Where in Victoria

Old Mar 14th 2002, 9:36 pm
Jdcfc

Default Where in Victoria

I am Immigrating from Scotland with my wife to Victoria . I work in
Telecommunications and Computing ,My wife is a hair dresser . I would love to live
near the sea in a town where my wife could work and I could commute to Melbourne, Or
another Major city in Victoria ,But where any help would be most helpful.

Old Mar 14th 2002, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

ANGLOBRUCE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in Victoria

There are several suburbs of Melbourne along the coast. All are in easy reach of Melbourne CBD. All are right on the beach and all very nice places - although St Kilda is very lively and generally full of backpackers!!

Port Melbourne
Middle Park
St Kilda
Elwood
Brighton
Sandringham

We live in Middle Park which is about 4kms out of Melbourne CBD, it's a very nice (and expensive) area with house prices rising 40 % in the last 12 months. Would highly reccomend it though.

As for other City's, there is Geelong which by some accounts is okay. It's commuting distance from Melbourne (about 1 hour or so) but there are roadworks at the moment (and for the forseeable future) which may slow you down.
Cant really pass comment on the place as I have only ever driven through it and had the occassional meeting there.

Hope this is of some use
Old Mar 14th 2002, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i noticed the post above mention geelong,
and although i have never lived there i have been there visiting a few times.
in fact we are going out there this sunday to have a good look round, as with melbourne districts i belive from reletives geelong also has good and not so good areas, so this is were we are aming to base ourselves when we finnaly get the ok.
apparently some areas to avoid are corio, and parts of lara,
though once again these are my relitives veiws and i will pass my own judgment when we arrive.
if you want my oppinions on geelong and surronding areas when i get back early may time feel free to mail me.
im hoping to have a good look at schools, houses and shopping facilities,
good luck on your search shaun and lor

[email protected]
Old Mar 15th 2002, 8:36 pm
Alan Collett

I live in a suburb of Geelong called Newtown. Nice areas (as well as ours ...!)
include Highton, Wandana Heights, Queens Park - and towards the coast at Torquay,
Barwon Heads, etc if you don't mind an extra 15 to 20 minutes on your journey to
Melbourne, which is about an hour from Geelong on a good day I reckon. I'd endorse
the comment about areas around the Shell refinery at Corio being not so good.

Re roadworks on the Princes Freeway - these are expected to be finished by the Spring
I believe (that's September ...), at which time the drive to Melbourne during the
rush hour should be a LOT easier. Rail journey to Spencer Street (at the Western end
of the CBD) is about 70 minutes from Geelong, expected to reduce to about 55 minutes
when (if?) new trains and the promised upgrade are delivered in a year or so.

If you want to know more please mail me directly - and I'll be happy to give you the
name of my hairdresser if your wife wants an intro: I know they've been looking for
more help!

Alan Collett alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com W www.gomatilda.com

"jdcfc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... I am Immigrating from Scotland
with my wife to Victoria . I work in Telecommunications and Computing ,My wife is a
hair dresser . I would love to live near the sea in a town where my wife could work
and I could commute to Melbourne, Or another Major city in Victoria ,But where any
help would be most helpful.