When to apply?

Old May 15th 2008, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Lavmondo is on a distinguished road
Default When to apply?

Myself want to migrate to Australia, however I have just started a new job in the UK and want to get about 3 years experience in this role before moving out. I feel the skills gained during this time will put me in a better position for getting a job when we move. However I am 29 next year and know that if I apply now I will have more chance of being granted entry as I will get the extra 5 points for being under 30. Is it possible to apply before my 30th and defer entry for a few years? Or do you have to enter within the first 12 months? I have heard that you must enter within the first 12 months and then leave again but must live in Australia for at least 2 of the next 5 years is this a way round it?

Any advise appriciated

Old May 15th 2008, 9:49 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When to apply?

Originally Posted by Lavmondo
Myself want to migrate to Australia, however I have just started a new job in the UK and want to get about 3 years experience in this role before moving out. I feel the skills gained during this time will put me in a better position for getting a job when we move. However I am 29 next year and know that if I apply now I will have more chance of being granted entry as I will get the extra 5 points for being under 30. Is it possible to apply before my 30th and defer entry for a few years? Or do you have to enter within the first 12 months? I have heard that you must enter within the first 12 months and then leave again but must live in Australia for at least 2 of the next 5 years is this a way round it?

Any advise appriciated

Personally i would wait until you have the experience you need, since thats what you feel you need to do. Do you have the required trade that is in the list? its just you have not stated what you do for a living. Also would u really need the extra 5 points? (of applying before your 30.)
Im not sure if you could keep your application running for 3 years, (i could be wrong). Once your Visa has been granted you have to validate it with the timescales given, but you can return to the UK or what ever country you live.
As you have stated you must live in Australia 2 years out of the 5 given on the visa.