When can you apply for electrical licence

Old Mar 19th 2005, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

wallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant future
Smile When can you apply for electrical licence

Im applying as an electrician and i know i have to obtain my licence and do some regs exams etc. does anybody know if once you have been granted your visa can you go to aus for a holiday get passport stamped (i persume that this validates your visa and permanent residency starts from that day?) apply for your licence, do regs exams etc. so that i dont need to commit financially (or leave my current job) until everything is in order and it is just a case of finding a job, as i am coming over with wife and two kids and need an imediate income so i dont waste our savings, i believe that you can get a job if you are supervised but the low income may be a problem, also as im applying under an sir visa im not able to do any other job other than electrical work
any help or info is much appreciated.
cheers
Old Mar 19th 2005, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

aussieant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When can you apply for electrical licence

I dont want to give you false hope, but getting the visa is a walk in the park compared to getting a licence. What licence are you going for.
Have you got a tra classification yet?.
You will need to prove to the TRA that you are within the job criteria regarding the licence you are applying for.
If a Grade A licence is what ou are after then you must have been in an electrical installation trade her in the UK for at least seven years.
they will ultimately decide whether they feel you have got enough experience to grant you a licence. even if you get an ARTC (australian recognised trade certificate) then you will need to sit a practical exam and also a theory test on Aussie wiring regs. if you let me know a few more details then i can tell you what i have found out.

Tony
Old Mar 19th 2005, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

wallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant future
Talking Re: When can you apply for electrical licence

Thanks for the reply!! i will be applying for a queensland license and the highest i can go for, i havent been assessed yet because i have been umming and arrrrring a bit too long. im employed by water authority as an electrician and have completed a proper apprenticeship with them (i.e. logbooks, skill specs college, external training assesors etc.) and we cover everything electrical. when i first finnished my time we did loads of install work as well as maintanence, instrument calibrations and breakdowns!! the last few years we have stopped doing install work due to thinning out of staff, I have no doubt at all about my install ability but would be just a bit rusty and take a bit longer than somebody that does it all day everyday and nothing else.
although i am unsure if this would qualify as a grade A licence my job is not exclusively installation work but a bit of everything.
but could i apply for these licences and do exams while on holiday after succsessfully being granted my visa and not residing in australia full time, i.e. popping over as and when required
any info is greatly appreciated
cheers
Old Mar 20th 2005, 8:35 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

7 years exp!!!!!!

My hubby will have six months exp, can he gain work with an electrical firm once he's done his Oz exams?
Old Mar 20th 2005, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

cant say for definate what the requirements are in queensland but from what i understand about WA is that to get any form of licence, you will will need to submit all your details to the state licensing office and get a ARTC (australian recognised trade certificate). As for "The highest Licence possible" that you referd to in your post, its more of a case of what you intend to do. The scenario is, if you want to do certain work, then you must have a licence to do it. One licence dont do all !!!.The prob here is that you have a catch 22 situation. You need this to get work out there but you cant get the cert unless you are a permanent resident, and by that i mean you must be living over there. They require permanent address details. You then need to re-submit all your qualification details to the TRA (again) as normally the first step to emigration is getting a trade classification. I have been classified General Electrician(although my experience is mostly automation and control systems). Basically if you have already been down this road, then the TRA will already know your personal details when you submit all the other details they require. this will fast track your Licence application a little. However you will need to contact all your last employers and get a company headed paper stating all the work you did and what tools etc practices you got up to.
There are various types of licence, an A grade is specifically for installation and "House Bashing". But there are restricted licences for people like gas fitters who might just want to disconnect there mates elctric oven and replace it with a gas one.This is to hopefully ensure that although the gas man knows his gas stuff, he can work safely with some menial electrical stuff.
For instance i would need a restricted licence or an Electrical Fitters Licence to work on automated machinery, but i wouldnt be able to connect it up to the mains as i dont have the A grade licence to permit me to do it. Basically if your trade crosses Installation/Elec maintenance like mine, you need to get ALL the relevant licences to cover you......I know its all a load of bollocks but thats the way it is.Baring in mind also that each licence must be paid for annually and can be a few hundred dollars or so. You need to decide what licence you need to apply for. if you are more electrical installations then you must make sure you have the practical proof that this is what you have been doing for the last few years or so. Once you feel you have the relevant documents and proof then you need to apply for an ARTC . If you get lucky then this needs to go before the energy safety commision along with all your docs etc and they will cast their eyes over it and give you a decision. However you will certainly need to sit a practical exam and a regs exam.

for info on ARTC visit this site www.workplace.gov.au and click on the link
"Trades Recognition Australia"

hope this is of help

good luck

Tony
Old Mar 20th 2005, 11:17 am

Thanks Tony

Last edited by bridiej; Mar 20th 2005 at 11:47 am.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi you say you need to have a permanent address to apply for licences we have friends living out there could we give there address? or could a rented P.O.Box do? or perhaps move out there and then go back to work in england while waiting? what is the actual proof of you living there, i.e. how do they determine you live there, nothing to stop you living in a country then going on holiday to another country and working there ?
sorry if these questions sound stupid , just cant see the point in having to live there with no or very low income because they say you cant do any other work and you cant work as an electrician until you have a licence but to get a license you have to wait approx 6 months!
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:23 pm

I would have thought they can check whether you are resident or not by checking your visa via immigration...
Old Mar 20th 2005, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all....i am due to ring the TRA in the morning and will get back to you regarding the rules on applying outside the UK. The aussies do at sometimes have very strict requirements as you may have come across yourself.
From what i have been told and researched, you need to be a permanent resident living in Aus. As far as proceeding after you succesfully get granted an ARTC , you will need to take an exam either practical, theoretical or both.
You will not be granted a Licence unless you go through this stage. The main emphasis is on the Australian & New Zealand wiring rules ..
To check the aussie wiring rules out and buy a copy visit.

www.wiringrules.com
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:22 am

Hi aussieant

I'd certainly be interested in the info as yesterday I was told that you just need to fill in a form for Colin Field then once it's back you can book your course and exam.

Malc will only have approx 6 months exp, hoping this will be enough...
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:51 am
GCH
Forum Regular

GCH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridiej
Hi aussieant

I'd certainly be interested in the info as yesterday I was told that you just need to fill in a form for Colin Field then once it's back you can book your course and exam.

Malc will only have approx 6 months exp, hoping this will be enough...

i have been waiting since jan for a licence (perth) and have to do a trade test just to get my ARTC so then i can apply for the licence and they will ask me to do a short multiple choice regs test.

you can work as a trade assistant in the mean time with money around the $ 20 p/h mark temping through an agency.

the way the checked me to see if i was in the country was they asked me to get certified copies of my documents done in australia so they knew the docs were in the country with you, you can get around that i suppose.

my test is on the 2nd may, wish me luck, who knows what happens if you fail it !!

Greg
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:09 am

Thanks Greg for that info, will put our minds at rest.

Good luck!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:04 am
GCH
Forum Regular

GCH is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Greg for that info, will put our minds at rest.

Good luck!
are you coming as a sparkie ? have you seen the application form to see what city and guilds certs you need to make it quicker and easier.

i can find the link for you if you need.

Greg
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:48 am

Hi Greg

No, visa applied for under Metal Machinist 1st Class, as that's Malc's current job but he's been at night class for nearly 2 years doing C&G BS7671 electrical installation, and he's done his 16th edition regs.

Would appreciate any info you can point us in the direction of, thanks!: )
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Greg

No, visa applied for under Metal Machinist 1st Class, as that's Malc's current job but he's been at night class for nearly 2 years doing C&G BS7671 electrical installation, and he's done his 16th edition regs.

Would appreciate any info you can point us in the direction of, thanks!: )
Hiya there,
this might help you with what is required for an A grade licence in W.A.There should be a link address attached - i'm a bit inexperienced at this sort of thing - along with quite a few others.
http://www.energysafety.wa.gov.au/en...lectrical.html
Lilstewie (aka Mr. Gobbyjock).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.