Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

what's involved in the medical for a PR visa

what's involved in the medical for a PR visa

Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:45 am
Just Joined

the jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the rough
Default what's involved in the medical for a PR visa

Hi everyone, my co has requested that I go for my meds now . What is involved in the medical and what do they test your blood and urine for? Any replys would be grateful.Thank you
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice
Default Re: what's involved in the medical for a PR visa

Originally Posted by the jackel
Hi everyone, my co has requested that I go for my meds now . What is involved in the medical and what do they test your blood and urine for? Any replys would be grateful.Thank you
Hi i have just completed mine so it is fresh in my brain

Height/Weight, BMI
Mental capacity (this is done by engaging you in conversation)
Hearing
Eyesight
Reflex
Blood pressure
Heart rate
Chest examination
Physical Joints
Hernia (groin area)
Bloods are for HIV (Hep b and c if you are a nurse or doctor)
Urine- Diabetes mainly.

Thats all i can remember at mo.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:11 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Here is something I wrote somewhere else that might give to an idea. OH is the Visa Applicant, I am the defacto spouse

Me: Aged over 40, so a standard examination plus a breast exam. He asked for my last smear, which fortunately was only last year & I had it with me. I worked in psychiatric nursing, so had the additional blood tests of Hep B & C. I also had ulcerative colitis years ago & have been well for the last 10 years, but he still sent for soemthing called an ESR, which is an additional blood test to check for colitis. Everything else was pretty normal - he followed the form that we had taken in & ticked all the boxes as he went along, he was very thorough. With the additional tests my bill came to 350 quid.

The girls: Ages 12 & 13, so fortunately no blood tests, although much amusement was gained from the pee tests. They were both pretty self-conscious, so he let them keep their t-shirts on over their bras & pants to cover their modesty & he didn't look at their "private" areas at all. He listened to their chests, looked in their ears & eyes, weighted & measured them & asked them to read some of the medical form out to him. Older daughter only finished her period yesterday so her pee test showed positive for blood - we have to take her up next week for a repeat test, which he will do for free. Costs for the girls was 165 quid each.

So, onto OH: He's over 40 too (only just) & as you all know, I was really worried about his weight. Doctor explained that OH has slightly high blood pressure, plus protein & blood showing in his urine. Obviously this now means further tests, which he has already sent off, for lipids, kidney & liver function. He will phone OH as soon as the results come back & if all is clear he will just process the forms & send everything off to Sydney. If not, then he will ring OH & we will decide what needs to be done next. Basically, no news is good news. Costs with the additional tests for OH was 440 quid.

Then it was off for the x-rays, which were dead simple. Fortunately we were all given gowns to wear whilst being done, so we weren't in the buff & the girls' modesty was preserved The costs of the x-rays were included in the fees above.

Best of luck
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Just a tip - make sure you drink plenty of water before your pee test - as they test for protein and if your a little dehydrated it can show up.

Plus the nurses tell you off for not drinking enough generally.....
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

the jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the replys , to cut a long story short , I have been to 2 stag weekends in Amsterdam in the last 5 weeks! Smoked something I shouldn't have and out the blue I have a co. Totaly p***ed off and scared as a friend says it's in you system for 4 months. Will the medical show this up. Any advice,guidance or lectures welcome.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

Have sent you a PM
Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:00 am
Just Joined

just posting my 3rd message so I can access my pm's as unable to do so unless I have 3 or more. Thanks everyone for taking the time
Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It could still be months before you are asked to have your meds. Don't smoke, sniff or inject anything you don't want found until after your meds from now on in.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Gtrotter will become famous soon enough

Everything you ever wanted to know about medicals can be found here. It is the panel doctors gateway.

http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/panel_doctors/
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the jackel
Hi everyone, my co has requested that I go for my meds now . What is involved in the medical and what do they test your blood and urine for?
It varies enormously. There are some "set" tests that have to be done, such as weight, height, blood tests, urine (they test for blood and protein). Have a look at Form 26 (it lists the "set" tests).

Beyond that, it's up to the doctor who does the test. In our case, OH's doctor only did the "set" tests. Then had a chat with OH about how great Australia is.

I had a different doctor who did a lot of poking and prodding, e.g. eyes, ears, reflexes,, breast exam. But even she didn't ask me about smear test results (unlike Jenni's doctor).

Last edited by ozhappy981; Jun 12th 2009 at 10:25 am.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Don't smoke, sniff or inject anything you don't want found until after your meds from now on in.
sorry...but that is so funny