When can I apply for visa?

Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Scottie2hottie is a jewel in the roughScottie2hottie is a jewel in the roughScottie2hottie is a jewel in the roughScottie2hottie is a jewel in the rough
Question When can I apply for visa?

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can help. I am going to Oz on a student visa. My course starts on the 20th March, however I must be there for orientation on the 17th March. Apparently I cannot apply until 4 months before my course starts. I am applying online, and my confirmation of enrolment from the uni I am attending just has the Uni start date of 20/03/06. My question is can I apply tomorrow 17/11 for my visa and for it to go through the process or will it get kicked out and I lose my fees?
Also does anyone have any experience of how long it takes to be granted the student visa? I know that the official word is 5-10 working days, but has anyone got any experience of it happening sooner??

Many thanks in advance!
Louise
Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:17 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Smile Re: When can I apply for visa?

Originally Posted by Scottie2hottie
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can help. I am going to Oz on a student visa. My course starts on the 20th March, however I must be there for orientation on the 17th March. Apparently I cannot apply until 4 months before my course starts. I am applying online, and my confirmation of enrolment from the uni I am attending just has the Uni start date of 20/03/06. My question is can I apply tomorrow 17/11 for my visa and for it to go through the process or will it get kicked out and I lose my fees?
Also does anyone have any experience of how long it takes to be granted the student visa? I know that the official word is 5-10 working days, but has anyone got any experience of it happening sooner??

Many thanks in advance!
Louise
I always thought it was five months before..(? don't quote me on this though)..I applied mid September and my course starts on 13th February and I had no comeback.

I don't have visa yet as hubby was cat B on medical so takes a while longer, but a friend of a friend got hers in 4 weeks and that was a straightforward application.

Since the changes to student visas on the 1st November 2005 they say they process them in 3 weeks or less if you are applying online.

http://www.australia.org.uk/VTI/HTML/stu.html
Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:32 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Default Re: When can I apply for visa?

Hi,

Many thanks in advance!
Louise
Just found it!! If you are applying online you must apply no more than 4 months (124 days) before commencement of your course.

http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/studen...o_offshore.htm
Old Nov 16th 2005, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Scottie2hottie is a jewel in the roughScottie2hottie is a jewel in the roughScottie2hottie is a jewel in the roughScottie2hottie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: When can I apply for visa?

Originally Posted by Welshie
Just found it!! If you are applying online you must apply no more than 4 months (124 days) before commencement of your course.

http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/studen...o_offshore.htm

Doh! Only just saw this. Please ignore the PM that I sent to you! Thanks ever so much for your help! Do you know if its standard procedure to have medicals for a student visa? I was under the impression that we did not need them.... I hope we don't because our flights are booked for the 29/12!!!! Oh dear!
Where are you going to be studying?
Lou
Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:10 pm
Love Tiffany's

Smile Re: When can I apply for visa?

Doh! Only just saw this. Please ignore the PM that I sent to you! Thanks ever so much for your help! Do you know if its standard procedure to have medicals for a student visa? I was under the impression that we did not need them.... I hope we don't because our flights are booked for the 29/12!!!! Oh dear!
Where are you going to be studying?
Lou
DOH!! Just replied to your PM too!!

I had to have meds and x-rays because I'm doing a three year degree course. For shorter term courses it's not necessary appaently. I will be training to become a nurse so needed the HIV and Hep tests too! Because the whole process changed recently I'm really not 100% about things now, but it will tell ya on the immigration website though.