Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

What is definition of usually resident for partner visa sponsor

What is definition of usually resident for partner visa sponsor

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 8:05 am
Just Joined

daniela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is definition of usually resident for partner visa sponsor

Hi - can anyone tell me what criteria are used to assess whether the sponsor of a partner visa is usually resident in Australia? My wife is a PR and my sponsor. However, we are living in the UK now and my wife has been living outside of Oz for the last few years (always intending to return). We want to make an offshore application here in London but we don't want to lose the money on a failed application. We have heard that the London Australian HC is quite relaxed about usually resident but they must have some criteria they judge the sponsor on.

As a side question, we have had good advice from a migration agent and we are thinking of using them (Go matilda). We know we could do the app ourselves but the price is good and we are hoping that the agency might better know how to phrase an application to maximise chance of success. Can anyone tell me whether this assumption is correct or whether we are simply going to pay money to someone to fill forms in for us that we could complete ourselves?!

Thanks
dan
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is definition of usually resident for partner visa sponsor

Personally, if yours is a straightforward case I would do it yourself. My partner and I applied by ourselves and our CO commended us on our application saying it was excellent so an agent isn't necessary at all. If you follow the guidelines in the partner application guide then I see no reason why you couldn't do it all yourself with no problems. It will just take time
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is definition of usually resident for partner visa sponsor

Originally Posted by daniela
Hi - can anyone tell me what criteria are used to assess whether the sponsor of a partner visa is usually resident in Australia? My wife is a PR and my sponsor. However, we are living in the UK now and my wife has been living outside of Oz for the last few years (always intending to return). We want to make an offshore application here in London but we don't want to lose the money on a failed application. We have heard that the London Australian HC is quite relaxed about usually resident but they must have some criteria they judge the sponsor on.
As far as the rules go, the "usual residence" question normally is based on where your permanent home is. It's a little more straightforward if there is previous residence in Australia as opposed to a person who has never lived in Australia but just holds a permanent visa.

But every case is different. If you want an agent familiar with the processing culture in London, you could go to Ian Harrop: http://www.ianharrop.co.uk

Needless to say, wife's visa must also be valid for her to return to Australia as a resident.

Why did your wife not take out Australian citizenship when living in Australia? You wouldn't have this problem if she had done that.