some states charge more for temporary visa holders kids to go to public school, and others don't so it's worth checking out how much it costs in each state.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

what are the cost of going to public school? does any one know?
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:29 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

I will do a Masters degree but I'm first checking that the Master degree I'm going to do in Oz is recognised properly and enables me to get an assessment done preferably in a MODL occupation.
You're right in saying you'll need to do some checks about your master's degree and your MODL eligibility. From today (1/9/2007), the rules have changed w.r.t. MODL eligibility for recent Australian graduates.

Cheers
Peter
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Muncles will become famous soon enoughMuncles will become famous soon enough

In relation to the question posed above, what visa options are there for someone doing a 52 week Postgraduate Diploma in Education of staying on after?

I'd be hoping to get employment regionally as this seems like the best option for getting sponsorship.

There are a lot of "ifs" and "buts" and I am happy to return to the UK if things don't pan out. What I'm trying to do at this stage is determine what routes I can go down when I finish the Dip.Ed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.