When and What to tell your employer?

Old Aug 31st 2002, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, NZ (was Broadstairs, Kent, UK)
Pippa is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy When and What to tell your employer?

We will soon be ready to submit our NZ PR application, having medicals next week.

We havent told our employers anything yet but guess we should say something about our plans once the PR is sent to NZIS as we assume they are going to approach our current employers for comfirmation.

Naturally it would be terrible for them to get a letter from NZIS out of the blue and could possibly make things a bit uncomfortable for the remainder of your time at work(assuming you get approved).

But what if you tell them your intentions and then you get turned down for PR ? Its going to make things a bit awkward.

We would rather tell them what were doing when we hand our notice in but maybe this is the CHICKEN way out!

What has everyone else done about this?

Thanks everyone.

LOL

Pippa xx
Old Aug 31st 2002, 9:02 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When and What to tell your employer?

hi pippa,

we're heading for oz, WA

we are going to do the chicken way out and tell em when we hand notice in as you said.

i will probably give my employers perhaps a bit longer notice though, say 2 months instead of the usual 1.
my hubby will tell his, next april, because at the moment he is a sub contractor , so if he tell them then, he may be able to go 'on the books' for his last 3 months...but then they could say...on yer bike pal!!

i'm doing a degree at the moment and wont tell employers or uni because i'm worried about the funding and my place at uni being withdrawn. maybe it wouldnt but im not going to risk it....

it is hard though not being able to discuss our plans and a couple of times ive nearly slipped up!!
Old Aug 31st 2002, 11:57 pm
Jaj

It very much depends on your relationship with your employer. Many employers will
appreciate being told your long term plans, much more so than if they only find out a
month in advance.

In the UK, being told about a potential plan to emigrate is not grounds to sack
someone under employment law.

If you tell them your intentions and then get turned down, will it make things
awkward? Again, depends on your relationship with them. You could always tell your
line manager and HR manager about your plans and ask them to keep it confidential.
That ways there's less chance of all your colleagues finding out about it until it
does become official.

But it's a decision you have to take yourself.

Jeremy

>On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:30:30 +0000, Pippa <[email protected]> wrote:
    >We will soon be ready to submit our NZ PR application, having medicals next week.
    >We havent told our employers anything yet but guess we should say something about
    >our plans once the PR is sent to NZIS as we assume they are going to approach our
    >current employers for comfirmation.
    >Naturally it would be terrible for them to get a letter from NZIS out of the blue
    >and could possibly make things a bit uncomfortable for the remainder of your time at
    >work(assuming you get approved).
    >But what if you tell them your intentions and then you get turned down for PR ? Its
    >going to make things a bit awkward.
    >We would rather tell them what were doing when we hand our notice in but maybe this
    >is the CHICKEN way out!
    >What has everyone else done about this?
    >Thanks everyone.
    >LOL
    >Pippa xx
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 1st 2002, 7:24 am
les
Forum Regular

les is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Its a situation all of us face at some time.
Once we had sent the forms in Ifelt that I could tell my boss that i would ultimately be leaving I'm an electrician who was working on the books. my other half didn't tell her employer until we had been accepted but in general the response was good to both ways with a lot of comments like "I wish I'd done that when I was your age". Or "I can't blame you" but nothing negative.
So do what you feel is right for your own situation and if you loose your job get another one!
Old Sep 1st 2002, 7:43 am
James West

Hi Pippa

We are about to start our application process for migration to OZ so we are at least
a year away from being able to make the move! I have spent some time talking to my
boss about this intended move, and becase it is such a long way off the the respnose
was really positive! The length of time taken taling was due to fascination over our
decision, and genuine interest over why, how what where when etc... (Spent 4 hours on
Friday explaining it all, and I kinda got the impression that most of the office want
to leave for various pastures new). I think that because they know now, when it comes
to requests for employer references etc.. it will be a lot easier! Also I believe
honesty is always the best policy.

At the last company I worked for a colleague announced his intention for an imminent
departure to the U.S. My boss spent 4 weeks lloking for a replacement only to be told
by my colleague that he wasn't ready to go yet as visas were taking too long. 1.5
years later he made it out there! This was NOT a good way to go about things!

I think the way you should go about things is very personal and very dependant on
your own circumstances!

My "Official" semi tongue in cheek response was "If we give you a bad reference does
that mean you wouldn't get in and have to stay here?"

Good luck and best wishes

Regards

Jim & Vikki

[email protected]

"Pippa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We will soon be ready to submit our NZ PR application, having medicals next week.
    > We havent told our employers anything yet but guess we should say something about
    > our plans once the PR is sent to NZIS as we assume they are going to approach our
    > current employers for comfirmation.
    > Naturally it would be terrible for them to get a letter from NZIS out of the blue
    > and could possibly make things a bit uncomfortable for the remainder of your time
    > at work(assuming you get approved).
    > But what if you tell them your intentions and then you get turned down for PR ? Its
    > going to make things a bit awkward.
    > We would rather tell them what were doing when we hand our notice in but maybe this
    > is the CHICKEN way out!
    > What has everyone else done about this?
    > Thanks everyone.
    > LOL
    > Pippa xx
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 1st 2002, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by James West:
Hi Pippa

We are about to start our application process for migration to OZ so we are at least
a year away from being able to make the move! I have spent some time talking to my
boss about this intended move, and becase it is such a long way off the the respnose
was really positive! The length of time taken taling was due to fascination over our
decision, and genuine interest over why, how what where when etc... (Spent 4 hours on
Friday explaining it all, and I kinda got the impression that most of the office want
to leave for various pastures new). I think that because they know now, when it comes
to requests for employer references etc.. it will be a lot easier! Also I believe
honesty is always the best policy.

At the last company I worked for a colleague announced his intention for an imminent
departure to the U.S. My boss spent 4 weeks lloking for a replacement only to be told
by my colleague that he wasn't ready to go yet as visas were taking too long. 1.5
years later he made it out there! This was NOT a good way to go about things!

I think the way you should go about things is very personal and very dependant on
your own circumstances!

My "Official" semi tongue in cheek response was "If we give you a bad reference does
that mean you wouldn't get in and have to stay here?"

Good luck and best wishes

Regards

Jim & Vikki

[email protected]

"Pippa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We will soon be ready to submit our NZ PR application, having medicals next week.
    > We havent told our employers anything yet but guess we should say something about
    > our plans once the PR is sent to NZIS as we assume they are going to approach our
    > current employers for comfirmation.
    > Naturally it would be terrible for them to get a letter from NZIS out of the blue
    > and could possibly make things a bit uncomfortable for the remainder of your time
    > at work(assuming you get approved).
    > But what if you tell them your intentions and then you get turned down for PR ? Its
    > going to make things a bit awkward.
    > We would rather tell them what were doing when we hand our notice in but maybe this
    > is the CHICKEN way out!
    > What has everyone else done about this?
    > Thanks everyone.
    > LOL
    > Pippa xx
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Hi Pippa
Paul told his boss from word go of our plans. For one he had worked for him as a subcontracter for the last 10 years so we had to use him for references when we applied to the TRA for his skills check. Hes been ok and this weekend he is taking us all out for a meal , to say thanks for all of pauls hard work over the last 10 years .
Good luck Joanne and paul
Old Sep 1st 2002, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Diane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pippa:
Hi Pippa
My husband also told his empolyer at the beginning as he needed his TRA references. I told mine once we've been accepted and I'm unofficially giving them about 6 months notice. My boss has aksed me not to tell the rest of the office till we advertise next month. It will be such a relief to be able to talk about it freely. It's stressful keeping it to yourself when you spend so much time at work.

All the best
Diane
Old Sep 1st 2002, 8:10 pm
Steve Williams

I think I'd agree with the fact that it depends on your employer. I personally, will
probably phone my boss from NZ. Or send him a post card or something.