Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Visitor Visa > Bridging Visa > Parent Visa, doable?

Visitor Visa > Bridging Visa > Parent Visa, doable?

Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:23 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visitor Visa > Bridging Visa > Parent Visa, doable?

I'm looking at the quickest and most effective way of bringing my mother in law out to live with us in Australia.

She's 86 so it's unlikely she'll be around that much longer.

Is it possible to get her out on a 12 month tourist visa then apply for a parent visa and get a bridging visa once the tourist one has expired.

I don't expect she'll be alive in the 20 years it takes to get a parent visa but just looking at a quick and cost effective way of getting her here.

Will she have to take out medical insurance?

I've spent ages Googling and ploughing through the immigration dept site but am going round in circles...
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor Visa > Bridging Visa > Parent Visa, doable?

Originally Posted by renth
I'm looking at the quickest and most effective way of bringing my mother in law out to live with us in Australia.

She's 86 so it's unlikely she'll be around that much longer.

Is it possible to get her out on a 12 month tourist visa then apply for a parent visa and get a bridging visa once the tourist one has expired.

I don't expect she'll be alive in the 20 years it takes to get a parent visa but just looking at a quick and cost effective way of getting her here.

Will she have to take out medical insurance?

I've spent ages Googling and ploughing through the immigration dept site but am going round in circles...
It's possible, but she should know that she can't intend to move here on a tourist visa. If she's asked at immigration what her reason for coming here is will she tell the truth and say she intends to live here or will she lie and say she's on holiday? Either way she faces the risk of being turned around at the airport if the immigration people don't believe her.

Yes, she will need private insurance. She will not be entitled to full Medicare, and at age 86 it's likely she's gonna need something elective sooner or later. Not sure if you read it or not, but I posted about the woman who needed an angiogram and since it was not deemed urgent she ended up having to go back to UK to have it done. (Medicare said that unless it was done because she was admitted acutely it was deemed elective and therefore not covered)

Alan Collett (GoMatilda) has an office on St George's Tce in the city. It might be worth a few $ to see him for a quick consultation.