British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   The waiting is over.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/waiting-over-332366/)

Thadie Oct 19th 2005 2:28 pm

The waiting is over....

We have our visa at last - hope to validate in new year.

Now the next big hurdle is the TRA for my husband. We got the visa based on my qualifications so didn't have to face the TRA initially but now there is no putting it off.

So......any advice on how to approach this. My husband is an electrician and I have no idea what the next step is....I am assuming he will need TRA approval in order to work in Aus.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Thadie

kris maynard Oct 19th 2005 2:34 pm

Re: The waiting is over....

Originally Posted by Thadie

Now the next big hurdle is the TRA for my husband. We got the visa based on my qualifications so didn't have to face the TRA initially but now there is no putting it off.

So......any advice on how to approach this. My husband is an electrician and I have no idea what the next step is....I am assuming he will need TRA approval in order to work in Aus.

Thanks Thadie

CONGRATS on the visa!!!

Why does your hubby have to do TRA if you already have visa? Surley he will just have to do the courses for electricians once you get there!!
Someone will correct me if im wrong but i thought TRA was only done so you could apply for a visa!

Kris xx

Thadie Oct 19th 2005 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by kris maynard
CONGRATS on the visa!!!

Why does your hubby have to do TRA if you already have visa? Surley he will just have to do the courses for electricians once you get there!!
Someone will correct me if im wrong but i thought TRA was only done so you could apply for a visa!

Kris xx

Thanks for the congrats.....

You know I am really not sure about the TRA thing ! I thought I read somewhere that you needed TRA approval to work in Aus ie/ as electrician, if that is not the case then great, because hubby can just do the course once there to get a licence.

Perhaps someone could confirm this.

Many thanks

Thadie x

mandi248 Oct 19th 2005 3:21 pm

Congratulations on getting your visa :)

ohippy Oct 19th 2005 4:00 pm

Thanks for the congrats.....

You know I am really not sure about the TRA thing ! I thought I read somewhere that you needed TRA approval to work in Aus ie/ as electrician, if that is not the case then great, because hubby can just do the course once there to get a licence.

Perhaps someone could confirm this.

Many thanks

Thadie x

If you search previous threads you should see quite a few re electricians. I'm pretty sure TRA means nothing once you get to Oz and is just used for visa. Once you get there you have to start from scratch re qualifications !!

Dawn Oct 19th 2005 4:02 pm

Big Congrats :)

purple rain Oct 19th 2005 4:51 pm

brilliant, well done
jacqui

Anne4Terry Oct 19th 2005 5:33 pm

Congratulations:D I'm sure there's no need for TRA, just get yourselves out there.:D

JohnandMichelle Oct 19th 2005 6:28 pm

Thanks Thadie

Congrats on Visa. :D Re. your hubby working as electrician. Even though you didn't need TRA for Visa (which really isn't worth the paper its written on after a lot of hard work (TRA that is!)), hubby will need to personally attend TRA on arrival armed with references, apprenticeship papers, passport with visa, etc. I'm still learning about this myself in the case of a TRA Approval, but I think what then happens is if they are happy with his docs, they then post him out a TRA cert. He can then apply for a permit which allows him to work supervised while doing a practical and theory test (all to be paid for by him, btw) and then he applies for an electrical licence to work in the State. Do a search on the Australia Forum - there's loads on there - very helpful, but your head will be in a tizz after reading it all. (It took me a few days just to work out the above). Best of luck. Michelle

lacey21 Oct 19th 2005 7:01 pm

congrats Thadie
wonderful news Hugs Lace x

steve`o Oct 19th 2005 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Congrats on Visa. :D Re. your hubby working as electrician. Even though you didn't need TRA for Visa (which really isn't worth the paper its written on after a lot of hard work (TRA that is!)), hubby will need to personally attend TRA on arrival armed with references, apprenticeship papers, passport with visa, etc. I'm still learning about this myself in the case of a TRA Approval, but I think what then happens is if they are happy with his docs, they then post him out a TRA cert. He can then apply for a permit which allows him to work supervised while doing a practical and theory test (all to be paid for by him, btw) and then he applies for an electrical licence to work in the State. Do a search on the Australia Forum - there's loads on there - very helpful, but your head will be in a tizz after reading it all. (It took me a few days just to work out the above). Best of luck. Michelle

thats more or less spot on guys
saved me typing fingers ta

steve

you need to apply again to the TRA for a australian trade
certificate ( more paperwork i`m afraid ) i`ll email you info

JohnandMichelle Oct 19th 2005 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o

steve

You taught me everything I know, Steve. :D Have now decided to concentrate on organising other things, like house sale, dog shipping, etc but TRA in Brisbane will have to be hubby's first stop when we get to OZ. Thanks again for earlier e-mail. Hubby read it all after dinner. His main comment was that it seems to be a different story for different people, depending on who you talk to at the Powers That Be. A few very good tips in there though. Michelle

Thadie Oct 20th 2005 6:28 am

Originally Posted by steve`o

steve

Thanks guys for all your replies and advice.......guess I'll start reading up on this.

Thanks steve - I will e-mail you.

Cheers to all

Thadie x

Perthforme Oct 20th 2005 6:49 am

Thanks Thadie

Well Done:)

esku Oct 20th 2005 10:36 am

Congratulations...