Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

What are the 1st steps for a teacher wanting to get Visa 457 in WA?

What are the 1st steps for a teacher wanting to get Visa 457 in WA?

Old May 5th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice
Default What are the 1st steps for a teacher wanting to get Visa 457 in WA?

Hi,

I am a secondary school teacher in the UK, with 8 years teaching experience, 4 years of private tutoring experience, and 3 years business experience. I am also a fully authorised Corporate Finance Adviser and Bookkeeper in the UK.

My PGCE subject is Economics and Business Studies. My 4 year degree subject is Business Studies. In the last 4 years I have taught mainly Mathematics.

In short, I would like to teach Mathematics or Business Studies (or Accounting) in a rural or remote location in Western Australia.

I have read the details about visa 457 on the Department of Immigration website. I accept all of the terms and conditions.

I have also read information about the Department of Education in Western Australia and their ability to sponsor teachers from the UK under the 457 visa scheme.

As background to my time-scale, I have had my teaching qualifications assessed by Teaching Australia (in November 2007). I have passed the IELTS test with an overall score of 8.5 (with a score of over 7.0 in all 4 areas) (in September 2007). And I am 34 years of age (35 in January 2009).

But I am not sure as to what are the 1st steps for a teacher in applying for this visa?

Do I simply ask the Department of Education in Western Australia to sponsor me? (And if so, how long does it take to get a final decision? And what information do you need to send in order for them to be able to make an informed decision as to whether to sponsor you or not? Is there a special form to fill out for this type of request?)

And who sends the final application form to the Department of Immigration? (Is it the Department of Western Australia acting as sponsor? Or do I send the form with some kind of supporting letter from the Department of Education showing their willingness to sponsor me?)

Any advice from anyone with experience in this domain (particularly from a teacher who has successfully been through this process) would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old May 6th 2008, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the 1st steps for a teacher wanting to get Visa 457 in WA?

Why do you want a temporary visa like 457, rather than a permanent visa?
Old May 6th 2008, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice
Default Re: What are the 1st steps for a teacher wanting to get Visa 457 in WA?

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I think I understand your question. The 457 visa has lots of obligations, and is very unpopular with a lot of people (from what I read on forums like this one), and I think this is because the obligations are very strict.

But I like the terms and conditions. And I like the idea that I can be offered a job before I leave the UK. I also like the simple idea of being picked up at the airport, and being able to spend 2 weeks in a hotel in Perth to enable me to familiarise myself with the country and my teaching post before starting work. I like the generous bonuses too, and the subsidised (sometimes free) housing. Living in a rural or remote community is also something that appeals to me.

Sure, the obligations are very strict, but for me personally I feel they are worth it in return for what the Department for Education would be giving me in return.

Kind Regards,

Gary