Where to Start

Old Jan 4th 2014, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

tweed2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to Start

Hi, my partner and I have been considering the move to Perth for some years now. However I wanted to complete midwifery training before we did. I am now due to qualify in 2015. My partner has worked in the steel industry for 13 years since leaving school, he is now 31 and I am 34, we have one daughter aged 7. To say we haven't looked into at all is not true, we have looked into quite a lot of things but feel all the info we have is quite conflicting however I suppose its what is best for each family unit.

My thinking is I don't want to sit for the next year doing nothing when we could be proactively be doing something to help the process. I have been to various expos for immigrating and have found good information. we have looked at the 189 visa however the minute I mention my partners job they all recommend sponsored visa and perhaps me getting a job once we are over there.

Sorry if the info I have provided is a bit vague, just don't know where to start. Any advice would be welcome, thanks
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to Start

Welcome to BE.

Where are you getting conflicting information from first of all? If you stick to www.immi.gov.au you will get the facts, it isn't always perfectly explained but generally is not conflicting either.

If you wanted to organise a 189 visa this year you could (if you qualify) and you have five years to make your permanent move. You would need to visit to validate the visa though, so if there are any restrictions over funds for a validation trip, then you would be better off waiting.

If you are waiting, there really isn't a great deal you can do in advance as occupations lists change. What does your OH actually do as something "in the steel industry" is not clear enough for get good advice.

Is his occupation on the SOL or CSOL? If it is on the SOL, then you may qualify for the 189 visa and I don't know why people would recommend sponsorship, this would not be the best thing for a young family to do in fact. It might be quick and convenient for employers but you are going to be on a temporary visa bound to an employer, the 189 is better for a family wanting a permanent move.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 10:09 am
Just Joined

tweed2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to Start

Hi, thanks for the reply, my partner is a welder/fabricator to trade. yes the 189 visa is what we had been considering and all advice was more or less saying to apply on my partners trade. I think with that visa it would be best for my family. I think the conflicting advice is from people in general not official sources. Also whether or not to use an agency or not is a thought, primarily it would be left to me but studying for my degree takes up a lot of time, is that something I could do on my own with the 189 visa?