Visa question please help

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:08 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa question please help

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well I've just dug out the last copy I downloaded, and it is in there, only less prominently, and its never to my knowledge been mentioned on here so I don't think its really been noticed before.
First time I've read the requirements for registering too - no need to live together for one thing, either before of after registering. I wonder if DIAC ask more searching questions as to the strength of the relationship if there is no proof of cohabitation?
I hope they do, or there's the huge risk of it being abused.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

ebriscombe is an unknown quantity at this point

According to the state of new south wales i'm not getting round or breaking any rules.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:10 pm

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebriscombe
According to the state of new south wales i'm not getting round or breaking any rules.
Technically, neither are the people who jump state.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

well from an ethical and legal point of view I'm pretty sure i'm covered.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

maybe its time to pipe down now since you were wrong.

Yeah thanks for your support pollyana.
There's no need to be rude. As I've said its something never noticed before - even by me and for a few reasons I have read that booklet lately!

Personally I'm not sure I like it - its not the equivalent of marriage - can be entered into more easily, and broken down more easily,
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Relationships.htm
so I'm not sure it should have the same status as far as DIAC goes. A married couple applying for the Spouse Visa are expected to live together after the marriage or have good and substantiated reasons as to why they aren't, otherwise they won't get PR after the 2 years. I hope this rule is applied equally to those claiming a de facto rel'ship under the umbrella of this law.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:14 pm

Hi guys,

Just an update, I called the department of immigration and they said that if you can prove that you spent the majority of your time still living together ie staying at each others house you may still qualify.
Or alternatively you can register as a defacto relationship at the NSW registry office which circumvents the one year requirement. Also while they are processing your application you can get a bridging visa if your current visa allows it which mine does.

I just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat.

All the best,

Ed
Circumventing the rule...

well from an ethical and legal point of view I'm pretty sure i'm covered.
Good for you.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:14 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I assume either you or your partner are NSW residents then? Or living in another State where a similar law is in place?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

I assume either you or your partner are NSW residents then? Or living in another State where a similar law is in place?
I came to nsw from qld a month ago, i'm not sure if they have similar rules...

Last edited by ebriscombe; Mar 23rd 2012 at 3:22 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:23 pm

I came from to nsw from qld a month ago, i'm not sure if they have similar rules...
If you're in Queensland, why were you looking at NSW rules?

(You might want to edit your post to make it clearer).
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
If you're in Queensland, why were you looking at NSW rules?
because I'm currently and for the forseeable future an NSW resident
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:24 pm

That makes more sense.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:26 pm
Home and Happy

Queensland doesn't. Far too radical for this lot up here!
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

There's no need to be rude. As I've said its something never noticed before - even by me and for a few reasons I have read that booklet lately!

Personally I'm not sure I like it - its not the equivalent of marriage - can be entered into more easily, and broken down more easily,
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Relationships.htm
so I'm not sure it should have the same status as far as DIAC goes. A married couple applying for the Spouse Visa are expected to live together after the marriage or have good and substantiated reasons as to why they aren't, otherwise they won't get PR after the 2 years. I hope this rule is applied equally to those claiming a de facto rel'ship under the umbrella of this law.

I've no issue with you, just mrsgreenstar is a bit embarassed that she was wrong became confrontational and disregarded what I said so I felt it was appropriate to point that out and finalise the conversation. In response to what you've said I can only assume this is the result of a federal government with state laws superceding federal laws like the liqour licensing laws being different in qld vs nsw.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:53 pm

I've no issue with you, just mrsgreenstar is a bit embarassed that she was wrong became confrontational and disregarded what I said so I felt it was appropriate to point that out and finalise the conversation. In response to what you've said I can only assume this is the result of a federal government with state laws superceding federal laws like the liqour licensing laws being different in qld vs nsw.
Oh really? Can you tell me how I'll be feeling next Wednesday at 7.33pm please?

I'm not embarrassed in the slightest. You wanted to circumvent the rules. We gave you the links that we had. Fair play, DIAC have altered them. Which we found out after Pollyana did what you couldn't be arsed to do.

It doesn't change my following points to Pollyana that this is open to abuse. I've been on here long enough to see that coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.