Where to start?!

Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Dream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really nice
Default Where to start?!

Hello

I’m 29 with 2 small children and my husband is a very highly qualified IT professional, who is also registered on here. We have only just agreed to start moving to Australia and reading up on it etc. HOW MUCH INFORMATION IS THERE TO TAKE IN!?

Whenever we take any points tests, we get enough. I am a lecturer but only work part-time and I doubt I would qualify as a primary applicant so we are doing it as my husband’s application. I think that that means I am worth 5 points, is that right?

We are really confused as to how to go about starting the VISA process. At first we thought that DH would find an employer first BUT we own a house with some but not much equity and considering they need you to move quite quickly, we don’t feel that would be possible. No way we can sell our house in 2-4 months ... (employer sponsored visa timeline prediction).

Then there is the GSM visa, which we’d have to pay for ourselves and as we don’t have any cash (tied up in the house) that’s a big gamble ...
So at the moment we are trying to get our house on the market to see how much we can sell for and whether there is any interest. I am also going to call some Migrant Agents today (recommendations appreciated!). DH is writing covering letters and updating his CV.

How do you usually start your application? Take an IELTS test? Do native speakers have to take them too? Arrange a medical?

I also find it frightening how you have to give up everything here to only get a temporary visa ... we are hoping to stay permanently and to build up our lives there. We don’t expect a ride in the park and have generally low expectations to avoid disappointment.

Thanks D_C
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start?!

To get permanent residency (GSM 175 visa), the first port of call for an IT professional is to get assessed by the Australian Computer Association (ACS) to make sure your husband gets the maximum points (is it still 60? Somebody more knowledgeable on here will know ). Once you have the assessment (valid one year), you can send in the visa application and he can take the IELTS and stuff. If you get the required 120 points with just your husband's profession and age and stuff, I wouldn't bother getting yourself assessed unless you need the 5 points. It's costly and time consuming. ACS charged us at least $480 two years ago and they took 6 months to assess my husband. We had the required 120 points with just his stuff (125 with his IELTS result) so I didn't get assessed and the PR got granted in due time. He did have Australian work experience though, so that might make a difference in your case.

The application itself is pretty straightforward, just loads of documents to provide and forms to fill out, and of course money to fork out . I believe online applications are processed quicker than paper ones. You'll also need to provide a police check for every country you've lived in in the last 10 years (adults only) and go through medical exams (the whole family). Assuming these all come back clear and you have sufficient points, you get the PR.

It is of course a huge decision to make and you should definitely research it loads beforehand. And think very hard whether it's the right thing for you and your family. It was for us