Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

What the process for going for a spousal visa in oz

What the process for going for a spousal visa in oz

Old Dec 6th 2006, 1:16 am
Just Joined

martincs31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post What the process for going for a spousal visa in oz

Hi I am fairly new to this site but please keep up the good work. I am living in Australia at the moment on a Working holiday Visa. I am marrying my australian fiancee on the 23rd June 2007 and really I would like to know the process of getting the spousal visa.

I know I have to pay 2000 bucks as i am already in the country by the time I get married, but I would only have at least a month and a half left on the working holiday visa and I know i will need to start asap.

any tips would be great.

P.S Would it better to start applying sooner then say I am getting married in june or do it after the marrage
Old Dec 6th 2006, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

SydneySwede has a spectacular aura aboutSydneySwede has a spectacular aura aboutSydneySwede has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What the process for going for a spousal visa in oz

Originally Posted by martincs31
Hi I am fairly new to this site but please keep up the good work. I am living in Australia at the moment on a Working holiday Visa. I am marrying my australian fiancee on the 23rd June 2007 and really I would like to know the process of getting the spousal visa.

I know I have to pay 2000 bucks as i am already in the country by the time I get married, but I would only have at least a month and a half left on the working holiday visa and I know i will need to start asap.

any tips would be great.

P.S Would it better to start applying sooner then say I am getting married in june or do it after the marrage
Hi, We got a spouse visa in about 4 weeks (actual processing time, it took ages to get all the information required) but we got it to from London. To get a spouse visa you have to be able to prove that you and your spouse (or de-facto) have been living together for 12 months and then you will have to back this up with statutory declarations from friends and family. There are also medicals and police checks to be done. Have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm
I am not sure but I think you will be ok to get a bridging visa while you are in the process of applying. Good luck.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 1:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What the process for going for a spousal visa in oz

Originally Posted by SydneySwede
To get a spouse visa you have to be able to prove that you and your spouse (or de-facto) have been living together for 12 months
If legally married, there is NO "12 month rule".