what are my options?

Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

DAVE AND SHARON 08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what are my options?

hello, i am in the early stages of gettin my info together for applying for oz i am after some advice on what visa to apply for? i have a few options but dont know which one would be easiest. the mrs has agreed to give it a go out there on the agreement that if she doesnt get on we will come back. i am a electrician so was thinking of applying for the 457 visa and try to get a sponsor for a few years to see how she gets on, if she does get on can i apply for perminant resedency whilst on the 457 or would it be best to apply for it from the start? i know it takes a long time to apply for perm res from the start and didnt want to go trough it all if shes only goin to last a couple of years? i have a brother there so would it be quicker for him to sponsor me and would it cover the mrs and kids? i just want to give it a go and if we get on we dont want the hassle of coming back home. im going to the london expo next week so hopefully that will help me just wanted a bit of info before i go. sorry for the long thread
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:29 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are my options?

Hi Dave,

The 457 is the quickest visa to get (usually anywhere between a couple of weeks to a few months). However, you are restricted to working with the sponsoring employer and if you wish to quit/get fired/there's no work you lose the visa and have 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave Australia. There are also a few other issues - you have to have private health insurance, pay school fees for kids and more. See http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions

The 176 sponsored might be your best bet - your brother can likely sponsor you if he is a permanent resident and has lived there and is settled (house, job, kids in school etc). This takes longer (6 - 10 months for most UK applicants) and is more expensive ($2000 Aussie) but you can live and work anywhere and you are a permanent resident from the start. Before apllying for this visa you would need to pass a skill assessment as an electrician through www.vetassess.com.au which includes a practical test.

Have a look at the sparkies thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97 and they may be able to help you out more.

Good luck!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info tking thats very helpfull, im dreading the skills assesment side of things as i have heard its pretty tricky and cost about a 1000 pound to sit it. i just scrapped through my part 2 science exam at college and havnt studyed for years i can see this being the thing that holds me up as i cant afford to keep resitting as it cost so much. have u sat this test yourself?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAVE AND SHARON 08
Thanks for the info tking thats very helpfull, im dreading the skills assesment side of things as i have heard its pretty tricky and cost about a 1000 pound to sit it. i just scrapped through my part 2 science exam at college and havnt studyed for years i can see this being the thing that holds me up as i cant afford to keep resitting as it cost so much. have u sat this test yourself?
Unfortunately, Dave if you want to work as an electrician in Australia you will have to pass either the Vetassess before hand or do training and pass an exam here to get your license. The test is not tricky, it's meant to see what you do every day and ascertain that you are actually qualified as your nominated trade. Do a bit of studying of the old textbooks if you feel you will need it, but generally if you do the job every day you should be fine.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the reply dorothy, so is it more of a practical test rather than a theory test coz thats wat im not great on. can anyone who has sat the test give me an idea of wat to expect? also would it be easier to sit the vetasses here or do the test wen i get to oz? do companys sponsor u without the test so i could get there or would they not look at me without 1 of the tests under my belt? i just wanna get out there with my family i dont care what job i end up doing in the end. thanks for all your help like i said im in the early stages so this is all very welcome info
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

There's loads of info on the 'electricians' part of the site, people who have done it and people who are about to go through it. The assessment consists of theory and practical, but have a look at the threads and it may give you more of an idea of what's involved.

Good luck!

Mel