whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Old Mar 28th 2014, 2:56 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 26
Dazeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Hi, whats the max age for a skilled visa to Australia

I think the visa we need is a 189

Im 41 and a self employed mechanic with 10 years experience but no qualifications. and breaks in the work within the last three years.

My misses is a hair stylist with 20 years experience in the same salon and full qualifications and that is on the list for Queensland.

As we have lived together for over 12 months only one of us needs to get the visa and the other can go with.

She has got a better chance to get the visa than me due to her qualifications and documented experience for the last 20 years

But she is 44 and turning 45 this april 2014 :-(

Last edited by Dazeo; Mar 28th 2014 at 3:06 pm.
Dazeo is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2014, 3:16 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,358
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Originally Posted by Dazeo View Post
Hi, whats the max age for a skilled visa to Australia

I think the visa we need is a 189

Im 41 and a self employed mechanic with 10 years experience but no qualifications. and breaks in the work within the last three years.

My misses is a hair stylist with 20 years experience in the same salon and full qualifications and that is on the list for Queensland.

As we have lived together for over 12 months only one of us needs to get the visa and the other can go with.

She has got a better chance to get the visa than me due to her qualifications and documented experience for the last 20 years

But she is 44 and turning 45 this april 2014 :-(
The maximum age to apply for a 189 is not yet turned 50. To be able to apply, you would need an occupation on the SOL and to be able to pass the points test, skills assessment in the nominated occupation and English ability. Mechanics are on the SOL, assessed by TRA. Hairdresser is on the CSOL only so not eligible for 189 visa but would be eligible for 190 if you can find a state sponsor, 489 if you can find regional sponsor or 186 if you can find employer sponsor.

Info on 189 here - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx including a points test
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2014, 3:32 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 26
Dazeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Cheers.

We went to "The Emigration Group, Chester" and paid £140 in total.

They showed us all the options, i got 55 points but ya need 60 points

i could not get the other 5 points because i could not prove my work experience for the last 3 years.

My misses got 55 points but did not get any for her age because she is 45 next month.
if it had been a year ago she would of got 10 for her age.
which would of taken it to 65 points and got in.

they said the limit age is 45 ???

I just read on a website called bob in oz it has changed to age 50 or under and on the IMMI website it says age 50 also for visa 189 . Im sure its visa 189 i will check later.

They told us Hairdressing is on the list but for Queensland only. nowhere else.

Mechanic is pretty much everywhere in oz.

after going through all the points and different ways of getting them our last option was for her to be the main applicant but she got no points for age.

Is there a age 45 limit on any other visas ???
Dazeo is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2014, 4:50 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 26
Dazeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Update. Yes it is a Visa 189 that they offered us (Skilled Independant for permanent residency)

We was also offer Visa 489 (Designated Area)

I must of misread it. Age 50 must me the limit you can apply and you dont get any points after age 45. ???

Our only other option is a Visa 457 - (Employer Sponsorship) we just need to find an employer in Australia that wants to sponsor a 41 year old Mechanic or 45 year old hair stylist

Last edited by Dazeo; Mar 28th 2014 at 4:52 pm.
Dazeo is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2014, 10:56 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Originally Posted by Dazeo View Post
Update. Yes it is a Visa 189 that they offered us (Skilled Independant for permanent residency)

We was also offer Visa 489 (Designated Area)

I must of misread it. Age 50 must me the limit you can apply and you dont get any points after age 45. ???

Our only other option is a Visa 457 - (Employer Sponsorship) we just need to find an employer in Australia that wants to sponsor a 41 year old Mechanic or 45 year old hair stylist
The age limit for the skilled migrant visas (which includes the 189, 190 and 489) is 50, however to all intents and purposes it is 45 because there are very few people that can pass the points test after 45. I expect that is the confusion, although I am a bit troubled by a migration agent that took GBP140 of you and did not explain this accurately It used to be 45, I hope they are not just out of date..

I do think that you are probably the better candidate for a skilled migrant visa, could you post up your points breakdown and we can see if you might have missed anything.
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:06 pm
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,358
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Originally Posted by Dazeo View Post
Cheers.

We went to "The Emigration Group, Chester" and paid £140 in total.

They showed us all the options, i got 55 points but ya need 60 points

i could not get the other 5 points because i could not prove my work experience for the last 3 years.

My misses got 55 points but did not get any for her age because she is 45 next month.
if it had been a year ago she would of got 10 for her age.
which would of taken it to 65 points and got in.

they said the limit age is 45 ???

I just read on a website called bob in oz it has changed to age 50 or under and on the IMMI website it says age 50 also for visa 189 . Im sure its visa 189 i will check later.

They told us Hairdressing is on the list but for Queensland only. nowhere else.

Mechanic is pretty much everywhere in oz.

after going through all the points and different ways of getting them our last option was for her to be the main applicant but she got no points for age.

Is there a age 45 limit on any other visas ???
Originally Posted by Dazeo View Post
Update. Yes it is a Visa 189 that they offered us (Skilled Independant for permanent residency)

We was also offer Visa 489 (Designated Area)

I must of misread it. Age 50 must me the limit you can apply and you dont get any points after age 45. ???

Our only other option is a Visa 457 - (Employer Sponsorship) we just need to find an employer in Australia that wants to sponsor a 41 year old Mechanic or 45 year old hair stylist
The age limit is 50 for most visas but there are a couple of exceptions.

You partner cannot get 189 - she may be able to get 190 if skill is on QLD's list as you say but I would check the points

Age - there are 15 points awarded 40 - 44, and 0 at 45+

Quals - 10 points for Diploma / trade qual . 15 for degree

Overseas Experience - 5 points for 3 years, 10 points for 5 years, 15 points for 8years or more

English - if you take IELTS 10 points for all 7's, 20 points for all 8's

State sponsorship - 5 points / Regional sponsorship 10 points

It's all on the Skill Select site
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:14 pm
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,603
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
The age limit for the skilled migrant visas (which includes the 189, 190 and 489) is 50, however to all intents and purposes it is 45 because there are very few people that can pass the points test after 45. I expect that is the confusion, although I am a bit troubled by a migration agent that took GBP140 of you and did not explain this accurately It used to be 45, I hope they are not just out of date..

I do think that you are probably the better candidate for a skilled migrant visa, could you post up your points breakdown and we can see if you might have missed anything.
Not if he hasn't passed his trade test.
paulry is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:44 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Not if he hasn't passed his trade test.
Well obviously he would have to jump through the necessary hoops like everyone else..
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:58 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
TeeTMI's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 466
TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Originally Posted by Dazeo View Post
Hi, whats the max age for a skilled visa to Australia

I think the visa we need is a 189

Im 41 and a self employed mechanic with 10 years experience but no qualifications. and breaks in the work within the last three years.

My misses is a hair stylist with 20 years experience in the same salon and full qualifications and that is on the list for Queensland.

As we have lived together for over 12 months only one of us needs to get the visa and the other can go with.

She has got a better chance to get the visa than me due to her qualifications and documented experience for the last 20 years

But she is 44 and turning 45 this april 2014 :-(
Originally Posted by Dazeo View Post
Cheers.

We went to "The Emigration Group, Chester" and paid £140 in total.

They showed us all the options, i got 55 points but ya need 60 points

i could not get the other 5 points because i could not prove my work experience for the last 3 years.

My misses got 55 points but did not get any for her age because she is 45 next month.
if it had been a year ago she would of got 10 for her age.
which would of taken it to 65 points and got in.

they said the limit age is 45 ???

I just read on a website called bob in oz it has changed to age 50 or under and on the IMMI website it says age 50 also for visa 189 . Im sure its visa 189 i will check later.

They told us Hairdressing is on the list but for Queensland only. nowhere else.

Mechanic is pretty much everywhere in oz.

after going through all the points and different ways of getting them our last option was for her to be the main applicant but she got no points for age.

Is there a age 45 limit on any other visas ???
The age limit (with few exceptions) for the skilled independent visas is 50. Hopefully your migration agent was referring to your partner not obtaining sufficient points once she reaches 45.
If not and they did tell you the age limit was 45 you should check if they are MARA registered as this is considerably out of date.

The hairdresser (@ QLD) is a temporary visa initially the 489 . There are a couple of 190 options (no 189 options for this occupation) but not in QLD.

There may also be other options if your partner was at a manager level - but also needs the 60+ points.

The time period over which you would need to show work experience in relation to points covers the previous 10 years and you get a different number of points for the amount of years.
TeeTMI is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:39 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 26
Dazeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Thank you for your help everyone.
All that info is very good to us and I am going to talk to my partner later.
I will get the points breakdown together and post it on here.

I will get back to you all later.
Dazeo is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:41 am
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 26
Dazeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Also, Can anyone recommend a decent Migration Agent in the UK that wont try to rip us off and is honest
Dazeo is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:45 am
  #12  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,358
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Originally Posted by Dazeo View Post
Also, Can anyone recommend a decent Migration Agent in the UK that wont try to rip us off and is honest
Alan Collett has a UK office and is a member who is often recommended. With Skype and email though, it's possible to have an agent from anywhere now though.
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:22 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 26
Dazeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

here is my points breakdown:

age: 15 points
IELTS: 20 ponits
Qualifications: 10 Points
Work Experience: 0 Ponits
Designated Area Sponsorship: 10 Points

Total: 55 Points.

Although i have over 10 years car mechanics experience and i have run my own car mechanics business for the last 10 years. The last 3 years have been a mess and with moving house twice, losing a workshop and finding a new one, there was a big break in work, and because I could not supply tax return evidence for the last 3 years solid then they would not accept it and dont get any points for work experience.

Now here are the points for my partner:

Age : 0 Points
IELTS: 20 Points
Qualifications: 10 Points
Work Experience : 15 Points
Partner Skills (me) : 0
Designated area sponsorship :10 Points

Total : 55 Points

At First they said that my partner could get 5 points for my skill, But then said thats work experience and the only evidence for self employed people is tax returns.

I dont know why they wont give us 5 points for my partner skills on my form . that would take me to 60 points

My partner it a hair stylist and salons manager for 20 years for the same 2 salons. for the same employer. so got all pay slips and evidence.
She has full qualification and even NVQ 4 . Management , qualified to Train students

So we just can not get to the 60 points :-(
Dazeo is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:29 pm
  #14  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,358
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Originally Posted by Dazeo View Post
here is my points breakdown:

age: 15 points
IELTS: 20 ponits
Qualifications: 10 Points
Work Experience: 0 Ponits
Designated Area Sponsorship: 10 Points

Total: 55 Points.

Although i have over 10 years car mechanics experience and i have run my own car mechanics business for the last 10 years. The last 3 years have been a mess and with moving house twice, losing a workshop and finding a new one, there was a big break in work, and because I could not supply tax return evidence for the last 3 years solid then they would not accept it and dont get any points for work experience.

Now here are the points for my partner:

Age : 0 Points
IELTS: 20 Points
Qualifications: 10 Points
Work Experience : 15 Points
Partner Skills (me) : 0
Designated area sponsorship :10 Points

Total : 55 Points

At First they said that my partner could get 5 points for my skill, But then said thats work experience and the only evidence for self employed people is tax returns.

I dont know why they wont give us 5 points for my partner skills on my form . that would take me to 60 points

My partner it a hair stylist and salons manager for 20 years for the same 2 salons. for the same employer. so got all pay slips and evidence.
She has full qualification and even NVQ 4 . Management , qualified to Train students

So we just can not get to the 60 points :-(
I would get advice from a MARA agent - I'm not sure you need recent work experience in your occupation - and you have 7 years in the last 10 which would be worth 10 points - and then you would only need state sponsorship
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:58 pm
  #15  
Prisoner of Her Majesty
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,797
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the maximum age for Visa 189

Originally Posted by Dazeo View Post
Also, Can anyone recommend a decent Migration Agent in the UK that wont try to rip us off and is honest
Your agent does not need to be UK based, most dealings are by email now. You already have one registered agent advising you on this thread.
Pollyana is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.