What does "usually resident" mean?

Old Apr 9th 2010, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Robynd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What does "usually resident" mean?

Hi there,

I am looking for some guidance on what "usually resident" means for the purposes of a 176 family sponsored visa.

There is nothing on the website to indicate that there is any minimum term, although the DIAC have indicated that there is normally a requirement that the sponsorer is "settled" - i.e. they have been there for 2 years at the time the visa application is lodged.

As always, things are more complicated than they seem.. and I am going around in circles, so any advice (or direction) would be great.

Many thanks
Robyn
Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does "usually resident" mean?

Originally Posted by Robynd
Hi there,

I am looking for some guidance on what "usually resident" means for the purposes of a 176 family sponsored visa.

There is nothing on the website to indicate that there is any minimum term, although the DIAC have indicated that there is normally a requirement that the sponsorer is "settled" - i.e. they have been there for 2 years at the time the visa application is lodged.

As always, things are more complicated than they seem.. and I am going around in circles, so any advice (or direction) would be great.

Many thanks
Robyn
Hi Robyn

There is no settled requirement for 176 sponsorship so the relative just has to be usually resident. This would be the case even from day 1 if the relative was living in Australia and intended to keep doing so. It would not be the case where the relative was in Australia on a 2 week validation trip. As long as the relative is living in Oz when the application is lodged, the Case Officer will see that the relative continued to be usually resident in Australia from then to the date that the CO is assessing the application.

Regards

Tony