Visa validating help!

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 8:41 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa validating help!

I believe that the new 4 year residency in OZ to be eligable to apply for citizenship comes into effect in July 07

If this is the case, would it mean if we validate before this date we will be on the old requirement of 2 years before we can apply for Citizenship?

we are going over on a 136 visa, family of four and was also wondering if myself the main applicant can validate on my own with the rest of the family to follow maybe 2 weeks or so later? would there also be any issue if lets say i validated 30th June before the changes come into affect and the rest of the family validated mid july after the changes come into effect would the rest of the family be on the new rules of 4 years residency before being able to apply for citizenship?

hopefully i have explained this properly

If i`m completely wrong on the residency/citizenship, sorry

John
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Visa validating help!

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
I believe that the new 4 year residency in OZ to be eligable to apply for citizenship comes into effect in July 07

If this is the case, would it mean if we validate before this date we will be on the old requirement of 2 years before we can apply for Citizenship?

we are going over on a 136 visa, family of four and was also wondering if myself the main applicant can validate on my own with the rest of the family to follow maybe 2 weeks or so later? would there also be any issue if lets say i validated 30th June before the changes come into affect and the rest of the family validated mid july after the changes come into effect would the rest of the family be on the new rules of 4 years residency before being able to apply for citizenship?

hopefully i have explained this properly

If i`m completely wrong on the residency/citizenship, sorry

John
The top sticky on this forum will tell you alot more (a lot to wade through!), but I think that if you validate before the date, you will be on the old rules, anyone validating afterwards will be on the new rules
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:04 pm
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by windog
The top sticky on this forum will tell you alot more (a lot to wade through!), but I think that if you validate before the date, you will be on the old rules, anyone validating afterwards will be on the new rules
I thought that if you were granted your visa before July you would still be on the 2 year rule.
Am i way off the mark ?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:15 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

I think it needs to be valiated before July to get the 2 year requirement.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreams of Oz
I thought that if you were granted your visa before July you would still be on the 2 year rule.
Am i way off the mark ?
It's not just the grant, but the validating of the visa that counts. You also have to have 2 years of actual living in Australia in order to apply for citizenship, not just be a visa holder.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:17 am
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's not just the grant, but the validating of the visa that counts. You also have to have 2 years of actual living in Australia in order to apply for citizenship, not just be a visa holder.
I m aware of that but i thought if our visas were actually granted before the new ruling comes into play in July then we would still come under the "old" rules for citizenship as it were.
A friend of mine who lives over there told me so but i have e-mailed my agent to check.
Will let you know what the professional says!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:20 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Your visa has to be validated before 1st July to come under the old 2 year requirement.

There is also some question of whether you will have to be present in Australia on 1st July too!?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=396979&page=9
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:29 am
A roo in my top paddock!

Originally Posted by ws99
Your visa has to be validated before 1st July to come under the old 2 year requirement.

There is also some question of whether you will have to be present in Australia on 1st July too!?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=396979&page=9
Dammit!We re just going to miss out on that then!
Still...... having to spend 5 years in Oz is hardly any hardship really is it ?!