Wikiposts

Where to start?

Old May 9th 2009, 11:49 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to start?

It's been a loooong time since I posted on BE. And even longer since I asked for immi help (seen as both DH and I are both now Aussie citizens!). But my sister and her husband are starting to look into the visa process. And it's such a long time since we went through it all, I just want to check that my memory is up to date about the process. My sister's family are planning to apply under my BIL's qualifications/experiences. He's identified that he'll be applying as an Automotive Electrician (4212-11).

Am I right in thinking that the first step is to have his skill assessed by the TRA? And that he needs to document all his relevant experience and prove his qualifications? And after that the next step is to go through the actual visa process (English language ability, age etc, etc)? Our confusion arises as my DH is sure that he saw something about the TRA not covering certain professions. But I think that only applies to particular occupations (and Automotive Electricians aren't one of them) in certain countries. So the TRA online form is the one that my sister and BIL need to look at?

Sorry for the very long post. I'd forgotten how confusing it can be when you first start looking into the visa process. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

GG
Old May 9th 2009, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

c_vaseer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to start?

Hello

Don't forget to consider the advantage of them applying under the SC 176 - Skilled Sponsored (Migrant) Visa. This has a reduced point requirement compared to the Independent Migrant Visa - SC 175.

You can sponsor your sister as you are a settled Australian citizen.

Regards

Christine Vaseer
Old May 9th 2009, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

c_vaseer is an unknown quantity at this point

Your BIL could also look at state sponsorship which would give him the reduced point advantage and priority processing aswell. Relative sponsorship won't give him priority processing. Last time I checked WA had automotive electrician on its Skilled Sponsoring occupation listing. Do check to confirm it is still on there though because the lists are updated regularly. You could also check other states.

He would still be applying under SC 176

Regards

Christine Vaseer
Old May 9th 2009, 4:16 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Hi George,

Whatever your BIL does, make sure that he applies for a State Govt. sponsored 176 and not a 175 as the latter are not being processed at the moment unless the occupation is on CSL.

Alternatively go employer sponsored.

Cheers,

Les
Old May 9th 2009, 8:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea hon, just wanted to say Hello How's you and Mr GG and more importantly that gorgeous bub? An update would be lovely (PM?) if your sister is planning on coming over, does that mean you guys may upsticks and come back?

Questions, questions and no answers for you. Sorry useless as ever
Old May 9th 2009, 9:50 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your resonses. Up until now, they have been thinking about a 175 visa. I didn't know that these weren't being processed at the moment. Do you have any more information/links on that, please? We applied under a 175 (years ago!), so I don't know much about the 176. They'd be looking to move to Sydney, and NSW doesn't seem to need much in the way of AEs, so not sure where that leaves them ... I don't think they'll be able to do the family sponsorship thing, as we're not currently living in Aus (although plans are afoot to move back, Penny! ). I guess we'll have to look some more into state sponsorship and employer sponsored if a 175 isn't an option.

I'd forgotten how confusing and frustrating the process is when you first start!

Penny - we're all good, thanks. Iris is going to be 1 in a couple of weeks. Not sure how that happened. She's a little cutie. But I might be biased. She's crawling and cruising, so very mobile and into everything. (She's currently enjoying pulling all the books off my bookcase shelves. Yay!) Patrick's job is going well over here. And I'm managing to fill my time with endless Mum & Baby groups. But we miss the old place. As we knew we would before we even left. Still very happy with the decision we made to come back (especially considering what happened with my Mum), but we knew before we left Aus that we'd end up moving back there at some point. Some point is coming, it just doesn't have a definite date yet. Hope you and yours are all well.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Penny - we're all good, thanks. Iris is going to be 1 in a couple of weeks. Not sure how that happened. She's a little cutie. But I might be biased. She's crawling and cruising, so very mobile and into everything. (She's currently enjoying pulling all the books off my bookcase shelves. Yay!) Patrick's job is going well over here. And I'm managing to fill my time with endless Mum & Baby groups. But we miss the old place. As we knew we would before we even left. Still very happy with the decision we made to come back (especially considering what happened with my Mum), but we knew before we left Aus that we'd end up moving back there at some point. Some point is coming, it just doesn't have a definite date yet. Hope you and yours are all well.
A year flaming nora! Now that's scary You'll be planning the next one then All good this end but it's getting chilly at night
Old May 13th 2009, 9:58 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
A year flaming nora! Now that's scary You'll be planning the next one then All good this end but it's getting chilly at night
I know! And no. Know what you mean about the weather. We're heading into summer. So naturally I'm living in thermal vests and cardigans.